Ebook Bargains

Since many of us have non-Kindle ebook readers and with Calibre we can always take any ebook and strip the DRM and side-load it onto our devices, I think a platform-agnostic ebook bargain thread is needed.

To kick it off B&N is offering ten Ray Bradbury ebooks at $1.99 each:

If you want something for a Halloween mood, October Country or Something Wicked are tough to beat.

Also, Kobo has a silly trivia contest going where you can get codes for a percentage off an ebook. I say it’s silly because you get to keep trying until you get the answer right and get the coupon. The coupons are good for 10%-75% off selected titles, but I find that they sometimes work on other titles too. Here’s the link:

http://contest.kobo.com/afterdarkstories/

Just spotted this QT3er’s book listed for free on Amazon:

Kobo often has discount coupons, including unlimited use 50% off coupons which I use frequently. If you head on over to the Mobileread site and check out the Deals forum and the Kobo thread is stickied.

Brandon Sanderson (of Mistborn and finishing Wheel of Time fame) has got his phenomenal The Way of Kings on sale @ Amazon for $1.26 at the moment.

One of his best in my opinion. Looking forward to the sequel.

The sequel must be coming out soon. I’m sure that’s why the publisher cut the price. I grabbed it. Thanks for the tip Armando.

I think it was scheduled for spring, like Feb/March. Great book though.

I was hoping for this one.

Thanks for sharing my little ebook, Mark.

Amazon just put my (first) urban fantasy on sale for me. I don’t seem to be able to control the pricing which is a bit annoying. Anyway it’s normally $4.99 and is on sale for $2.99. Amazon.com.

I’m still seeing it at 4.99 thanks for Amazon who always adds 2 bucks for every ebook I purchase. Yay not being american.

I’m American and it’s $4.99 for me too.

While I’m here, I just noticed that Michael Langlois’ pretty solid Cthulhoid horror novel Bad Radio got a sequel, Liar’s Harvest. So I went to Amazon to see what it’d run me, and it turns out that both books are currently available for the low, low cost of free for Kindle: Bad Radio and Liar’s Harvest.

Edit: ooh, because they just announced a coop boardgame based on the main character’s exploits during WWII.

Free is good. Thanks for pointing those out.

Mageborn Book One by Michael G. Manning is /r/FantasyBookclub 's book of the month for November, which lead me to discover that it’s also on sale (on US Amazon, at least) for $0.99, with the option to add the Audible audiobook for $2.99 more after purchase which is, uh, crazy. Hell, it’s also a Matchbook, so you could get the paperback, ebook, and audiobook for approximately $16.50 if you really wanted to.

There’s a whole bunch of volumes of Year’s Best SF and Year’s Best Fantasy available for $1 each on Amazon right now. SF appears to be volumes 1-11 (except, mystifyingly, #10), Fantasy goes through #5.

That’s several hundred pages of at least ostensibly high quality short fiction in those genres per dollar. Seems like a bargain to me!

Looks like these are also available at $1 in the Nook and Kobo stores. I didn’t check iBooks but I wouldn’t be surprised to find them there as well. So if you have an e-ink reader you can probably avoid sideloading by buying from your store of choice.

I’ve got a few volumes of these and found them rather enjoyable in paper. At least when I was reading, they would also run a contest to have artists do a piece or two for each story as the year went on, so you got some great imagery, too. No idea if that will translate well to the e-reader experience, though.

Yeah, it’s worth checking your store of choice. I’m just only ever going to report Amazon because that’s the only store I care about personally.

Any word on Tim’s Urban Fantasy pricing snafu? I’m up for trying something other than the Dresden files. I’m okay with a necromancer, as long as he doesn’t inexplicably start exploring the BDSM side of his writer’s personality with a couple of love interest characters halfway through the series.

Whoa! Checks - still on - well, $1.99!

Sorry about that. I didn’t change the price, that was something that Amazon did for unknown reasons. It’s back to it’s normal price of $4.99.

As far as the main character, he’s not into anything like that. There is a bit of romance but not pages and pages of it. I like writing action and dialog. If nothing else give the Kindle sample a whirl. Note. The book is stand alone for now. It has an ending with no tacked on cliff hangers. I have outlined a sequel but I need to get a new book into my publisher before I start on Many Ways to the Grave.