Elden Ring - George R.R. Martin and Hidetaka Miyazaki

Same. I wanted to play a Persona game. Not deal with my character going to high school, taking classes, and tests?? Needless to say, I didn’t get very far in the game. I have over 350 hours in Elden Ring. I used to dislike Souls games, but now I can’t get enough Elden Ring.

I try to distance myself from popularity, so I’m surprised how elated I am that Elden Ring earned top honors at The Game Awards. I’m so happy for Miyazaki and all of the team at FromSoftware.

Agreed. I didn’t care until I saw that Miyazaki cared, and he said it meant a lot to his team. So I’m really glad he won now.

But they didn’t announce a DLC. 😭

They didn’t not announce DLC either tho

I expect there will be one eventually. All DS games have at least one.

All the Demon’s Souls games have none.

Miyazaki said they weren’t done with Elden Ring in his speech.

It’s already been all-but-confirmed by a leak. It will supposedly feature the land the Tarnished wandered after banishment, where Wrestlemania Man came from.

So, my game starts and then just freezes and crashes now, unless I stay in Limgrave.

Anyone had this happen to them?

And after the game freeze, Steam goes slow, and Task Manager shows it using 60% of my CPU resources…

I haven’t had that problem. Stuttering is kinda a normal problem from time to time. I don’t know how to do it but the game forum on steam could tell you but guys are always recommending people should “verify” their files. I think that’s what they call it.

Look on the Steam ER discussion page and there should be a thread that might help.

Had you NOT played a Persona game after the second one? Because that’s been the formula since. Or did you mean a Shin Megami Tensei game?

So I’ve never played a Souls game. @Scotch_Lufkin is a jerk and gifted this to me, knowing I’d be obligated to play it. So I did, this is my (abbreviated) 5 hour experience with it.

I chose a bandit. No real reason, according to half of the things I’ve read, that doesn’t matter.
I managed to get the horse and find the creepy girl that leveled me up.
I got my ass beat so hard so many times that I chose to go guide hunting.
I used the guides and went and found a Twinblade, which is fast and fun to use.
I went and picked up a shield with 100% physical resist or whatever.
I’m still only level 10. The only thing I can reliably fight are the zombie-like humans in the forest at night and the human guards outside the castle gate where you meet horse girl.
I found a dungeon with imps in it that bleed me to death when they hit me twice. And they do, because they move unpredictably and I am either not fast enough to dodge, or smart enough to block, or good enough to be there yet.
I managed one time to open the door to the boss and used the cool spectral dog summon that a witch girl gave me to try and fight it. It looked like a big guy with a hammer, but it’s difficult to say because I was dead so fast that I’m not sure what happened.
Somehow this is GOTY. It must just be me, though, as it’s universally loved. I’m gonna go back to my janky simulators I guess.

I recently started playing it too, though I had a better idea of what to expect since I’ve played other Fromsoft games in the past. But yeah, I’m surprised how popular this game has become considering its difficulty and lack of direction. It definitely requires a lot of patience, especially when fighting the bigger baddies. At least with Elden Ring if you hit a wall, there are plenty of other things to do and places to explore.

Amazing game…GOTY for me for sure. Getting back into it … if you’ve never played souls games, it will be jarring, if you’ve played souls games, it will be wonderful.

Those fuckers (imps) killed me even when I got good, and levelled up a bit, due to their seeming unpredictability. But at that point, it was only when I slipped. Knowing when to block, dodge, hit, and when to haul ass is key.

Keep at it. I always suck at action games and I managed to get pretty far in this game (though I haven’t finished; after 100 hours, I took a break).

It’s extremely satisfying when you make progress, and if you explore a bit, you will find enemies you can handle.

The game is weird in that even the smallest enemies, the Imps, birds and dogs, can be the most deadly.

The game isn’t for everyone. I like to call it Skyrim only with real combat. You have to learn to dodge rather than block, and spamming the R1 button will drain your stamina and get you killed.

Don’t get frustrated, try to learn from every death and just try to have fun.

If you play it for a while more, you’ll be rewarded

I think this is why it is popular, requires some commitment from a player.

You need to commit to getting your ass kicked.