Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Do you mean “report crimes against me”? If so I don’t think that’s the case, because the ships are already there when I jump (not always, but sometimes). And I’ve read that if you’re doing a mission from another faction’s perspective you end up fighting the same security forces.

Either way, it’s fun! :)

Unrelated, here’s the Krait Mk.2 build I’m thinking of going with - https://s.orbis.zone/c7jE . Thoughts?

Nice ship, I bet she’ll serve you well. I would exchange the point defense for a chaff launcher.

Good call, I will definitely try it out since point defense I have now on Vulture is hardly seeing any use.

So I actually ended up buying both ships today and flew them for a couple of hours - and while both have their pros and cons I really prefer the Chieftain due to its agility, plus I don’t have to keep an eye out on the fighter - although I do miss them sometimes because they can be a great distraction vs tougher targets.

Here is the build I’m using atm, but I will likely tweak it a bit more - maybe even drop limpets once I stock up on mats and add 2 more hull reinforcements instead of cargo+collector.

https://s.orbis.zone/c9fS

I will probably try the Frag cannons at first opporunity.

I look forward to revisiting Krait once I get engineering going finally though.

Can you elaborate on this? Did you buy (and flew) the fleet carrier or did you have someone transport you? I’m still learning the ropes after a long absence and I’d love to know more about the various systems the game offers.

Fleet carriers are end-game ships that are owned but not piloted by players. The owner can set a destination for them to travel to and they will go there (travelling on the server tick, iirc). The owner (and with permission other players) can dock and trade with the fleet carrier.

I assume that krazykrok docked with someone’s fleet carrier then logged out and didn’t return for a while, by which time it had been moved a long way back towards human-occupied space.

That’s pretty cool, thanks for the explanation!

White dwarf?

On pause while I do the engineer grind. Not going to lie, it’s sucking the fun out of the game for me.

Man, I would love to get back into this again sometime.

Maybe I have had a long enough break it would be fresh enough to grind out some money and engineering. Last time I played I had worked my way up to a high end Vulture, and always wanted to upgrade that, but I never really got close to enough money to do that. It sounds like that Krait Mk II would be a blast to fly!

I also never did any engineering, so would be going in blind on all of that. Maybe I will see if I still have it installed and dig up my flight hardware and look up a little bit on what is involved to do engineering.

Look no further - Guide to Unlocking Engineers Quickly — CMDRs ToolBox

You will also need to spend a few hours (minimum) gathering the necessary materials to actually level up the engineers once you unlock them.

Awesome! Thank you!

Similar for me. I jumped back in after getting a new VR headset and finally got my first Engineer unlocked in preparation for upgrading my Vulture, but I’m not sure I’m in for the grind just yet.

You can park much closer to those ruins if you approach them from the right side (from your location) - park between the structure that is furthest out to the right in the middle and the one just below it.

That might be it - the one I had in mind was for the modules, but I think due to the way the structures are placed it should still be possible, since you technically park in between two objects that are probably using premade terrain topography (rather than relying on planet procgen).

LOL!! I had the same discussion with my friend yesterday when I casually mentioned I’m thinking of selling my Phantom and downgrade to a Diamondback Explorer for easier parking.

Looking good! Next time I fly there I’ll screen the place where I usually land.

I wanted to come back to this because I’ve tried to use the tool a few times now and never really saw the actual need when sites like Inara.cz or apps like EDEngineer exist, but I’m now using to track my visited stars while I do the Cheung engineer trading in 50 markets grind and it has been very useful for that.

So my question is, which tabs do you mostly use and for what purpose? I’ve tried a few at random and they honestly didn’t make much sense to me or the data wasn’t presented in a way that I’d want (relative to some of the 3rd party sites I used), but I get the sense that it’s me and not the tool, so I’d love to get a few pointers for the critical stuff that’s worth learning. Thanks!

There’s a lot I used it for and I’ll show you a few things. Keep in mind though that I’m by no means an expert, and what I’m doing is stuff that I’ve tinkered with and am pretty happy with. It would not at all shock me to find that there are better ways of doing what i’m doing with ED Discovery. I have a secondary monitor, so i basically have EDD running on that full screen while i’m playing on my main screen. I did try bringing it into my game but found I was tinkering with it too much. Anyways,

This is my go-to screen. I go through bouts where i’m exploring(like now) and when I do, this is what’s up almost the whole time:

There are 4 quadrants, i’ll start with the top left and work clockwise.
Visited Stars: this shows me a summary of the systems i’ve visited, how many times i’ve visited, what the solar system contains(stars, planets, and main planet types). Since I’m exploring, i’m mainly looking for the valuable stuff: earthlike, water/ammonia worlds, and terraformables. It also gives me a rough value of what I’ve scanned there. This list is also complete: see that scroll bar on the right? That goes down some 3000+ entries. Trying to get back to that system with the 5 terraformables that you didn’t have time to map 3 years ago? It’s on that list. While not a go-to feature every time, there has been times when i’ve tried to find something from a couple days ago, etc. Also, clicking on anything (as shown) will bring up the relevant information in the next quadrant.
Estimated Values: This gives me more detail on what I’ve scanned and what its worth. However, what I really like this for is that it tells me at a glance whether something has been discovered and mapped. It also reminds me if I’ve mapped it.
Nearest Stars: When I’m exploring like this, this isn’t particularly useful. However, If i’m trying to map out an area or find a jump that’s at a precise distance(note that you can set min/max values) or if I’m trying to avoid hitting the same stars on my way back(note the visited column), i’ll use it.
Summary Panel: This shows me greater detail on the scans as well as other useful info like # of jumps left, or fuel tank capacity/fuel scoop progress, confirmation that I got a screen shot

Ledger Tab:

Frankly, i don’t use this that much except when i’m curious about something or want some confirmation. But if i was a serious trader, i would filter (using search box), so if i could see how i’ve done over time. Basically, anything that impacts your credits is recorded here - so wages, bounties, trading, repairs, etc, can all be found.

Material Trader Tab

This is just great because not only does it tell you what you have, and how it aligns, but it also lets you know what it trades for (up or down)

Engineering tab

If there’s one tab that’ll change your ED life, it’s this one. Using the buttons above, you can select what component/upgrade/level you’re thinking of engineering and it’ll tell you how many you can make and what you need if you’re missing. In this case, lets say I wanted to compare getting overcharged or efficient pulse lasers. In this case I could only make 4 Efficient level 5, but 9 overcharged level 5. It even tells you what the recipe is, and you can mouse over to see if you doubt it or want to double check something. It’s also handy to go back and forth to the material trader tab to see if you can easily trade for any deficiencies.

Ships Tab

This is actually a somewhat broken tab. I wanted to maket something of a trading tab and then kinda got out of it. I think if i did more trading, i’d play with it more. So the bottom part of this is the broken section that I don’t really use(and haven’t been bothered with tidying up). However the top is pretty useful, particularly if you have more than 1 ship - it lets you select the ship and see its full load out, including any engineering. You can also pull up historic ships you no longer own! You can also chose to send this to coriolis or ed shipyard i think.

The 3D view

This isn’t a tab, but rather a button that shows you a full 3D, zoomable, clickable, filterable map of the galaxy. You not only can see your route, you can see your travels for the last few years. You can also see notes other people have put into the galaxy which can be a guide to exploration. Ever been to a station inside an asteroid? Want to go? how about tracking down a nearby carrier in deep space? Or looking for just about anything else. This thing is incredible!

And that’s about it ;)

friday-damn-gif

Thanks! I had no idea you could add multiple tabs into one as you seem to have done with Exploration. Clearly I’ll have to dig into the Help files a bit.