Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Baldur’s Gate 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for me, for sure. Ascendancy was definitely cooler than I was counting on, though. . . just hard to beat anything Michael Hoenig did in the late 90s or the, well, “adventure” as @CraigM calls it in Xenoblade. “Melodies of Life” is actually my least favorite “popular” FF track, I think, so no hope there.

I’m also going with Ascendancy. Not super into any of these; Baldur’s Gate II is the only game I’ve actually played, but apparently I have no recollection of the music in that one. But Ascendancy sort of got my attention at least.

FF9 and Baldur’s Gate II

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Baldur’s Gate 2 :)

Ascendancy was cool but the FF9 track I actively disliked.

I remember the Ascendancy music being really impressive at the time, for sure. That kind of instrumentation and recording quality was rare. Not sure it’s that interesting compositionally.

So it might be a little unfair, but I’m going with Baldur’s Gate II and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Final Fantasy IX out of that lot.

I’m gonna go Baldurs Gate and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

While my lizard hindbrain wanted to pick Ascendancy for nostalgia purposes, it’s a little bit one note when listening alone. I also think that I like the intro movie variation (arrangement?) a little more, which is slightly less martial and more awe-inspring.

Ascendancy and Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Ascendancy and Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Final Fantasy 9 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

I think it’s safe to say Xenoblade Chronicles is probably going through this round…

I’m going to have to go with Baldur’s Gate II and Ascendancy this round. Xenoblade wasn’t bad, but that Final Fantasy one just did nothing for me.

We’ve got some brass heavy, starting piece this time around.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Ascendancy

Group D Results

• Skyrim: 17
  • Wolfenstein: 9
  • Breath of Fire IV: 7
  • The Wolf Among Us: 6

Baldur’s Gate II and Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I remember being a big fan of Eyes on Me back in the day but I don’t think I can stomach that kind of schmaltz any more I’m afraid so, Melodies of Life, while sweet, is just too much for me. Ascendancy sounds very grand but as a standalone piece I didn’t find it that interesting overall because it doesn’t have much movement.

The Baldur’s Gate II theme has movement; it starts with a touch of menace before breaking into a gallant adventurous march, then it drops down to an eerie and melancholic passage with a glimmer of hope in the brass. I wasn’t wild about it on my first listen but have subsequently warmed to it a lot.

Alba Cavanish sounded triumphant and full of adventure which is something I can always get behind when done well. I’m not sure about the electric guitar either but I can’t help be won over by the rest of it.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Baldur’s Gate II it is then.

Group F

Group E Results

• Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 14
  • Baldur’s Gate II: 13
  • Ascendancy: 7
  • Final Fantasy IX: 6

Quake 2 and VVVVVV

I honestly always loved that Reactor music for its time and the game is super cool. I played the hell out of the Atari cart. It’s not enough to get me to vote for it, though. The Q2 music the best of butt rock for shooting things in the face. Love that.

Bioshock and VVVVVVV