Ebook Bargains

It worked for me. This last giveaway, I only downloaded the Epub, instead of both. And then I emailed the epub to my kindle email and downloaded the book onto my phone. Everything seemed to go the way it always did with Mobi.

I suppose I haven’t tried to open the book in the app, since my book backlog is so huge and I’m still reading Dreadgod. But ok, I’ll open it now just to test it.

Ok, just tested it, everything looks fine.

As usual, when a fantasy book starts off with maps, I really want to look at the map in detail but the pinching and zooming in the Kindle app is never satisfactory. I should only get fantasy books on actual paper just so that I can stare at the map for hours. On ebooks I tend to just ignore the map for my own mental health. Just pretend it doesn’t exist so that I won’t be frustrated by it.

I just opened the same ebook in the Google Book app, the map is way less wonky. I can smoothly zoom in by pinching, and there’s a gorgeous amount of detail in these maps. But it’s still not the same as looking at a map in a book at the start or end of a book that I can constantly flip back to. Using bookmarks in these phone apps just isn’t the same.

But definitely the Google Book app works way better than the android Kindle app for these maps in Sanderson’s book.

Is this a standalone? I realize it is part of a world that encompass other books, but I’m not clear if it is part of a trilogy or something I can just enjoy on its own. Thanks.

Part of a series. I think there’s going to be four in total? Or it’s a finished trilogy, one of the two. It’s not the first book in it, either.

I think it depends on which kindle version you have of it’s supported.

Can’t you just update whatever version of the kindle app you have? Or are you talking about the Kindle tablets?

I think you’re right because I have a newer Fire HD and epub transferred just fine. Probably the best option for most is to download both until everything is set.

Bands of Mourning is book 3 of a 4-book series, that is a sequel to a previous 3-book series. You don’t have to have read the first trilogy (Mistborn is the first of those) to read the second series… though of course it’s the kind of deal where most people will have done so, there are non-critical references, etc. You definitely would want to read books 1 and 2 of the second (4-book) series that are immediate prequels. Tor has given them both away for free within the last month or two as well, and they’re on sale I believe if you missed those. (It’s all a big run-up to book 4 coming out in November.)

All of the books are very much Sanderson (which for me means consistently above-average books released with an extremely prolific pace of production). The original Mistborn is probably the best of them; he’s become a better technical writer as he’s gotten more experience, but there’s a reason that it was the springboard to more attention and the eventual WoT-finishing pickup.

Dedicated kindle readers. I suspect even the tablets don’t even need the app to read them, much less anything using the app

Are you using the Send to Kindle app or something else? Here’s what I get:

Screenshot 2022-09-13 181448

There’s no equivalent error message with the .mobi file.

I just email my Kindle email address.

https://www.amazon.com/sendtokindle/email?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_dls&dplnkId=172626e3-3cde-4cbf-823f-de15b7bc7d39

I think @vinraith is using the desktop app and the last time I tried to use that I had the same problem. I couldn’t get it to work either. The way @Rock8man is talking about is the easier way. I think if you go into your Amazon account settings under Kindle you can find your email to kindle email address. There might be one per kindle device to send right to that one but they still end up in your library.

You just send an email to that address with the ebook or pdf as an attachment.

I think the issue I had was sending large comic files and email wouldn’t work for that. I ended up just copying directly to the device from my computer.

I’ve got $7.50 in digital credit at Amazon, but it won’t credit more than $1.50 toward any Kindle book I select. WTF?

I was similarly stuck with only a couple bucks of like $20 of credit applying to books (it would calculate properly for buying/renting movies though), but it turned out that when I actually bought a book it applied my other credits properly when I checked the receipt. Now the rest of my credits are being applied properly again, so maybe it’s some weird glitch?

Cool, thanks — fingers crossed.

Books 2 and 3 of the last Joe Abercrombie series for $4.99 not an incredible price but better than normal.

Also Fritz Leiber Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser 1-7 on sale.

or if like me you bought the consolidated collection they have the second set of 4-6 on sale too.

Relentless Moon 2.99 until the end of the month on Kindle again (promo for Lady Astronaut book 4, The Spare Man coming out in a few weeks):

Actually, The Spare Man is a standalone book that’s not part of the Lady Astronaut series. Book 4 is The Martian Contingency, and it doesn’t have a release date yet.

That said, the first three Lady Astronaut books are good reads.

I haven’t read any of these Mythos collections yet but they popped on my Kindle deals email today and have good reviews. All three in the series are $2.99 each. They are themed to Al-Azif, Yog-Sothoth and Yig. If you click into the series you can see the others. I know I can always use a few more Cthulhu collections to add to the backlog ;-)

Interesting looking Fanatical bundle about pop culture and horror, nice theme for this time of year. There are three tiers (from $1 to $12) of books available for purchase. I’m not totally sure how into these I am, and if so what tier might work best, but I figured you folks might want to take a look.