Elden Ring - George R.R. Martin and Hidetaka Miyazaki

Ah well, if it’s hard to join others, then maybe that will help wean me off of Elden Ring and try other games (I managed to get all Achievements and most of the good gear during my playthrough).

You can try invading? Liurnia is a good place for that, And activate the Blue ring and get called in as a Hunter.

Sadly neither of those options in ER is as fun as it was in DS3.

Why is that?

In DS3 (and other DS games) invasions could happen anytime the host was human, which would happen automatically any time a boss was killed. There was much more invasions, they could be 1 v 1 and so both invaders and blues had more opportunities.

Invasions in ER tend to be 3 v 1 affairs and so most invaders don’t stand a chance. And apparently the host’s summons are often the OP’d players.

Just picked this up last night based on all the discussions, disappointingly I did not realise it did not support 21:9 resolutions, also taking a risk as I totally suck at the same games so any total beginner advice would help

The first dark souls game you can play is to catch up on the thread. The difficulty balance seems to be a bit off, but that’ll prepare you for many bosses in elden ring.

(There is a ton of good advice up thread that is still spoiler free)

Don’t get get discouraged and if a location it is too difficult then try another location. The central and southern areas are the best early game spots.

Good luck and have fun.

Oh yea, don’t worry if you die because you will and don’t attack an NPC unless they attack you first. You will figure out the difference between an NPC and an enemy soon enough.

You can’t lock on to non-hostile NPCs as well I believe.

I think that was true with past games, not sure about ER. I do think once you aggro them you can lock on.

Did you decide on your focus? Magic, Incantations (Priest), or Melee?
Have you played Dark Souls in the past? The Ashes for weapons was incredibly confusing for me. So if you don’t know how that works (or spirit ashes) just ask!

One general tip. Don’t upgrade stats to increase perceived weapon damage early on. Only increase Str, Dex, Int, Faith if there’s a weapon you need to use and can’t because of the stat requirement. Vitality is really the most important stat in the early game.

I have briefly tried the dark Souls games and really suck at them. However this looks great. I always in the last 30 years play as a warrior / barbarian type and I think I am going to try magic this time and see if I can do better.

I was thinking Astrolger or Vagabond if Melee

Magic is quite powerful. Vagabond is the best melee. Get good at rolling if you go magic, and make sure your equipment load is never “heavy” or your rolls will be much slower. If you go melee, a nice mechanic in this game is guard counter, ie. blocking a hit with your shield or two-handed weapon and then you follow up with R2 for a heavy auto-hit. You hear a sound when that happens.

What platform are you on?

PC, i am wondering whether to go with a gamepad rather than keyboard on this one.

For the last few days I have had an issue with this game on the Xbox Series S. After over 100 hours of playing, the camera now keeps panning upward when I stop moving, and occasionally while I’m moving.

I’ve tried restarting the system, exiting the game, *downloading an update to the controller, nothing fixes it. What I haven’t tried yet is using another controller. But this isn’t happening with any other game with this controller, and the system/controller are only 6 months old.

Anyone else have this issue on the consoles?

• Did you know, there are updates to the controller in a separate menu? You actually have to go in there to see that there even is an update. You would think this would update automatically, I never even thought to go to that part of the system menu!

Are you only having the controller issue in this game, or is it system wide? I can’t think of an issue that would cause this within this game specifically.

Are you able to look at the accessories app on the XBox, and look at the input from the controller? I’m not sure if this is only an option for the XBox elite controller or not. That’ll show you whether the controller itself is generating input, which would mean that it’s a stick drift issue, which means either cleaning the controller (I talked about this in detail in the XBox elite controller thread) or replacing it.

Timex is probably right. These are classic stick drift symptoms. He helped me fix it in the Xbox thread! TLDR: Pry the controller open, clean the joystick module with contact cleaner.

Install this app on your XBox, and it’ll show you whether you’re getting drift.

Drift was the first thing that occurred to me, but I’ve played at least 5 or 6 other games in the past week and it only happens with this game. I saw a few people on Reddit mentioning the same issue, though there was no talk of a fix.

It’s possible that the drift’s minor enough that some games don’t notice. If you look at it in the accessories app though, you’ll see exactly what the controller is outputting for each stick.

Ok, will try that, thanks.