Endless Space 2

I should, but I had to run back into the office. If I think of it tonight I will, if someone hasn’t beaten me to it by then.

They recommend you delete a file if you’ve played the Early Access version. Maybe that will help?

Info:

The 4X’s

I’ve been told they’re still working on updates. I love this game, but the build I’ve been playing has all sorts of minor issues like that.

Also, I disagree with the idea that combat is won or lost in the ship building. Command points will win a lot of battles. Also, the combat cards are a significant part of combat, and they’re decided when a battle happens. As a game progresses, the choices open up and can heavily favor one side over another based on which cards each player chooses.

Finally, this game seems to have a serious documentation issue. The manual that’s been available for download is clearly based on a really old EA build. Hopefully that will be updated, because there are some fundamental systems in here that are 100% unexplained and unintuitive. Good luck trying to figure out pacific conversion, influence pressure, constellations, corporations, depletion, and anything related to the diplomacy system. :(

-Tom

You can substitute the name of any of the other seven factions and your statement is still accurate. :)

-Tom

I look forward to reading Tom’s review

I look forward to writing it! Unfortunately, I don’t feel like the build we were given was ready to be reviewed without making a lot of assumptions.

-Tom

Hahaha! Look at the old geezer who reads manuals! Haha!

I still buy copies of old games just for their manuals. Like the entire Star Fleet series, for example. :P

+1

Played for a little while (until I hit a freeze-up), and came across a fair number of head scratchers. Very annoying, although I am going to try to be optimistic and hope some improved documentation comes out soon.

I am on the fence … does it have heart? And you know what I mean.

Endless Legend and Dungeon of the Endless had a lot of heart, and I have no reason to think Endless Space 2 is any different.

That’s good news, I suspected the combat got deeper as you unlocked more aspects to it, but I only played the one early access game to turn 45 or so. I still think the early game combat is totally fine though. I’m really glad to hear you’re enjoying it - it was actually your (first, haven’t seen the second yet) stream on the game that pushed me over the edge into pulling the trigger.

I’m digging my next game, and I’m finding the AI seems to know what it’s doing, at least far better than I. I discovered that hovering over the End Turn button seems to bring up some sort of “score” and I’m … not doing fantastic. And the AI near me really doesn’t like me (I did steal her citizens trying to form an outpost so my own outpost in the same system could finish first, which she took as hostile, heh).

At the end of the day that’s the decider for me: can the AI play the game?

But I don’t fully trust anyone here on the subject after Endless Legends. Well other than Scott, but he also sucks at games so he might just be terrible.

Can someone tell me how long it take to restock probes? Right now I can’t see any notification as to whether or not you have any (until you try to launch one), or when they reappear.

There’s a cooldown timer on the infocard. I think it’s one probe every two turns, although the advanced titanium probes might be different. Also, if you sleep a ship with a probe on cooldown, it will wake up as soon as a probe is ready. Tres convenient! I think the tooltip says as much, so you might already know this.

-Tom

Most game systems do seem to make sense, and the in-game tutorial sort of gestures helpfully to the basic functionality of each screen. But some remain very opaque (where should I put my trade HQ and subsidiaries? What is diplomatic pressure? How do I use luxuries to attract minor race population?).

It’s a big game, and I’m sure it will make sense with a bit of time, experience, and players filling out the wiki. If the AI is vaguely competent, this knocks every other space 4X out the running, but I can’t tell yet.

There are plenty of known issues, too.

I did and immediately forgot about it. Creeping alter kockerism strikes again.

Underneath where it says “Empire Population”