Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

I could use some weapon upgrade recommendations for my Sidewinder. I’m running with two class E beam lasers with fixed mounts and while I enjoy the challenge of fixed mount weapons it’s not uncommon for a Cobra to FSD away after he’s gotten a good pounding. Maybe I need a gimbaled multicannon?

Sorry to ask again but is anyone here involved in the story elements?

Also does gaining ranks in the Federation lower your standing with the Empire?

Not me. I’m just a varyingly semi-honest businessman trying to make a space living. According to the galnet news feed, there are some systems trying to leave the Federation (or Empire, I forget) and I suppose if enough people pile into the conflict zones in those systems, their fate will be decided depending on how each side fares in the fighting.

I’ve gotta say re: some of the pads on the outposts, they don’t make much sense. Look at pad #2 on the Industrial Oupost model. It’s oriented so you have to make a landing approach around the left side a big ol’ structure that’s right in the way. Either that or come down on it directly from above nose first, then flatten out, or slide in sideways. It would make more sense to turn the pad around so you approached from the other end, which is relatively unobstructed.

Yes! I was wondering f I was the only person who felt that way.

I departed the Gilgamesh region over the weekend and headed down to Sanna to try to participate in the next warzone that I believe should happen soon in the next day or two. They had some Galnet announcements about it, but it sounds like it isn’t quite active yet although I haven’t checked yet this morning.

I ended up going up a couple ranks with the Federation after hitting friendly to them. While doing a few missions also while in Sanna, I am now allied with one of the local factions there that is associated with the Federation. It appears that ships that are parts of factions that are friendly to you appear as a light green blip on the scanner and light green ship outline and normal orange lettering out in space as you see them, but allied ships are a darker green and both the ship and the lettering become dark green. That is pretty cool.

I believe a few of us are going to hang out down here in Sanna and try to participate in the Federation side, Cortilian and I so far, and Harkonis is here and will most likely be joining the other side. We are still hanging out in mumble daily so feel free to PM me or Harkonis for mumble server info. I have learned a ton of things from those guys just chatting while playing. There is a nice Empire system with a large selection of modules next door in an Empire system at CD-52 187 at the Barmin City dock and Sanna has Federation stations although they don’t have a big selection of module and ships. I believe Barmin City at least has the main combat ships of Sidewinder, Asp, Viper, Python Cobra at least. I see a fair amount of mining rings and resource extraction sites, but I am not sure how good the mining or trading is around there.

I am close to having a fully A-fit Viper and concentrating mostly on pirate hunting for now. I really want to get a Cobra also for mining and deeper space exploration, but I keep wanting that next module on my Viper. I just hit Competent rank for combat so that is going along pretty well, but I have yet to break off a space rock mining or do any trading. I did manage to gain a few credits smuggling, though, heh.

Thanks for all that. I finally succeeded last night after several more attempts. Interesting that when saving the game right on top of the outpost, reloading it starts you 8-9 meters away. It actually made later attempts easier.

Is this a stupid setup for my Adder?

• Top is a pulse laser turret (I like the 360* attack capability)
  • Bottom #1 is a fixed beam laser
  • Bottom #2 is a gimballed burst laser

Was thinking of changing my Beam Laser to a gimballed or my Burst Laser to fixed. Though I have a very good power plant and power distributor, with my crappy aim I just can’t keep my weapons charged up.

I’m running a fixed beam on the lower, complemented by a mining laser for other activities. I have a gimballed multi-cannon on top which comes out to play once I get shields down. If I was purposely headed out bounty hunting I’d replace the mining laser with another beam. I’d upgrade both lowers to gimballed as well, given the coin.

The missions I had - some of them gave me the stuff to carry. Not certain if there is a way to tell when they will (well one of them was some type of test item so they did supply that but the other was beer and they supplied it).

Basically any mission which has you take goods from your current location to another station will give you the item, while the missions that require you to bring the items to your current location won’t.

Thanks! It was expensive but I went gimballed laser beam and I am wiping stuff out at least 3x as fast as before.

Is anyone else having communications problems with open text? I can’t text anyone unless they’re right in front of me in the actual game.

I think krayzkrok has mentioned problems communicating via text. I’ve not really tried it, tbh.

It doesn’t work consistently. I have successfully sent text communications in different star systems, though. Last night I was having all kinds of issues trying to get any message through to my friend.

Technically, you’re supposed to be able to text friends-list people that happen to be online, but I think it depends a lot on ping times, just as does your ability to be in the same instance with someone else and be able to see them.

I too have had consistency issues with the text comms in the game. Some friends it’ll go through to, some it won’t. Sometimes a message will successfully go to someone dozens of LY away, yet not to someone in the exact same RES as me. So freaking weird.

Thanks for feedback. Gonna see what I can manage to scrounge up today.

Last night I made a excel spreadsheet with all the prices for the stations I been visiting, so I could find the best materials to buy for my whopping 6 cargo slots :)

Spreadsheets are useful but just in case you (or anyone else in this thread) doesn’t know, the game does provide some information to you. When you’re in a station at the Commodities Market, notice the Galactic Average column header has a little drop down menu. Click on it, and you can select different systems you’ve visited to get the related trade data.

As a complete aside, just because I’m on the subject of useful things people might not know, I see a lot of complaints on various forums about docking at the large space stations and trying to find the entrance. The general advice I see is that the entrance faces towards the planet. It’s easier than that, though, because if you have the station targeted and request docking, the target hologram of the station has arrows that point towards which side has the entrance.

Apologies if I’m just repeating well-known information. :)

And if you can’t be bothered to read the arrows, just find the face that’s rotating anti-clockwise.

LOL, caught myself in a right Pavlovian moment there, slaving away and drooling over the hamster wheel - just … one … more … trade.

Got an Adder now, lots of fun apart from the hinky view - plenty of options with it, you can make a serious essay into trading, exploration or fighting. I’m now trading so I can get some decent fighting kit on the Adder and do some combat stuff for a change (I’ve been practicing the combat so I’m now much more confident about what I’m doing combat-wise, ready to face the big, bad world). It’s got D and C gear apart from no guns yet (been mostly hauling with it).

The thing I noticed about the Adder is its turning rate, along with the Sidewinder, is second only to the Eagle. That’s got to mean something. Thinking of arming it with gimballed lasers (pref. beam but that might not be possible) to take down shields quickly on the two smalls, and some sort of big missile thump on the medium to take chunks out of hull. Or maybe the “shotgun” equivalent, the shard shooter thingy.

And no, gaining ranks with the Feds doesn’t lower your standing with the Empire.