Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Logged on for a day of combat and found a CG in Blatrimpe to killed wanted pirates for bounties. Made one run and 1.2 mil in bounties and already in top 75%! May only last until Jan 3rd, but these are fun at times.

Also, traveling with a 4A fuel scoop sure makes things convenient!

Welcome back!

I made a few more runs and got into the top 50% at about 3.3 mil in bounties. I think the payout is 2.7 mil for that so not a bad couple hours of work. Hopefully we can push it into the next tier by tomorrow!

So Steam is clearly lying, because it says I dropped 26 hours into ED over my winter vacation. That can’t be…

I ended up picking up the game for my kids on the Xbox during the similar sale going on over there. It’s a lot of fun watching them go through same challenges I had (and still have) when I first started. It’s also amusing how they get upset with the station controllers when they accidentally block a landing pad and get fined.

I think I came across something that mentioned you can have players as part of your ship’s crew if the ship supports it. Is that the case? If so, is it any fun?

Also, is there a Qt3 guild or clan or whatever it’s called?

Ping @BrianRubin

Search for Wildcards.

I noticed the Horizon Expansion is on sale for $7.19 during the steam sale. It doesn’t sound like it’s worth it, but I thought I’d ask anyway. The only thing on the list that sounds kinda neat is planetary landings. But only on barren planets? That doesn’t sound all that interesting. I’d prefer planetary landings on planets with 2D artistic backgrounds depicting the city/forest/etc that you landed near, like in Privateer. A barren planet sounds stupid.

Barren planets are it right now, but having more mission location options can be worth it. Also SRV driving can be hilarious.

Thanks! Put in my application last night.

All Wildcard applications dealt with. Sorry for the delay, they seem to be having some issues with the management. I click accept like four times each until it goes through for each applicant. The one guy I have helping likely thinks he got 'em. Thanks to everyone who applied to the Wildcards!

I just started playing this even though I was a backer. I’ve applied to the squadron.

Currently flying around in a poorly outfitted Cobra trying to figure out what to do. Still lots to learn. I haven’t tried mining yet and don’t understand the discovery/exploration stuff. I got confused because I was watching tutorials built for an older version of the game and I guess all the discovery stuff changed in the recent update.

This is an amazing immersive experience in VR. I’ll be getting a real HOTAS system soon. Right now I’m using the cheap logitech Joystick and some CH rudder pedals. I need more buttons so that I can play completely in VR and not have to try and use the keyboard.

Also, I love the docking computer.

Holy shit mate, that bites! At least you got a purty screenshot for your effort!

FWIW, I don’t recommend this. a) You shouldn’t change ships until you can outfit it with 90% or so of your final setup, and b) as discussed above, the free Sidewinder is really, really handy when learning the ropes, and surprisingly capable when properly outfitted.

I’ve been having an issue where the bindings aren’t sticking for me. Don’t know if it is voice attack screwing with something or what is up. I like to bind the new discovery stuff to a xbox controller. Using the bindings that make use of the t16000m are annoying.

Current jump range is in the Ship tab of the systems panel but you have to go to the bottom tab (statistics) in the vertical tab list within that panel.

Try this. Pick a .binds file from your installed game path:

\Frontier\EDLaunch\Products\elite-dangerous-64\ControlSchemes\

and copy it to:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Then rename it so you know what it is. In the in-game controls config it should appear in the pre-configured bindings list. Customize it as you wish and it should save properly!

At least that’s what I did when I set up my g940 an age back…

What kind of ship role are you engineering for? Exploration?

For Material traders, I used https://inara.cz/galaxy-nearest/25/367/ to find the closest trader of each type to my home base and then made bookmarks for them in game.

Well, I do warp drives to 5 on every ship every time. On the ships that do not need to do a lot of turning in real space (exploration, other non-combat roles) I get them clean drive tunings, while the fighting ships get dirty drives.
Next up is power distro and power plant. Depending on needs those are modded for low heat or sturdiness.
Then I tune up weapons, big fan of “efficient weapon” tuning. Then armor and shields for better resistance percentages and lastly sensors and stuff to loose weight.
It’s quite a project to get a ship tuned up, but also fun. I like the scooping minigame, and they have hugely increased the amount of materials you can store so I don’t usually need to do a lot of specific material hunting.

My Asp Explorer fully engineered is something like this: https://s.orbis.zone/1o4s

It’s been a while since I’ve been in game, but used to be (and maybe still is) that when you plot a longish string of jumps, systems outside of your total fuel range are plotted with a dotted line instead of a solid one. Because jumps don’t use fuel linearly (a slightly longer jump might use 50% more fuel), it would be hard to calculate an accurate maximum range for your fuel, without knowing the exact jumps you need to take.

Yea, I set it aside for a bit and jumped back into my Sidewinder. I’ve been spending my time helping the Feds clean up bandits out at resource extraction sites. I let them do the heavy lifting and try to get some shots in to claim the bounty. I’ve been a bit too ambitious at times and have gotten blown away. I’ve accumulated enough money to now have the Cobra equipped with mostly 4A/4B gear.

I received an invite to visit an engineer. I’m going to tackle that today and see what that is all about.

Also, I suck at fuel scooping…I keep getting pulled out of supercruise. I’m guessing I’m drifting too close to the star.