"End of the world" flicks - a compilation

In the bad direct-to-video postapocalyptic department:

Steel Dawn
The Blood of Heroes
Ultra Warrior
Omega Doom
etc.

Very good book, but it’s not the movie I’m thinking of. This one was a dark British comedy released sometime in the 1960s and with a very 1960s-English-pop flavor (or perhaps I should say “flavour”).

Threads

FAR SUPERIOR British version of “The Day After” and of one of the most devestating and depressing films you will ever see.

Twelve Monkeys.

Megiddo!

Akira

Threads does sound good. Not too many DVD copies of it out there though. Anybody here a member of Netflix? Do they offer it? I seriously doubt I’ll find this at my local Blockbuster…

Threads does sound good. Not too many DVD copies of it out there though. Anybody here a member of Netflix? Do they offer it? I seriously doubt I’ll find this at my local Blockbuster…[/quote]

Not available on Netflix.

Very good book, but it’s not the movie I’m thinking of. This one was a dark British comedy released sometime in the 1960s and with a very 1960s-English-pop flavor (or perhaps I should say “flavour”).[/quote]

Actually, I was just saying that Handmaid’s Tale is a good end-of-the-world flick.

BUT, I think the film you’re looking for is The Bed Sitting Room (1969).

Man you cannot count Anime! The list would at least triple in size. Do you know how many anime flicks are set post apocalypse? I dare not even start that list…

Although, I hear that Grave of the Fireflies which really is about nuclear holocaust is particularly gut wrenching, though I have never seen it.

Nope. It is set WWII-era in japan, but there’s no nukes anywhere near Grave of the Fireflies. That said, it is particularly gut-wrenching- helplessly watching two children die of malnutrition and starvation will do that to you- even if they’re cartoon children. Easilly one of the most depressing movies I’ve ever seen, but it is quite good.

That’s it. Thank you, thank you thank you!! The only dark comedy end of the world movie I know of, and definitely worth the cost of a rental, if one can find a rental – which is what I am presently going to try to do.

Well, Kaiju!? Do you guys carry it at Scarecrow? :wink:

Of course, Seattle is a bit far from Canberra… hell, it’d be hard to just make it to the gome and back to the store in the rental period!

Man you cannot count Anime! The list would at least triple in size. Do you know how many anime flicks are set post apocalypse? I dare not even start that list…

Although, I hear that Grave of the Fireflies which really is about nuclear holocaust is particularly gut wrenching, though I have never seen it.[/quote]

Way too many anime take place after WWIII. Think this has anything to do with the A-bombs that endind the Pacific War in WWII?

yeh, probably…

We really do need a new flick that does it RIGHT… not

“oh crap we have an ‘asteroid/commet/zombies/the middle of the earth stops spinning/the wiggles are performing’ and the world will be all dead and shit unless we stop it with 'full US military action/nasa/dumb luck”

I want to see FAILURES… I want to see a movie that reminds us that apocolypse will kill 95% of the population… I want REAL style survival… I want characters that try to live but don’t… I want PARANIOA…and I don’t want terrorists to be the cause. ( Maybe cheese… cheese gone MAD, that’d rock.!)
:twisted:

Well, I was going to say The Day after Tomorrow, having seen the trailer just last night. However, I checked IMDB, and it looks like Dennis Quaid is going to miraculously alter the entire Earth’s climate at the end of the movie, just around the time when he rescues his young son.

Sigh.

There’s also When Worlds Collide, which answers every school boy’s most burning question: what happens when a planet smashes into the Earth? A lot of props to this movie for actually blowing up the Earth at the end of it.

Robot Monster is also technically an end-of-the-world-by-proxy-of-the-patented-Billion-Bubble-Machine flick. And Frankenstein Unbound answers the age old question: what would happen if you were stuck in a post-nuclear winter with a Frankenstein? It takes some bad Bridget Fonda posturing and a talking car to get there, though.

That’s it. Thank you, thank you thank you!! The only dark comedy end of the world movie I know of, and definitely worth the cost of a rental, if one can find a rental – which is what I am presently going to try to do.[/quote]

Doesn’t seem like it was ever distributed on video. There are a couple people selling personal NTSC copies on ebay (USA), so I’d keep an eye on ebay Australia for PAL copies.

Was 28 Day Later mentioned on the first page?

Awesome movie, and just released on DVD.

Don’t know if anyone mentioned it but Miracle Mile could be put in the same category. Maybe also Testament by Lyne Littman, or the Russian movie Letters from a dead man.