Elden Ring - George R.R. Martin and Hidetaka Miyazaki

Based on the complaining most people hate the invasions while loving co-op. There is already a mod that allows co-op without invasions and that increases the parameters of multi-player.

It is as much a multi-player game as a single player game.

I came here to post almost this exact thing and stopped myself with, “I should do a quick thread search first…”. Sure 'nuff, I am not alone!!

FROM is really slow at putting it’s games on sale, and ER came out in all platforms while FROM basically ended online play for the DS games.

Who said this?

Out of touch publishers have in the past made rumblings along these lines. Off the top of my head, I’m pretty sure EA has said this and then walked it back, somewhat recently.

It was 12 years ago, and you won’t find any voices worth mentioning that have said this anything along these lines recently. Even as a meme it’s kind of washed up but I keep hearing it so I thought maybe something had changed. Nope…

Well, EA said it again in 2017 but that’s now what I was thinking. Someone was tossing that shit around again this year but then put out a statement walking it back. I think it was also EA - basically it’s constantly EA saying dumb shit against single player games, despite the fact they make a lot of single player games. In any case, I’m pretty confident @Woolen_Horde was just being facetious.

Here it is, I knew it was very recently this happened.

Excellent.

Well, for the PC. But the co-op mod is not available to all of us playing on consoles (PS5 here) which is a pretty decent percentage,

I think the last patch may have effected the mod, but I am not sure about that. I think I saw comments on Steam about it.

So I haven’t quite put the game away yet. I am prepping for NG+ as a mage. So I needed to level up some gear.

Knowing I will respec and go into it with pretty good dex and INT stats, what staff should I level up? I have probably most of the spells available so I can go anywhere with it and slots are not a problem.

Haven’t started this up for a month (mainly because of holidays) and find I’m reluctant to do so now. From what I recall, I was lvl 100-ish, yet wherever I went, everything hit like a ton of bricks, even lowly wolves and stuff. Losing half my life or more no matter what I did or fought became annoying, and dying after two hits because you mess up once, even against non-bosses, started to piss me off. I know it’s supposed to be that way (hard), but to me, it felt as if all my progression in lvl and gear, which was quite noticeable up to a certain point, just vanished when I entered the next zone. I don’t mind getting my ass kicked by the bosses, but at lvl 100 I would have liked to at least feel somewhat more powerful against ‘normal’ enemies.
Anyway, I’ll probably start it up again at some point. But for now the vacation-break appears to be a long one…

The last character I made pretty much trivialized the game, but it was still frustrating post capitol. For me, the game was ‘hard but fun’ up to that point, but once you get to the capitol and beyond, it just became masochistic.

I still think it’s one of the best games ever made, but I wish there was a way to control your own experience with the game. If I had more control of the difficulty, I’d probably play this game for decades, because it would be so much fun to go through the game with sub-optimal builds.

MJG75

Mind giving us some details? What’s your basic build? Go-to weapons, summon ashes - and the upgraded levels of those. The zone or zone’s your stuck at currently.

If you have beaten Rennala and have a larval tear you could and maybe should re-spec into something more viable. (If you do not have a tear we can steer you in the direction of some early ones.)

I know for me I banged my head for quite a while before busting out. And I genuinely feel like getting to play all over again in NG+ is like the reward for gutting out the first play through.

NG+ easy until you get 95% of the way thru the base game.

I don’t know what level you may be at or your build but don’t be afraid to put levels into health. Take it to 50. And this is a game, don’t worry about over leveling, if this is your first time thru on this type game then the object is to just have fun. Level the stats that make your build better. There are guides all over the internet showing guys going into the low 200s, others with guys going to 50-60. So do what works for you.

Even after they nerfed bleed it is still easy mode. Consider it.

I might do so when I start it up again, but I don’t think it’s the build or the weapons. I have loads of vitality, upgraded summons (mimic and that headless lady, mostly), a valid bleed-build combined with some ranged faith-based spells, loads of great, upgraded weapons etc. I can (ultimately) handle most of what I encounter. However, I’m not (and will never be) perfect at dodging, so sometimes I do get hit. And because they apparently decided to increase the damage output of everything I meet immensely, every hit will now take at least half my health. And if I mess up twice, I’m dead. Which means I don’t use those rune arcs anymore because I’m afraid I’ll lose them to some stupid giant crab that I could easily beat 50 levels earlier. Or an accidental hit from some stupid magic arrow I can’t avoid. It’s just not fun anymore.
I did beat Renalla, and I have plenty of larval tears, so I might pick it up again and respec sometime in the future. But for now, I’m done. (perfect example btw: that huge rolling ball in the area where I picked up most of my tears and my Mimic. Easy to beat, but mess up once and you are dead. And I always mess it up at least once…)

I’m a DS newbie, i.e. I bounced off of Demons Soul on the PS5 after trying a few times, but the open world nature of Elden Ring seduced me. I suck at melee games in general. In open world games I always prefer to be a stealthy range kind of guys (e.g. sniper, bow, etc.)

I’ve read people who are level 40 or so going through Stormveil, the Academy, etc. and it made me think, I really, really suck at this. At level 40 I struggled in a lot of places. My reflexes just aren’t what they used to be and the split second roll timing people depend on eluded me.

But I love the world. I was gone from the game for about 2 months, and when I was able to play again I didn’t feel any “pull” to get back in. But I decided to try Ranni’s quest line and I was hooked again.

But here is my dirty secret: I have no shame at getting overleveled. I have spent way too much time rune farming (though the only way I had access to, the rolling ball one, which only gives you about 2000 per run, though you can run quickly.) Between that and more playing, I’ve gotten up to about 120. Put a lot into Vigor then INT (playing a Mage with a Moonveil and Meteorite staff, throwing a lot of Sling Rocks.) Then instead of just “playing the game” outside of Ranni’s quest, which is interesting even if I have to use a guide to know what to do next, I’ve used a map to look for the items to upgrade my Moonveil (somber stones.) It’s now +8 and I have a +9 stone in my radar screen (haven’t found the +10 stones yet.) I also, in doing Ranni’s quest, finally found the Mimic summons (I’d been using Headless before, only up to I think +4) and I have focused on getting the upgrade materials to max it out. On the way, found the Wing of Astel which is a lot of fun also.

At 120, with pretty good Vigor (not at home, sure wish there was an online way to see your inventory and stats!) and my Moonveil up to +8, I take out a lot of “routine” stuff easily, and I die most often to new bad guys that hit me with something unexpected. Or when I get mobbed. I’ve take out Godrick, of course, and Renalla (with some help from people here on my approach - I was getting slaughtered, then with a suggestion on my approach from someone here, I beat her easily) and at least one other major, I still HATE skeletons, and will still die to them in dungeons/caves, as I have an easy time killing them but a hard time hitting them when they’re on the floor to “keep” them killed, and I let myself get surrounded and mobbed by them. But I’m able to do well enough to enjoy the game where I am.

Where I am: in the underground, Nokron and Ainsel River, still areas I haven’t gotten to there. Finished the Academy and only gone north as far as to where I needed to start Ranni’s quest (Caria Manor finished.) I’m holding my own.

That is too long, but as someone who sucks at DS games, I’d recommend figuring out your optimal weapons and then focus on maxxing them out, perhaps start Ranni’s quest which is enjoyable and get the Mimic then focus on maxxing it out, then exploring again.

Don’t worry, be happy.

Level up to your hearts content. It is your game to play, you paid for it, have fun.

And remember, while you can’t run past the main bosses you can pretty much run past everything else.

Quoting myself from the spoiler thread, just to set your expectations on when you can expect to do the final upgrade for Moonveil or WOA:

Thanks @Thierry_Nguyen - saved me from some futile searches.