Elite: Dangerous Kickstarter Launched

Oh wow, I didn’t know that, thanks!

Worth considering as I haven’t turned on the PS4 in a year.

Here is the support article. I’d have done it myself when I moved to PC, except I no longer had control of the email address my PS4 account was registered to so I had to start all over again. :(

Very helpful, thank you!

This new expansion looks like it’s going down like a lead balloon. I love ED but I think I’ll wait for this one to bake for a while longer.

Yeah I grabbed it to just go along my Commanding friend, and I closed it after 20 minutes: I was just travelling back a short way from the bubble, scanning stuff on the way, and it was a mess of broken masks, disappearing textures, and even a star suddenly popping right in front of me once. But who would have expected something else?
Stars have massive eruptions everywhere now too, but those don’t look very good.

The new galaxy map UI is better to me (the autocomplete system search is a blessing too), but the System UI, based upon it, is not functional and ugly.

My favourite feature was when the FPS tutorial started, none of the controls were assigned, and the tutorial was just confused about what to display.

On the plus side, the new hyperspace sequence makes more sense than flying through nebulas, and emphasis the weird disorienting bit at the end.

And in my case, very slight performance hitches, but I don’t play at 250fps.

No wonder the performance is so bad if this is the case.

I’ve yet to really play with it outside of a few jaunts on foot and taxi rides. I have to say I haven’t noticed any performance issues whatsoever, it’s all smooth as poo for me. But yes, the one planet I landed on did look a little odd. I didn’t realise the issues were so widespread. But I won’t properly get back into it until the rest of my squad buy Odyssey so hopefully it will be fixed in that time.

Ouch. I thought they just came out of a lengthy public beta period!

I was going to buy it on Epic Game Store, but glad I held off. Better to wait until everything is smooth sailing.

Public alpha, not beta. And it wasn’t that long.
Not very surprised it’s buggy.

Been way to do busy to play any PC games for months, but I’ve been watching the Odyssey rollout. As a long-time ED fan and apologist, it feels like the game has lost its way.

As someone above noted, ED is really about the cockpit experience and the scale of the universe. That’s where it excels. Instead of space legs, I would have loved to see some expansion of explorable planets. They wouldn’t even have needed to get anywhere near earth-like. Skimming the upper atmosphere of gas-giants. Navigating lava fields in your SRV. Better graphics tech for ice worlds. That all seems like a lighter lift than on-foot gameplay.

Hopefully the dust settles on the performance issues and bugs, but I feel like the time around the intro of Horizons was pretty much peak ED. Since then it’s been a lot of cruft.

Odyssey did add support for landing on planets with “tenuous or thin atmospheres”. Not amazing, but not nothing.

Oh, yeah. Just seems like more of a half-step than I hoped for after all this time. At least looking at screenshots, it’s some new (admittedly pretty) lighting with crops of derpy plant-life.

I made some aspirational posters for Elite like 5 years ago. I was envisioning non-earthlike atmospheres as the next big step for them in planetary tech.

Anyway, I’m mostly a “keep it positive” sort with Elite, but I’m just a bit bummed about it. No Man’s Sky might be the game for my space exploration fix, though I always enjoyed the pseudo-verisimilitude of ED’s universe.

haha those season posters… if only.

I was, let’s say, optimistic.

I kind of nailed the Thargoid incursion though.

Those are awesome posters, though!

Yes they did, and yes they are awesome indeed. Heck, they might come true anyway. I also completely agree with you that those should have been the priorities. Land on rock, Fly through Gas, Land in Atmosphere. Then… whatever.

Frontier just posted the roadmap for fixing Odyssey:

• Update 3 – Thursday 10th June
    • Many improvements and fixes, including
    • Loadout UI flow changes
    • Adding earned ARX for on-foot gameplay
  • Update 4 – Thursday 17th June
    • Suit Livery UI flow changes
    • Codex CMDR stats
  • Update 5 – Thursday 24th June
    • Shared missions
    • Galaxy & system map UI updates
    • Outfitting UI updates

Not very impressive compared to e.g. Microsoft Flight Simulator’s roadmap. It reminded me of: “… will work from early in the morning until late in the evening. He will make many calls and have many meetings.” :-)

Regarding performance improvements:

While we are expecting to see specific and targeted performance improvements in the upcoming June updates, we are also aware that development work for console will allow for even larger performance optimisations and enhancements for PC too. Therefore, we feel the best approach for all our Commanders will be to focus our development efforts after Update 5 on performance and the console release, and to bring our multi-platform community together once more, which will also allow us to bring even more global optimisation changes and updates to all Elite Dangerous Commanders.

I guess we’re in the unofficial beta phase until the console launch.

Eh. Asobo are good about transparency on the Sim/World updates, but the whole forum derived priorities list is a bit flattering to deceive if you ask me. Most of the concrete details of what’s going to be patched don’t emerge until after the patch.

I’m getting awfully tired of seeing roadmaps to fixing products that people paid for. Cyberpunk, EU4: Leviathan, Elite, a bunch of others. It’s not like these are online games and the issues are with overloaded servers or something. They’re shipping product they have to know is woefully unfinished and I’m getting tired of it.

If you’ve going to shovel half-finished shit out the door at least have the decency to slap an Early Access tag on it.