Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Not sure if you consider this site cheaty, but give this a try: http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/

Hit Search, specify commodity, station selling, Combat Stabilizers, your current system and reach, and voila – locations!

Yeah, I lost a chunk of change to server issues. Should’ve just logged out. Sigh.

Wow, just got back a few days ago from laptop only land. Took me an hour to get caught up in this thread. Thanks to the encouragement of this thread, I think I’m going to give K&M another go.

Do we know if they’re resolved by now?

@krayzkrok No problem re: the message. I think you just have to open the comms panel (however you have that mapped), click on the person’s name and pick “text chat.” Or, maybe, just hitting return (or whatever you have set as “quick comms”) will open up a box that sends a return message–I know it does once you’re in a conversation with someone, but it may not if you haven’t yet replied once.

I’ve got the magnificent sum of 41,000 credits now, still using my newb Sidewinder. (I don’t have the Freagle.) As always, I have questions.

1. The Fed Navy has started offering me a mission to gain a rank, but they always ask for weapons that I can’t find to buy. I suppose sooner or later I’ll find someone who will sell me personal weapons or such. Is it important to gain ranks?

2. Also, I’ve got 20,000 credits in exploration data saved up, but my newb ship won’t let me jump far enough to get 20 LY away to sell any of it. If I get blown up, will I lose all that data? I’m wondering if I should make it a priority to upgrade my jump distance somehow.

3. Finally, what ship should I get next if I want to try mining and trading? The Hauler?

(Edited because I reposted my earlier questions by accident.)

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like a Hauler is what I want. OK, I’ll keep trying to find a system 20LY away. It seems there’s one jump I just can’t make, and no other route out, but I could be wrong. I’m in the Frigaha (Frihaha?) area. Er, the area with the Maine Hub and such. Gah, can’t remember any of the names. :)

Are these guys back from the holidays working hard on patches? Is there a mega-patch coming soon or anything? Just planning out my backlog.

Eravate! That’s the name of the system that gives me the most work. Danged if I can’t find a way to get 20 LY away in my newb ship.

I thought it was just me but yeah the servers have been wonky today. Luckily I didn’t lose any spacebucks.

That did the trick! I can understand the devs not wanting to hand over all trade data to players on a silver platter but there has to be a better way of finding stuff other than jumping to random systems to see their inventory.

[QUOTE=Spock;3689920]I’ve got the magnificent sum of 41,000 credits now, still using my newb Sidewinder. (I don’t have the Freagle.) As always, I have questions.

1. The Fed Navy has started offering me a mission to gain a rank, but they always ask for weapons that I can’t find to buy. I suppose sooner or later I’ll find someone who will sell me personal weapons or such. Is it important to gain ranks?
    QUOTE]

This is exsactly what I had trouble with this evening. Use the link tylertoo shared above to find the goods you’re looking for. You can easily get 20+LY away from your present position provided you refuel at stations along your route or buy a fuel scoop. I bought my first fuel scoop today and it’s a real hoot racing around stars for free gas.

Game seems to have a steeper learning curve than EVE.

Login, try to play with joypad and find out that it isn’t really optimal so I go back to keyboard/mouse. Eventually manage to fly towards a different system using supercruise, end up flying around a bit until I see where the waypoint is… overshoot it several times as the button used to activate it, or the throttle, doesn’t seem to disable it, find a forum thread that tells me to press ‘c’ which does nothing, but another that tells me it is the ‘j’ button.

Find the space station I want to visit, activate it on the left-hud, but there is no dock option, I fly closer and get a warning and infraction, I fly away and look around on the left hud, find a different hud screen on the left side hud that has the ‘docking’ option, I enter the station and am told to dock at 44. Only a few numbers lighted up, but as I fly in closer I find the correct landing pad. Meanwhile 3 ships are blown up around me inside the station.

I fly towards the docking beacon thingy that lights up… but do not get the “docking” computer switch, so I move up, down, left, right, left right, forward, backward until I get ‘tone’ and proceed to try to put my big ship in the circle… which it seems to be, the clock is ticking down, I try repeatedly to get it to land, but it seems to be something wrong so it will never connect despite it being in the circle, so maybe my ship has the wrong orientation and I try the other 3 “directions” in case there is a ‘face this way to dock’ on the pad.

Eventually I decide that this isn’t working, maybe I should try to ‘redock’ so I pull up the left side hud and cancel my docking attempt and quickly ask for another…
Now a different screen tells me that I am in violation of docking and am fined 500 credits, with 20 second countdown. So I try to fly out of the station.

And I become the 4th ship blown up inside the station in 6 minutes.

I have done that exact thing before when I started playing, instant0.

It sounds like you found the docking option in the left hud menu. I have noticed the lighted numbers for docking bays go out sometimes, but normally using yaw to rotate around will make them come back, I believe.

On the actual docking, it does matter that once you get into the detailed zoom in your scanner when you are close to the docking bay where it shows the picture of your ship and the red/blue colors for when you are lined up that your ship does indeed need to be facing forward and also make sure you are down all the way. In my early days, I would just slowly fly in until I was above the dock and hit X to set 0 speed. Then I would use the down thruster slowly in small bursts until I got to the ground and using left and right thrust on the keyboard to position properly. If I wasn’t orientated properly, many times I would down thrust until I would be scraping metal on the floor, but it didn’t seem to matter much and then just Yaw (spin) around until it was facing properly and it would dock. If I was too far forward or back, I would accelerate very slowly forward or backward with my finger on the X key to stop immediately if I over did it on the thrusters.

I have no idea if that helps or not, but that is what I recall and figured it may help until you get the hang of things :). Heck, I still dock in this manner many times, heh.

First off, don’t forget there is a Docking training mission you can practice all you want, in the Training menu!

As to helping you in-game: navigating the panels can definitely be tricky, but here’s how you request docking permission with a stock keyboard setup. First make sure you’re <= 7.50 km away. You can start this process before 7.5 km if when you request permission you’re closer than 7.5. Slow down if you need to. Go into a full stop if you need to (default key ‘X’)!

Hold left shift and then press ‘A’ to pull up the left panel.

Now the thing to note is that each panel can have tabs on it. You navigate the panel tabs by using ‘Q’ and ‘E’ to move the selection left and right. You navigate left and right within a tab by hitting ‘A’ and ‘D’. You navigate up and down in a list by using ‘W’ and ‘S’, with hitting the spacebar as select. So in general terms, on a panel you use ‘Q’ and ‘E’ to get to the tab you want, ‘A’ and ‘D’ to get to the area within the tab you want, ‘W’ and ‘S’ to move up and down lists to the item you want, and spacebar to select it.

For landing permission:

Tap ‘E’ to tab to the right until you have the ‘Contacts’ tab highlighted. Then hit ‘S’ until the station is highlighted. Hit spacebar to talk to them. There will be 3 choices (I think ‘Lock Target’, ‘Request Docking Permission,’ and ‘Cancel.’ Hit ‘S’ and ‘W’ until ‘Request Docking Permission’ is highlighted. Hit spacebar. Then tab your left shift again to get out of the screen.

This should leave you with docking permission, and the your docking pad and the landing countdown should be displayed just below your viewport in the middle of your screen.

instant0, in addition to Kelan’s excellent and specific suggestions, I would say more generally: yes, this game is unforgiving. I would suggest that if you want to get better at docking and landing without the risk of getting blown up, do so in the tutorials. You’ll get to the point where you’re more proficient and then when you dock and land in the game, the time allotted will seem more than sufficient.

There’s also a travel tutorial, though you can mess up in traveling in-game (as you’ve done) without great risk. The best advice I received from this forum about travel is to keep your throttle in the blue zone during SC and hyperspace, then throttle down near arrival to keep the estimated time left at :06-:08 seconds. Then you won’t overshoot. Works every time.

EDIT: ninja’d by Charlatan about the tutorials!

Yeah! That was fun! We need to get more folks together sometime. I was glad you got the kills on some of those after our bad luck the last time. I have to work the next two days so won’t be on much until Sunday unfortunately.

Now that I am getting the hang of the game a bit, I am wondering if the federation is the faction I want to be working on. Up until now I have just been taking whatever missions I can get while bounty hunting to get a decent ship and modules, but I have no idea if I really want to go up in ranks with the federation. This game is so wide open that it will be hard to get us all on the same page, but I am curious if there are others that want to band together in one system/area and work on a certain faction together.

For now, though, I am hanging around Gilgamesh, which was a recent gathering point for some folks and at least krayzkrok and I have got into some fighting together. Anyone else have any ideas on something that may be fun to work on as a group? Even just picking a faction and area would be cool and perhaps we could run defense for each other on mining operations or other calls for help that people might need. Being close to the same system opens up more options at least. I know at least for myself I don’t really have time to buzz 100 LY and still have time to play in a game session so already being in a system with others nearby helps me a lot.

Another thing that seems like it could be fun to try someday (not sure if it would be in practice, though) is to delve deep into an uncharted part of the galaxy and set up shop somewhere lucrative and hang out as a group in that area for a while. I have no idea if that fits in with this game or not, but the idea intrigues me sort of like a wormhole would be in Eve Online or something. I wonder if this could work and whether there would be any money to be made doing this. Even if not, it may be an enjoyable adventure.

I haven’t logged in this morning, but by the looks of the Frontier official forum, the server problems of yesterday are still problems, and folks are going apeshit. It seems that Frontier had no one minding the store because it was a bank holiday. No dev has responded about the problems AFAIK.

Some folks on the forum make the point (that I happen to agree with) that if they release an online game a few weeks before the holidays, even a small team should have someone around during the holidays.

What draws my concern most, though, is that apparently some clever folks figured out an exploit because of the server woes that netted them millions, and the exploit was even posted on the forum so more joined in. Now others are calling on Frontier to do a pre-Jan. 1 rollback.

The whole thing seems a bit of a mess now, and Frontier hopefully will announce something today.

Try logging back in, I wouldn’t be surprised if you have your money. All my transactions (selling exploration data, munitions costs, purchasing beam lasers) ended up going through but I had to log off for a good 10 minutes or so before it all was sorted.

I’m honestly not sure, but I think it’s okay now. During the server fuckery, it made me spend at least 30k to repair myself multiple times, plus I purchased a better KWS so I lost track. I think those losses were still reflected when I logged in earlier this morning.

I tried that a few times last night. I not sure if i got my money back. Its weird, my money went down again but my cargo was full again. I’m not worried about the loss. It’s crazy this hasn’t been addressed yet. Who unplugged the bat phone?

Edit: just completed a 4 stop trade loop. Everything seemed fine. Still out a few space bucks though.

I do hope they learn a lesson about support for their not-an-MMO, no-offline-mode and always online title. You’re now running a 24x7 service guys, you can’t walk away for the weekend without contingency in place.