Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

E.J. Olmos (aka Cmdr Adama) demanded that I jettison my cargo if I wanted to live.

E.J. Olmos (aka Cmdr Adama) demanded that I jettison my cargo if I wanted to live.

Adama, in a network-dependent game? Heresy!

I think I’ve made a huge BOOBOO. I’ve been up since last night as I slept too late in the afternoon. Trying to reset my schedule and

When I started I had positive influence with the Feds. Then I found this crazy system and had to kill a bunch of pirates, so I spent hours killing anyone with a wanted sign on their ship. Many of them had what appeared to be the Fed symbol but I figured they were fair game since they had a bounty on their heads. Now when I docked at a Fed station I got $80,000 in bounty fees from them, but at the same time my standing with them dropped a ton. I’ve probably killed 20 ships with that symbol today. I am confused. Why would the Feds have a bounty on their citizens, pay you, but hate you for killing them? Or am I missing something?

Whatever it is, it surely ISN’T Federation citizens, right? ;)

That friend/foe system is somehow broken currently. Recently I was peacefully mining, then defended myself against some pesky pirate which clearly attacked me first, when suddenly three red security vipers appeared and shredded first the pirate and then me to death. Neither did I shoot them, nor did I have any bounty or fine against me. They need to fix that.

Were they the same faction as the pirate? I can see that leading to that outcome. Firing on a co-factionite makes the security guys hostile to you, and they kill the pirate because his firing on you made him wanted.

Yea, that’s what’s going on, the faction system seems to have a little bug in it where it checks their faction first to determine if they should go hostile to you or not, before wanted/criminal status. If you get friendly (green) with the faction that owns the system it becomes apparent. Firing on a wanted green target results in KOS by the cops until you supercruise away and come back.

I’m not even sure it’s a bug so much as an annoying feature. It’s space-Rambo.

Well that sounds like a completely broken system.

You know, when you described this method upthread, I tried to do it, but there is no way to look anywhere but straight ahead in this game, so I kind of ignored your method because stopping the ship, and then looking “above” you by turning your ship, then facing the right way again, and then stopping and looking up, makes it impossible to notice parallax movement against a backdrop anyway.

But in that video, he’s totally looking UP AT THE CEILING OF HIS FUCKING COCKPIT! HOLY SHIT! Stop this thread right now. One of you has to tell me what keys I need to bind or what I need to do in order to do this. Please. Please. Please. Please. Please.

Mouselook

I do it with TrackIR, but I think you can bind a hat switch on a joystick to be the headlook key – I am not sure if you can do it with the mouse and keyboard, but I bet you can.

You can bind a key or button to enter the headlock mode. Either as a toggle or a hold.

So this is different from the Left Shift key? (By default) The Left shift, when pressed, lets me use my joystick hat to look at my left panel (Hat Left), my right panel (Hat Right) or zoom in on my radar (Hat Down). That’s what I thought gurugeorge had bound to his right mousebutton. But apparently there’s a separate key that can let you look around the whole cockpit?

Yep. That’s called UI toggle or something like that. Do you not look at all the key bindings when you first play a game? Let alone a game like this with dozens of commands.

Actually you might just be describing the general shift command, which lets you double up button functions according to your whim. But there is also a UI shift binding, distinct from the headlock one.

I do indeed. But I missed this somehow. If there are any other fools like me, here’s what I just found out in the game’s controls:

Under mouse, there is a headlook option and a mouse headlook invert option. So I switched those two on.

Then near the bottom right above the galaxy map, there is a whole set of headlook options within their own category. You can do direct or accumulate modes. I tried both and I prefer accumulate. I can combine that with assigning Ctrl+ joy hat up,left, right, down to looking in the different directions, and Ctrl+X to look at the front again.

And finally it mentioned there being a headlook button that I couldn’t find, so I kept looking, and finally found Headlook under UI mode toggles or something like that. It’s assigned by default to Mouse3. With the controls I’ve assigned, I shouldn’t need the actual Headlook button anymore, but others might.

I’m not sure why everyone keeps thinking the faction thing is a bug. It makes sense to me. Having a bounty and being in the same faction as the cops aren’t mutually exclusive and don’t have to be. You can collect a bounty but still piss off the friends of the target who may be police.

Are there plans to make the commodity system more useful? It seems to me that in a space age the computer should be able to know the various prices at least in a general area (I could understand a better computer system upgrade to enable a wider circle and so on). Or if they are going to have a tablet app that should have the prices. :)

My other problem is that I seem to end up on the wanted list and never know why. Am I a hit and run driver? I jsut do not know. I do know I was interdicted once and boosted to get away (went through the steps I read about - not ready to fight yet). But it seems I killed someone getting away! Not bad for no shooting - it was probably a fed patrol because I saw blue lights.

I have earned about 9,000 credits - not sure what would be essential hardware to purchase first. My main goal atm is to learn how to mine but not sure how much I need to save up for that. I was watching some videos and players seem to think a Cobra is the best mining ship but I suspect that is an expensive ship (I looked in the shipyard but don’t remember the exact amount).

I have just been doing the missions and concentrating on flying and docking. I do have to say that I was planning on a docking computer as my first purchase, but I seem to be improving on my docking skills so decided against it.

All right, today I went to the local banking establishment and exchanged my American greenbacks for British pounds sterling and mailed it to Englandland. In other words, I bought it.

Fuck those toxic waste barrels! Yeah!

This should be good.