Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Hot tip: line yourself up so you have a roughly constant temp, then throttle down completely. Adjust pitch to maintain temp/scoop rate.

Hotter tip: If you’re being hunted by some pirates who are glad they found you while scooping, point the ass end of your ship at the star you’re scooping from and wait for the pirate to crash into it as they try to get on your tail to interdict you.

That never gets old.

I use the canopy bow as a reference, that and temperature. I scoop at about 65% max heat but then I tend to build cool running ships.

That helped immensely. Several successful scoops in a row now.

That’s awesome. I really need to get back into this game, it’s been a long time.

Oh, I wonder if that’s what happened to me yesterday. I was transporting an illegal passenger (gotta get better at reading the mission descriptions) and a station scanned me and then shot me. While I was waiting for my insured ship to load in, it seemed to lock up and I eventually got a server not found message.

You can go third person to take screenshots?

That looks really nice. What is that ship called? I’m still only familiar with the Sidewinder and the Asp (I think that’s what it was called).

You blow up asteroids now? Maybe I should give it another go.

Frontier’s video about the new mining:

I haven’t tried it yet, but it looks like it could be fun

Thanks for the video! I totally need to try that!

If it’s not too much trouble to ask, would you mind putting together (or posting) your build? I just got my Asp Explorer and been running passengers, but I’d like to try mining a bit to see if it’s more interesting to me.

I think you can link builds at Coriolis:

That’s lovely.

Maybe I can outfit my Cobra to do some mining for a change. I do love flying the ship around for a small amount of time.

Thanks! I’m a lot less concerned about optimal right now than just being able to do something. I only get a limited time to play and I’ve found myself sitting down to do some changes and wasting a ton of time trying to filter out ship builds that were out of date due to patches and the like. This will be a big help.

And I hear you about the AspX and how it feels. I moved up from an Adder and it’s definitely a lot more sluggish. After my first trip out with my passenger build I immediately upgraded the thrusters and dropped in the docking computer because of it. Helped some, but still takes some getting used to.

I did some mining yesterday, and it’s a hoot in the Cobra, especially since I have a ministick on my throttle for up/down/side-to-side thrusters. Combine that with a switch on my joystick for forward and backward thrusters, and I can do full 6DOF movement around a target asteroid. It’s a hoot.

Elite is one of those games that’s almost enough to convince me to go for VR goggles. I can’t imagine that experience isn’t worth having.

I have a bit of cash lying around, so I might buy a Dolphin and try some passenger transport to break up the routine of cargo transport.

This news about mining has made me interested in returning to E:D. I own the base game only, and haven’t played in about year because, frankly, it was so hard to make money trading or mining. Is this new mining available if you only own the base game?

I’m glad that they seem to have improved mining and made it a profitable pursuit, but do you still have to pretty much sacrifice most of your equipment slots for it, say in an Asp Explorer?

If you can afford it, I highly recommend trying the Krait MkII and/or the Python. The python is the next good multirole ship like the cobra and asp that you can load out for whatever suits your fancy, but for me it lacks in speed and maneuverability. (That said, it makes for an excellent miner.) With some concessions to internals, the krait fixes that, while still allowing for a decent jump range and a fighter bay.

I haven’t tried the Krait Phantom out yet but I completely lurve the Krait MkII, and if you’re enjoying mining, I would start there. That said, the Phantom is somewhat comparable to the Asp for exploring, so maybe I should get around to seeing if I can’t trick one out to exceed my exploring ship’s generous 50+ Ly jump range.

Much as I like the idea of mining, I’m finding it a little frustrating—a few hours of scouring void opal and low-temperature diamond hotspots in San Tu, and as far as I can tell, zero fissure asteroids.

I played a bit more of this after 3 years of not playing it. They have added more busy work in the form of community goals but the core gameplay has not changed. I’ll have to try one of those new descent clones to get my 3D combat fix.