Elon Musk goes Off the Rails

Restated: “Falling in love hits different when it distracts from you overthrowing democracy.”

Dude has more than a few screws loose. In addition to the diamond hard (ironic given inheritance from an emerald mine!) boner for autocracy.

Elon musk is a less accomplished Howard Hughes.

If only he were less divorced from reality than he is from Grimes.

Grimes is awesome. I’m glad she’s well away from him.

I once saw her perform as an opening act for Arcade Fire when she still lived in Montreal. It was incredible and I’ve loved her music ever since. Her choice in men, less so.

elon is blocked but i can still see his tweet…

You don’t block Elon! Elon only blocks YOU.

In Soviet Social Media, Twitter blocks you.

Uh huh. Stayed up all night working on this one.

I used to want a Tesla. Now I want nothing that would associate me with that childish egomaniac.

Want to want one even less?

I mean, the clear answer (to a non-engineer at least) to the question "should self-driving cars use radar or optical sensors? is “both.” Which makes one wonder why the question was being framed that way, which that article answers–to shave cost.

Move fast and break things.

Though, those “things” are pedestrians.

Soon after, the company began disabling radar in cars already on the road. The result, according to interviews with nearly a dozen former employees and test drivers, safety officials and other experts, was an uptick in crashes, near misses and other embarrassing mistakes by Tesla vehicles suddenly deprived of a critical sensor.

Lawsuit, anyone?

Most amazing is the disabling of existing sensors on cars.

Yeah, you bought a model with lidar, but to increase profits on future car sales we disabled yours too. Now pay us 15k for FSD that doesn’t use those sensors.

A little easier said than done - in the US, very few stores actually own the parking lots outside the stores (which they mostly lease), so I’m not sure how that would work. Cool idea though - going into a Giant supermarket while they trickle 30-cents worth of power into my car after I swipe my “rewards card” seems like a no-brainer.

Here in the DC Metro Area, a high percentage of shopping center parking lots have electric kiosks for charging EVs. They’re not Tesla-branded, and they usually have video billboards that show drug/medication commercials 24/7.

Right there with you. I was looking forward to getting the Cybertruck (ugly as it is), but at this point my wife would divorce me if I gave money to Musk.

I still want one. By the time it ships in the year 20xx maybe Elon will be over Grimes and calm down.

I suspect this is because they rewrote the software to only use the cameras (rather than forking the software so they had one version for cameras plus lidar and another version for just cameras), but I don’t have any evidence to support this. Not that it makes it better, but understandable from a systems management perspective (and better, I guess, than just cutting off the older cars from software “improvements” which honestly is what I would have expected of Tesla).

Yes, that is the most likely explanation. It was part of the overall cost cutting.

Some customers may die, but gotta keep that stock price up.

SOP for how Tesla does stuff as I understand it.

I’m sorry how is this different from literally every other car company?

Like the time GM’s shitty airbags killed 17 people and they fought it?
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/23/business/gm-takata-airbag-recall/index.html

Or the runaway Toyotas that killed 89 people?

How about the spontaneously combusting Hyundais?

I get wanting to dunk on Elon but Tesla is not unique in having safety recalls. In fact, they seem to respond better than some other car companies because they aren’t fighting them to save money by risking their customers.

Turns out Teslas and Nissans are the most reliable EVs out there. Sorry, haters.