Email Provider Options

My wife and I have had our main email address with the same internet provider for nearly 30 years. Where we live they have been the only option for fast broadband until recently.

Now we use this email address for everything. I have spoken to my current provider and they said If i leave their service they will cancel my email address 30 dasy after so I would need to move everything by then.

Now I currently have 7 months left on my contract so am thinking of setting up new emails addresses for all the family but have no idea what my best options is.

Anyone have any suggestions (UK based)

Register your own domain at Cloudflare then setup email forwarding to whatever provider you want, like Gmail. You own that domain so your email addresses will never be in danger again.

Cloudflare charges their cost to register domains, something like $10/year.

If you really want to get fancy and host email at that domain directly, I believe Apple and Microsoft will do that if you subscribe to icloud storage or MS365. Google charges it as an enterprise feature unfortunately, unless you got in grandfathered 15 years ago like me, then it’s free!

I’m a big fan of protonmail, at proton.me.

They’re a swiss company focused on privacy, and are building out a suite of tools to rival Googles. They have a calendar, drive (storage), VPN, and a password manager so far.

They’re likely the biggest name in privacy-focused services. A great company. Here’s a referral link if you’re interested.

I use their Mail Plus program, which is for me $80 / 2 years, and haven’t had a need to upgrade to their Ultimate, which has even more features and storage and tools.

If you’re looking to pay that’s a great option, and works with your own domain also.