Empire of Magic

Well… yeah. And because it’s turn-based. :roll:

I was expecting more of a Disciples feel from what I had seen and read and that is what I have so far. I think I will let this one simmer a bit before I make a judgement. Its no Astral Tournament, I can tell ya’ that right now. But really, what is?

Well, the lovable, but gruff Ron Dulin reviewed it. All I have to say is that your full of poop! The readers have given it a 9.1 to your 5.0. Gamespot sux!!

Did I forget to mention that that was a 9.1 with 2 reader reviews? Or that his review was spot on and I feel like a complete dope? Especially after I fed the 5.0 into my Gamespot review score conversion program that shows me what Gamespot scores would be on other sites. It turns out it is worth 1 1/2 stars, a 3/10, or a D+. Those scores would all be about right, too.

In the future if those of you “in the know” would shed your journalistic ethics just long enough to PM me with a warning about some supposed diamond in the rough I am going on about, I would be eternally grateful and tell no one.

So that you can be on the “right” side of a game and be able to speak ill of it when you know everyone else will, and you’ll know when to gush about a game when you know everyone else will?

Part of having those “ethics” you mentioned is doing your own dirty work (if you’d like to have some of your own at some point). I’m also going to assume that you’ll eventually want some of that “credibility” stuff too. If you want to get the whole “credibility” thing going, you’ll need to have ethics (above), be able to tell a good game from a crappy one on your own without having to get secret hints from professional game reviewers, and be able to accuse online game publications of being evil and corrupt, compared to the saintly, faultless angels of print magazines.

I…um…I was kinda kidding there chief. I am not really sure what you mean by the “right” side of a game. I like Heroes IV, but admit it has a couple of tiny faults :wink: (That denotes sarcasm on my part. As I assume you may be reading more of my posts, whenever I decide to poke a little fun at myself, a game, or someone else I will put one of those winky guys in the post to tip you off.) Can I be somewhere just north of the middle on some games/issues or does it always have to be all “right” and “wrong” because life is not always black and white either Mr. AMBoEC? Occasionally there are shades of gray (grey for you limey bastards) where both life and, more importantly, games are concerned. :wink: (See, there it is again)

Now that I have had a chance to reflect, I believe what I really meant to ask was for all reviewers here to shed their “journalistic integrity” and not their ethics. You may proceed to chastise and educate me on what integrity is as well. I await your response with increasing anticipation.

This game sucks and I am still pissed off about buying it.

olaf

Yep. :cry:

Yep. :cry:[/quote]

Me three. Who kept bringing this piece of crap up!?!

They had you guys at “fantasy strategy game”.

You nailed it. I was just telling McMaster today about how weak I was. I went against all my cardinal rules as I needed a turn-based strategy fix:

-Never believe previews - I proceeded to read and trust all that positive tripe

-If there is little to no press around a title’s release, treat the game like it was leprosy - made excuses for the whole Slovak developer/new publisher/trying to break in to the industry crap (moron)

-Inactive developer sites at release time mean certain death - Mayhem’s last update was in March…still nothing.
-Never save the ball from going out of bounds under the opponents goal - self explanatory

Won’t.Happen.Again.

Not even with Knightshift or Spellforce…maybe. Let’s see how the previews go. :)

Right, because your freedom-loving indy site will fight The Power, and The Man, and corrupt game reviewers everywhere. You’ll defeat the Nazi hype machine and take the power of the gaming press out of the hands of The Man, and put it into the hands of The Brother Man. OK.

Wait, what? Isn’t your site supposed to be the Michael Moore of gaming, sticking up for the underdog, and all that? If none of the evil, corrupt gaming publications out there, which are obviously evil and corrupt, aren’t being bribed a ton of money (because obviously only cover games for which they’ve been bribed, being evil and corrupt and all) to cover a game, you won’t touch it either? That’s a self-contradictory standpoint. Unless you, yourself, are in it to eventually try to become a big, evil, corrupt publication like IGN/Gamespy/Gamespot/whatever.

[quote=“A_Mixed_Bag_of_Eye_C”]

Right, because your freedom-loving indy site will fight The Power, and The Man, and corrupt game reviewers everywhere. You’ll defeat the Nazi…[/quote]

You’re done.

Yeah the fantasy strategy thing had me after I read the first preview, sadly. The hyping of the ‘tactical’ combat sure as hell didnt help me out any either.

I went and reread some of the previews after ‘playing’ the game. It made me even more mad. Only one of three had anything negative to say and it wasnt very negative, the guy still liked the game overall and was very positive towards it.

I have read a couple of reviews on the full and they arent really near enough the mark either, even though they have been more negative. Hell one today linked off of rpgdot has a positive sounding conclusion despite a rather mediocre 6.5/10 rating. Something like the guy spent 10 hours playing and forgot to eat. Mind boggling.

When I was a lad and pirated pretty much every C64 game ever made anywhere, I cant recall playing a game worse than this one. Not that I can recall having played many bad games from 15-20 years ago, but you get the point. I generally dont buy or play many ‘bad’ games these days either, but this is one of the worst ever. Its just not fun at all and it missed every single one of my expectations for it.

I debated trying to sell my copy on Ebay with a disclaimer about how shitty it was, but I just couldnt bring myself to do it so I trashed the game yesterday. My 15 month old daughter still plays with the box though. She seems to like it better than the RON box, but not as much as her battered GalCiv or Freelancer boxes.

olaf

Maybe some of the extra points on these reviews are due to the shiny box with the crystalline skull on it. It is pretty.

Damn previewers with their rosy outlooks. “There are a few minor glitches, but I am sure they will be ironed out by the time EoM is released.” That is not a direct quote, but is generally what I recall from the previews I read. Game ruining obstacles somehow become niggling little defects in previews. I know why and realize it has always been this way, but I still think it sucks. Unfortunately, that preview copy must have been the gold copy Mayhem submitted and Summitsoft published. :x

You hear that everyone! MAYHEM and SUMMITSOFT. I can only hope any other Mayhem titles stay in the former Yugoslavic republic. Summitsoft is publishing an MMORPG called Endless Ages, IIRC. I will do my best to remind everyone who talks up Endless Ages in the future what a heinous product the company saw fit to publish.

WHOA WHOA WHOA, HOLD ON HERE!

I will send you an address to make bribe checks out to, any day of the week. EMPIRE OF MAGIC 2? SUUURRREEE. IT GETS A 11/10!!! Make that check payable to Jason McMaster 712 Hu…

edited for sexy

WHOA WHOA WHOA, HOLD ON HERE!

I will send you an address to make bribe checks out to, any day of the week. EMPIRE OF MAGIC 2? SUUURRREEE. IT GETS A 11/10!!! Make that check payable to Jason McMaster 712 Hu…

edited for sexy[/quote]

Yeah Jason, I do not remember any discussions in private or on this board where we claimed we were averse to selling out to industry “suits” or fat cats or Dreamcatcher if offered the chance. I’ll put up a 5.0 mediocre review of Empire of Magic for $10.00 tomorrow.

This is a joke. When we do become huge internet moguls, I do not want this quote taken out of context and then have our empire come tumbling down on Jason’s head.

Arise, thread! BWAHAHAHAHAH!

So I got this game for $0.50 because I was basically dared to, and I can’t even get it to run, so I guess I’ve been spared the horror. ;)

Yes, I necro’d an 8 year old thread just to say that.

OMG LOL WTF

Brain, twisting the knife into Tyler seems a bit mean. It took him 5 years to stop the pus from this wound, and another one for the scar to begin to look the color of the rest of his skin. And now, you dig it up!?

I wasn’t trying to twist any knife. If anything else, it makes me look like a fool for buying it in the first place. ;)