Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Those barrels got what was comin’ to them, son.

People call it a bug because it behaves like a bug. You have no idea why suddenly the cops are shooting at you. You double check to make sure you’re not Wanted, and you’re not, so why are the security forces all going to town on you? “Oh, they’re in the same faction you say? And attacking a wanted criminal that just happens to be in the same faction will aggro the entire zone, unlike every other identically displayed bounty? How am I supposed to know that?”.

If that’s WAD then they need to really communicate what is going on to the player, otherwise people just think the game bugged out and suddenly everything went aggro on them for no reason. If there was a notorious drug lord from Utah (where I live) that the local government put a bounty on, it’d be pretty odd for the same local officials that placed the bounty to start blasting away at the bounty hunter because, hey, drug lord was a homeboy. If the locals don’t want you to go after the criminal, they shouldn’t place the bounty to begin with! It makes no sense.

It’s totally a bug to me. If they authorities did not want me shooting at him, they shouldn’t have put a bounty on in the first place. Plus it’s weird that they are shooting at me even though I’ve got no wanted status with them ie my shooting at the target was not a crime so they are shooting at me illegally? Space Ferguson!

Oh god I need this shirt so badly:

The Adder or Hauler is a better short term target for a mining platform, at 80k and 50k respectively. I prefer the Adder as it has better options to add some teeth to defend yourself if need be.

Just about always you should be targeting early upgrades to Engine, Frame Shift Drive and Power Couplers. That get you more power to play with, let you jump further and give you better power management for when you do get into a fight. Other than that for mining you will need a mining laser and refinery. 30-40k should get you going for those initially. Add some additional or larger cargo bays for good measure for peanuts and you should be good to go blasting some rocks for 150k or so.

Are there plans to make the commodity system more useful? It seems to me that in a space age the computer should be able to know the various prices at least in a general area (I could understand a better computer system upgrade to enable a wider circle and so on). Or if they are going to have a tablet app that should have the prices. :)

My other problem is that I seem to end up on the wanted list and never know why. Am I a hit and run driver? I jsut do not know. I do know I was interdicted once and boosted to get away (went through the steps I read about - not ready to fight yet). But it seems I killed someone getting away! Not bad for no shooting - it was probably a fed patrol because I saw blue lights.

I hope so, the tools available really are woefully inadequate. There is nothing in game to help you plan detailed trade runs or provide easy access to historical system trade data easily and at a holistic glance. It is terrible really and I don’t think doing it in a spreadsheet externally should be necessary in this day and age.

It needs an separate trade planning screen that behaves a little like a pivot table and populates with trade data as you widen your sphere of travel - ie show me all the stations I have visited and their historic price data for Silver, how far away are they, sort by sell price, etc, etc. Each station you dock at should upload its data into your trade database so you can view it easily. Sure, data can grow stale over time, or even change completely as dictated by more sweeping GalNet events, but the Galactic Map really is inadequate for the task.

I’m stuck at the commander name screen. My normal handle is already taken and I don’t know whether to add some numbers to it or use a sci-fi name generator. :)

Does this name that shows up on target lists and such when I’m in the area?

I agree it’s bad. If I wanted to justify it I’d talk about how the bounties are from the overarching alliance, whereas local system police are loyal first and foremost to their local faction. Just because Evil Interstellar Megacorp is aligned with the Federation doesn’t mean they’ll ignore you shooting their black ops operatives, even though the feds have put a bounty on those operatives. However the system of local and global factions isn’t sufficiently fleshed out or well explained for this to actually work in the game.

Yes, you’ll be shown at CMDR <YOUR NAME HERE> on the scanner and the HUD, plus everyone who sees you in chat. All I can suggest is, be inventive! How about Buck Snarfwurgle! No? Flash Lazerblast? Ok, ok, you try

Annoyingly, but not too surprisingly, every kind of whiskey I tried was already taken.

I managed to catch up with him, but shortly before I was able to tether him with the interdictor, he vanished and I was left with a Low Energy Wake. I targeted it but I couldn’t scan it, couldn’t jump, it wasn’t appearing as a destination target, so I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to do to follow him. Anyone?

Just go into supercruise and if you’re quick enough he’ll be a visible contact.

I just want to say that this thread is more user friendly than a visit to the official forums, and a nicer experience to boot :) Well done on keeping the first post updated with handy info Brian, and thanks for all participating.

I’ve just spent hours FAO rotating (matched to the stations rotation) outside the docking tutorial space station, really just to watch the sun set and rise across the planet, but i also was loving the A Space Odyssey 2001 moments, even played various different versions of the Blue Danube to enjoy it more. There is so much potential in the game, much just around the corner, but all there :)

There’s another Dickless Wonder? Who knew?

On a more serious note…

All of a sudden the game is minimizing for no apparent reason, and when I bring it back up again I have no keyboard controls, although the mouse is still responsive. This is happening with alarming frequency, and is starting to suck all enjoyment out of the game. I’ve already wiped out two ships as a result.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Yes, hats off to Brian for that. And yes, the official forums, like those of many games, are a cesspool and best to avoid. But if you do go, the subforum of guides and tutorials are helpful and relatively free of hysteria.

I have found (on BF) one more useful link. A fan-made site that lets you ‘construct’ your loadout and calculate mass, effect on travel etc. Pretty impressive:

The EliteShipyard: http://eliteshipyard.nfshost.com/

EDIT: The funny thing is there’s an actual Elite Shipyard that builds boats.

Check this out: http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2nbi53/elite_minimizing_randomly_anyone_else_seeing_this

Or this. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78790

Haven’t read either, but you’re obviously not alone.

You mean drop out of SC? I was already in it at the time, and trying to get close enough for the interdiction tether. I did eventually turn around, go back to it, and drop out of SC but nothing was there. I may not have been close enough

Oh, sorry, I thought you were in normal space. If you’re already in supercruise, you should be able to drop out at the wake like any other destination* and your target willl be there. Sounds like your time wasted let him get away.

• Not exactly like others - you don’t get the same distance meter and mass lock effect, I don’t think, so it’s easier to overshoot.

When that has happened to me in the past (with other games, I haven’t seen it happen with this one) it has generally been an issue with keys on my keyboard sticking a bit, or me inadvertently tapping the windows key while trying to mash my way out of something hairy going on on-screen. Are you sure something like this isn’t going on? Alternatively, is there some kind of process on your computer that tries to grab the foreground to tell you “Job’s done” or some such?

The other issue you mention, about losing input control of your ship, has happened to me a couple times, and was solved by alt-tabbing out and immediately tabbing back. I’m running my game in a borderless window (I think that was the video setting), and I’ve found the game very alt-tab friendly, in that it will quickly handle the transition. But while this was happening to me early on in the game, it hasn’t happened to me in a while, so I assume that either changing over to a borderless window resolved it, or the devs fixed it on their end at some point.

Thanks. Your Google-fu is much superior to mine. I’ll try windowed mode and see if that makes a difference.

This reminded me that I was online with Hark and Kelan last night on Hark’s mumble server and had to randomly interrupt to comment how gorgeous the vista greeting me on station egress was.

It was just awesome to randomly leave the station at just the right time and facing that I would be immediately greeted by a stellar moment like that.

I bought two portable/ adjustable laptop tables to hold my hotas setup (they are also helpful for my job to hold extra items when working).

The problem I am having is that the tables are sliding on my chair pad. I need to figure out how to make them stop sliding. Does anyone know if there is something that could be put on the feet to prevent sliding? Special tape or something?

Yes, there are adhesive pads you can use to stop things sliding round. I’ve got them directly on the bottom of my HOTAS X stick. You can get them in a hardware or home improvement store.

And i just died. From lack of power (that led to suffocation). An interesting and important lesson of fuel usage keeping your systems going, even if you are just sitting there letting gravity and momentum slowly spin you around, you are still burning that fuel.

And shutting down all systems except for Thrusters, Power Distributer, Life Support and Power Plant still leaves me using 41%. Shame we can’t rely on some kind of nuclear core for much of this? So i can see if you want to spend proper time enjoying the sights of the galaxy fuel scoops are pretty much essential?