Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

I’m glad they’re working on the underlying problems as to why the game is so dull, such as the lack of a functional economy and a boring mission system oh wait they’re not doing any of that it’s all stuff for the baby pilots. Well okay then, bring in the n00bs so they can eventually learn how empty this thing is.

Yay.

… and here we see another prime example of the revolution being brought asunder by her own fanatics. It’s a space game. With a grandiose vision of space. And plenty pew pew. And its pretty and huge.

But its flawed and not a tiny indie production from eastern europe so it shall be blasted and lambasted at every corner.

Because they should know better!

Calling it a game is charitable. It’s a wonderful space flight sim with the barest veneer of a game to try and give one purpose to the flight.

Carthago delenda est

I own only the base game. Is this update an extra charge? I haven’t simmed Elite in quite some time, and it feels like this is a good time to pull out my HOTAS and start over.

The only paid expansion so far is Horizons, which mostly lets you land on planets with no atmosphere. The base game is still fully supported by the updates, though of course some features of any given update may only apply to Horizons.

You know I’m as critical as anyone about the lack of “game” in the game, but the new player experience is atrocious and really does need to be addressed. Arguably they should have focused on that when the game first came out, but they might be hoping/expecting new players when they ship the next expansion so they needed to get that sorted.

I understand where he’s coming from (as well as yourself). It’s easy to walk away from a game with no redeeming features and no promise, they’re completely forgettable. Elite is an engineering and flight sim marvel that it makes the shortcomings (for those of us that perceive them) so frustrating. It’s like teasing a dog with a juicy strip of bacon. :)

I also understand where you’re coming from. I try to limit my commentary in this thread, but sometimes I fail my Will save and I end up bitching again. I have similar issues with the Civilization franchise!

Because it broke my goddamn heart and I’m allowed to my goddamn opinion. Sir.

Which you have expressed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

It’s a live game with ongoing development and updates. The game has a lot of promise. He sees the thread bumped with new development news and hopes to see an improvement targeted at his concerns and is left disappointed (again). He then vents in the thread.

I get that it can be a downer and annoying when people who are frustrated with a game post negatively, but it’s the fact that there’s ongoing development, news, and updates that keeps the cycle going. If the devs had moved on to another project, I’m sure Brian (and myself) would have written the game off.

That’s because the game has inherent problems that, rather than fixing, they just avoid with new shinies over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Or, better, what Kevin said.

Obviously you’re allowed to express your opinion. The problem is that you’re contributing nothing to this thread. You realize that don’t you?

My experiencing and expressing frustration as to the quagmire that is development and “progression” of this game from the empty shell of a game it was when it began, full of promise, to pretty much the same game today, just with more places to land, adds nothing to the conversation?

I’m sorry, I don’t agree with that at all. You might feel I might be wasting YOUR time, but I don’t feel I’m wasting mine.

It’s a discussion thread about a game he still has interest in following. I don’t understand why only positive comments “contribute” to a thread.

Again, I get that people that enjoy the game don’t want to read the Negative Nancy’s take on the latest update, but I don’t think that’s contributing any less than the people positive about the game. People can still share screenshots of their exploration or whatever, but when development news comes out I don’t think it’s fair to say that people that are disappointed by what Frontier are working on aren’t contributing.

It’s the repetition ad infinitum of said opinion that I’m referring to. I think we all know where you stand on the game at this point, Brian.

Anyway I’ve said my piece. I’ll just skip your posts in this thread, I can deal.

Apparently you can’t. If they even BROACHED fixing what I feel are core problems with this game, I wouldn’t HAVE to say the same thing ooover and ooooooover again. But they don’t, so I do, because this game saddens and frustrates me to no end.

I disagree with that. Game devs often scan various threads about their games, to try and get a handle on where the public is at. It’s valuable information, that some people actually pay good money to collect.

What’s more beneficial for a dev of the game to read, “space is pretty” or “the game feels empty”.

This is also a place where people in general, discuss the failings of games, in order to better understand how to try and spot problems in their own projects.

I get that people get tired of negativity, but I do think it has some value, especially for devs of said game.

And when they read the same criticism ten times from the same poster, that makes it ten times as valuable I guess?

Why not? Maybe they’ll see, after numerous attempts, they’re still not convincing the guy who has a lifetime license and a blog specifically about space games to come back, that maybe their game has deeper problems it needs fixing beyond a god damned kindergarten area with new docking computers for the baby pilots?

Oh, wait, this forum has an ignore functionality now. I wonder if you’re using it. HAH. ;)