Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Quake 2 and VVVVVV.

I wanted to vote for Reactor, because it sounds great, but musically there’s not too much going on there.

Bioshock and VVVVVVV for me

Quake 2 and VVVVVV

VVVVVV and BioShock

VVVVVVV and Bioshock

Also, I hate that I missed voting for Ascendancy, it was my nomination, but it appears it would have been for naught anyway. A great soundtrack for that game overall, though.

What part of that Reactor video am I supposed to be listening to?

Quake 2 and VVVVVV

@RichVR didn’t specify a particular track or segment, so I’d say just listen to as much as you want until you get the idea and it starts feeling repetitive. You’re not required to do the full 25 minutes.

Quake 2 and VVVVVV pretty easily take this one.

I think @RichVR was refering to this:

VVVVVV and Bioshock for me.
VVVVVV’s soundtrack is such a brilliant rendition of both the vibe and arrange of the late 80s demo scene. I disliked that scene very much, yet VVVVVV somehow manages to make it not annoying, quite the reverse.
Putting aside the typical violin tearjerker, I was surprised by the dissonance and chords of the Bioshock soundtrack extract. That’s one series of games I really got to play some day.

Reactor and Quake 2

As I listened to the Quake 2 track, I was using FB in another window/monitor, and the silly Tunak Tunak Tun metal cover video was playing on someone’s wall, and they were briefly synced up, and it was glorious as fuck. I also really enjoyed the “Reactor” clip more than I figured I would; nice pick! Bioshock worked alright for me with its slow, sorrowful tones and discordant notes, but in the end, I was a little surprised to find that my favorites were Quake 2 - “Sonic Mayhem” (well that part wasn’t especially surprising) and VVVVV - “Passion for Exploring”.

Quake 2 and VVVVVV

VVVVVV and Quake 2

I don’t love either, but think both are decent to good. Reactor and Bioshock did nothing for me.

Bioshock and Quake 2 for me this round.

Quake 2 and VVVVVV

I felt the Bioshock track was missing something. It sounds like bits and pieces of a Jerry Goldsmith score for Alien but lacked the punch in the middle to complete it.

Bioshock and VVVVVVV

(I copied and pasted from someone else, so don’t blame me if I got the wrong number of Vs!)

Bioshock and Quake 2.

I think I had a pirated (or shareware?) version of Quake 2 as a kid so never heard the soundtrack, presumably because it was the easiest thing to cut to keep the file size down. I remember NIN’s soundtrack for Quake, which we owned on CD-ROM. Either way, I liked the Quake 2 tune from the first listen and I wish I’d been able to hear it while fighting the recoil on my machine gun.

Love VVVVVV and its soundtrack (which is called PPPPPP because every track begins with P). As I mentioned up thread ‘Passion for Exploring so perfectly suits Captain Viridian venturing forth from his spacecraft into the wilds of the overworld’. It’s not my favourite tune from V but it’s still great.

The Reactor theme has this amazing dot matrix printer kind of sound with a pumping heartbeat-like pulse, and I love those voices too.

Good observation. Yeah, I wasn’t feeling the Bioshock theme quite as much as I expected. It’s a sad song still.

Hmm. VVVVVV and… it’s a toss-up between Quake 2 and Reactor. Reactor, I can’t resist that dot matrix printer sound chewing everything up.

I’ll vote for VVVVVV and for Bioshock!

(And now I’m curious what everyone’s favorite VVVVVV songs are because I nominated that one and I had a hard time choosing.)