Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

I think they mean you still get the basic honk money but not the honk information with the honk? To get detailed planetary scan money (the big money for ELW’s etc) you still have to go and play the mini game. Whether you have to go fly to the planet and play the new second golf mini game for that money I cant tell.

There is 3 level of space bucks:

1. Honk for star info
  2. Scan and identify planets
  3. Fly to planets and map them

#1 is essentially what we had before, time-wise and money-wise. So, for explorers who just like to jump through systems, I’m not sure what they are missing with the new scanner. I guess they don’t get a bunch of undiscovered listings?

I imagine you can complete #2 in under a minute, once you get decent at it. So, you can get detailed info on a full system, often in less time than it took to fly to a single planet in the current version.

Then, for #3 if you see an interesting planet you can go map it, or map the whole system, or whatever floats your boat. This will take a fair bit of time.

Assuming the fiddliness of #2 and #3 is at all engaging, seems like a pretty decent set of mechanics, and it doesn’t penalize folks who just want to honk and move on.

Yeah that makes sense. Watching the stream right now to see what it looks like.

The new system didn’t seem that bad to me watching the recording of the stream last night. Will be interesting to try it out. Ended up selling the dbx and buying a Python with new exploration money. Now running some passenger missions to get the money to grab an aspx to replace the dbx. These passenger missions are generating some good money $1M - $3M a pop so far, and when I get the reputation up it looks like they are even nicer ones.

I would encourage you all to play with the new FSS system in the beta. The more voices & feedback about it FDEV hears the better imho. I also am very curious to see how small a minority I am over it. I am genuinely curious if other fellow players enjoy it.

As you may guess for me playing it, its a game breaker, its that bad. I wont explain why as you will see in beta if you think the same. I maybe a small minority and if other players enjoy it then it makes me leaving the game a bit more bearable. It also means I wont be in here complaining any more which I am sure is a relief :)

Don’t worry man, the rest of us will pick up the slack! ;)

Seriously, dude, this thing is SOOO bad. Like take the worst case in your mind from the livestream and multiply it by two. I just shake my head. I havent seen a game take this big a step backwards since the SWG combat fiasco.

FSS?

Its what they are calling the discovery scanner now. Instead of honk, you must stop, then go into a new mini game mode to individually find each planet instead of honking once to see whats in the system.

Well that sounds…terrible…

My tastes maybe unique. Which is why I am curious how other folks here like it.

Maaannn, I don’t wanna install it, but FIIIINE.

I’m not opposed to it conceptually, as long as the rewards meet the time investment. I’m a more mechanics-oriented gamer, though, I can’t spend dozens of hours just looking at procedurally generated planets. They all start blurring together to me.

I didn’t do much exploration when I played near launch, but from when I did it, I went into the system and honked, and only found planets within a certain range, which was usually none. And then I would go out farther and farther from the star, and honk, and would luck upon planets sometimes. It’s been a while, but that’s what I remember: having to explore for planets within a system and honking over and over in various areas to search for planets within the range of the scanner.

That’s the basic discovery scanner. You can get an Advanced one pretty quickly that scans the entire system. Then you have to fly to each planet manually if you want to get a detailed/surface scan.

From what Rod is saying, sounds like you have to perform a minigame in order to reveal each planet.

Yeah thats right. Its actually you switch to a filter, then you have to point your scanner at a planet to match the filter.

The good news @Rock8man is the FSS replacement to the discovery scanner has no basic or advanced so you get a free “upgrade” to the new system.

Edit: I should note the FSS aside I like the other exploration stuff. Its good. Its just the FSS outweighs all the good for me.

Edit edit: the new DSS however (planet scanner) is awesome. I just found lava outflows using it. Excellent stuff there.

Welp, guys, my submitted squadron name for E:D has been approved. We’re gonna be the Wildcards.

Oorah.

You just can’t quit this game, can you, Brian? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nope, guess I need to reinstall it. No time like the present I suppose.

Dammit man, I was so ready to quit, now I want to be a part of this :)