Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Sigh, these guys. New suggestion from FDEV to make PowerPlay better is to remove the feature from Solo & Private group players (ie: the majority of players) to force them to play in PvP Open mode.

I have never seen a development team become so far removed from the player base so quickly. I dont know what they are thinking sometimes. Such a great game that is seemingly going backwards. Sigh.

It amazes me how clueless they are in terms of game design. They put together a great simulator but nearly every game mechanic is poorly designed and implemented.

Criminy that’s a hard read. C’mon guys, get your shit together.

Oh man, I know. I just don’t get it, from a business perspective they are sitting on a hugely successful game. Logically what you would do is try and build on that success by expanding on more features and even adding more paid expansions to boost revenue even further.

Instead they are shuffling around features and talking about some movie license game. Such a shame because I think it is, or was, an incredible game.

It had a mind blowing launch with truly incredible features, followed up by mediocre to bad updates after that. I feel Elite has turned into the anti No Mans Sky.

@BrianRubin I hear ya :( Just makes me shake my head.

It was, I think, always problematic, but in the early days, when money was tight and everything was dangerous or challenging, it was great. Then you reach a place where you have plenty of money and wonder what else is there. Sadly…not much. Damned shame, really. Even a dynamic economy and meaningful mining to go along with it would’ve revolutionized this game. Jumpgate has a better background sim than this thing.

Huh, now you mention it I do think most of Elite’s problems stem from a poorly balanced game economy. Insightful. I mean most of the things to do in the game the are all around the economy. Once the economy became trivial, with no sinks then in one sweep you just removed any relevance for most of the activities in the game for elder players.

Yup, why mine? It doesn’t actually add to anything. Why trade? It’s meaningless. No supply, no demand, just unlimited equipment and ships wherever you go. Eventually you realize there’s nothing to chase.

Yah I got this very early on with ED. Great landing simulator, beyond that it’s 10000000 miles wide and 1 inch deep. Shame really, they have the hardest part actually done, it would be very easy to add meaningful gameplay and balance to this.

apparently it isnt or they would have. its so facile to slag it off and do armchair game design like this.

I’m not a particularly facile person, and I have plenty of ideas, but I get paid for them.

To be fair I think identifying a problem, or trying to at least, maybe helpful to the good folks at Frontier.

I mean if money sinks for example and a retuned economy could help Elite then that would be good.

Also I grouse because I love, let me be over emotionally involved for this one game. :)

The entire bloody internet grouses and has been grousing for years about elite. Either they are really pigheaded, or the problems are really not as easily solved as they seem.

Why is it so hard to accept things as they are and not bitch and whine about how they should be? Life is more fun if you take what is good and just ignore instead of wrestle the things that aren’t

Yeessssssssssssss, let’s never want anything more out of this life and let things remain exaaaaactly as they are.

Are you okay, man?

Because it’s a great simulator that I would love to play, but the game sucks. Because the game sucks, I don’t play. Because I don’t play, I’m not supporting the devs by purchasing expansions or other things.

They have a lot of the technical stuff nailed. They have a huge galaxy, the netcode and multiplayer infrastructure is in place, the framework for various activities is there (mining, trading, exploring, power play) and they have the flight simulator portion of the game extremely polished.

Stop acting like complaining that not a single one of those activities are balanced or provide any meaningful gameplay whatsoever is somehow an unreasonable or absurd thing for players to want. Why deliver food to a system in Famine doesn’t provide any real money or impact the actual Famine? Why mine when it’s absolutely garbage income, no one and nothing actual uses the minerals you tediously dig up, and you would likely make far more money if you accidentally rammed the pirate attacking you and got his bounty? Why use the Wing system to play with friends when you couldn’t even share missions or have ANY CONTENT WHATSOEVER to actually do with your kid or be friend that’s playing with you?

Game design isn’t easy, but come on. Everything about this game aside from the actual piloting of spaceships is as vacuous as the void you’re flying in.

Look, I too find elite lacking in the gameplay areas. But it is not constructive to keep harping on those deficits. Especially if you can only say “this is bad” without a comprehensive idea of what would make it good.

@BrianRubin I’m fine man. Been reading Marcus Aurelius lately.

It gives peace of mind to not want everything to be different. Accept what you don’t have the power to change and change what you can and want to change. Don’t expect the world to conform to you, but find a way to fit into the world.

If my kid is unhappy with his toy car he can either leave it, find a way to enjoy it as it is or take a fucking screwdriver to it and apply his will to it. The latter usually ends up in tears and a trashed you.

Applied to elite that means all the bitching and moaning about it do nothing for the game, it’s devs or is players. It’s wasted, misdirected effort.

;)

Just chiming in to say I agree with @schurem . It’s too easy nowadays to be overly negative without realizing what a nasty effect that can have on ourselves and society at large, and that line blurs even more when one is passionate about a certain subject. ED is what it is, and you can acknowledge its wasted potential (in your own view) without dismissing other people’s tastes or intelligence or approach to life.

I get that, sometimes, complaining about stuff that’s in truth inconsequential in the long run will take your mind off of present things that are much harder to deal with. I get it. Just try to not pick on people who might have a different approach to dealing with things and life at large. Please be kind.

Who’s dismissing other people’s tastes? If you’re still able to enjoy the game, that’s awesome. Some of us can’t anymore.

I’m not saying someone did that in this thread, but it’s very common to see everywhere, and very easy to do without noticing. It was a “stream of thought” thing, not a reaction to anything in particular in this thread.

I will chime in as somebody who likes Elite the way it is. Not to say it couldn’t be better, but I find it a calming way to pass time in between more plot-driven games. I find it fills a hole few other games do. Maybe the trucking games, but then those aren’t in space.