Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

I think it was here that someone posted a link to a 200-page fan-made 'pdf that was supposedly more comprehensive than the manual. Now that I’ve jumped off the fence, can someone repost it, please?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34437

That might be the one? And it seems that Frontier are away until the 5th (or so i read), so don’t go using that exploit and maybe don’t go doing lots of difficult stuff just in case the problem is a big problem and they work out they do need to do a wipe. And i echo sharaleo on how crazy it is to have an on-line MMO type game and week after launch all (seemingly) go on holiday!!! Welcome to the British way of doing things ;)

The server problems seemed to get resolved for me last night, so I think someone was manning the fort. My issues had largely disappeared by the time I logged out around 10:00pm MST (05:00GMT). A quick browse of the forums make it sound like the servers are working much better currently, but I’m at work so I can’t speak from personal experience. Maybe it’s the fanboy crew talking in the server status thread I looked at (EDIT: Yep, from looking on Reddit seems like there’s still issues. Sigh.).

Either way, there definitely was a deafening lack of communication with the playerbase. It’s understandable to have problems and it’s also understandable that you’re going to be running with a skeleton crew on New Years, but it wouldn’t have hurt to keep people updated on the issue via the forums.

Thanks for the advice, Krayzkrok! It’s working great. I’m halfway to Zeta Aquilae now, and I’ve already sold much of my exploration data. I’ve been running empty, so cargo mass isn’t an issue, but I do know how to use the cargo-slider in the navigation menu to test my range with various cargo loads. I’m now up to 55,000 credits or so now. Appreciate the help!

Yes, Forgers guide. That’s it.

Krayzkrok, grats on the new weaponry. I’m curious: When you are offered a pirate mission, how do you know how challenging the enemies will be?

I’m HAL 9001 in the game. I’ve been playing both on JPINARD and Veloxi. I rarely see anyone, and I don’t know how to say hello. :)

Open the comms panel, select the friend or local ship, then choose text chat. Friend req incoming from Queebatron.

My EDTracker is ready!! My EDTracker is ready!! I am so excited, I just hope it arrives quickly from jolly old’ England.

That’s the one. Thanks.

The “Clean” in anarchy systems conundrum is solved by using a Kill Warrant Scanner. You use it, then look over at your left “Contacts” panel to see any bounties the target may have on him/her in another system.

Is it safe to buy and sell stuff yet? I just got home, if it’s not safe yet, I’ll just do some bounty hunting. And maybe look up where the hell Gilgamesh is so that I can make my way over to where Krok and Kadath are.

EDIT: Things seem to have fixed themselves. The parts I bought twice are now mine. No idea if the money I lost is back or not, I wasn’t paying enough attention.

No worries though, even if I did lose the money. Shrug. It’s fun earning it back. That’s the whole point of this game.

EDIT2: Oh yes, and for the first time, instead of open game, I’m playing in Veloxi group. No idea why. I’d have thought all of Veloxi would be playing in Open play, but I’m still not clear on why we’re doing what we’re doing.

Not sure, haven’t seen any kind of announcement. I’m gonna stick with bounty hunting for the time being.

I just got destroyed by a Mostly Harmless Wanted man called Drizzle. How embarrassing. Apparently a Federal Dropship just takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I pounded him for a good 4 or 5 minutes, but he just took it, with his shields down the whole time. And when he got shots on me, they were pretty devastating.

Mostly harmless or not, watch out for Federal Dropships. Ouch. $10k credits insurance hit.

I’m going back in for seconds. Where are you Drizzle?

He’s probably a friend of Julie Steiner.

-Tom

Are you using the sub-system targeting?

Helps a lot with the bigger ships.

I have never used it. What sub-systems should I target on the bigger ships? The Federal dropship was the first big ship I fought, over an extended period too. I would have had plenty of time for subsystem targeting if I’d thought of it. Since I don’t have Gimballed weapons or turrets, does that mean I have to target the sub-systems myself? Or do they do a little bit of auto-aiming assist to help you out once you have the subsystem targeted?

I just fought a pair of Outlaws. A Competent pilot in an Aras (sp?) and an Expert pilot in an Eagle. I thought the first pilot would be harder to kill, but he was pretty simple to take out compared to the Eagle. The Eagle was running circles around me the whole time. If a Federation ship hadn’t been fighting him at the same time throughout the fight, I wouldn’t have won this one.

Now, I’m thinking maybe I should buy an eagle and give it a try. They’re so fast and agile!

From what I’ve seen watching streams, targeting the power plant is the way to go with the dropships and Anacondas and such.

Where do I start?

I took the leap and amassed a ton of links to user guides, tutorials, videos, guides to keybinding, etc. etc. It’s almost too much information, and I’m starting to suffer analysis paralysis.

Should I just forget about all that stuff right now and start with the basic tutorial?

Yes, do the basic tutorial, then docking tutorial, then revist your control mapping to make sure you are reasonably happy, then just jump into the world and do some delivery missions and trading. You’ll get your feet wet on the basics quickly then can look at the guides when something specific takes your fancy.