Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Man, that guy has a talent I will never understand.

Going deep into the archives for this one: Invasion of the Empire. It’s a Jesper Kyd track off Freedom Fighters.

This is a great thread - I used to listen to this whole soundtrack walking to class.

I’ve been a musician for a considerable part of my life and I don’t understand how he does that either. ;)

Right? It seems like some sort of crazy auditory puzzle that only he can solve.

One Winged Angel is insane. I think he said it was the hardest one he’s ever put together?

Oh wow, I had no idea that wasn’t the original version (I never played Civ IV). The Soweto Gospel Choir version is sublime.

This was so much harder than I thought once the thread started filling up! Gah, and now prioritising them…

Super Mario Galaxy - Gusty Garden Galaxy theme:

DOOM - BFG Division

Crypt of the Necrodancer - Disco Descent

Rayman Legends - Luchador

Sadly relegated:

Cuphead - Aviary Action
https://youtu.be/wSRAdi1wVW0

Splatoon - Squid Sisters Song
https://youtu.be/kPZz6oJi8yE

Last edited: 14/02/2018

American McGee’s Alice

Cate Archer from NOLF:

And I’ll reiterate Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption (linked above).

Ha, Thraeg thought we might maybe hit 16 entries. We’ll be at this all year!

Several of my top picks are already in, so this is just me padding out the few I’d want in the running that aren’t currently there.

Zero, from the climactic dogfight in the final mission of Ace Combat Zero:

Act on Instinct, from Command & Conquer:

Terran 3, from StarCraft:

Heh, yeah, nobody replied when I floated the idea in the game music thread, so I didn’t want to make assumptions about the level of interest.

Dustforce - Cider Time

Bloodborne - Father Gascoigne, The Hunter

Including this just so we can have an ‘Elder Scrolls-off’. I love this ‘Imperial’ version for Oblivion but my favorite game music is still Neverar Rising from Morrowind, posted earlier by @Vesper. :)

Jeremy Soule - Reign of the Septims

There’s an awful lot of Jeremy Soule in this thread. That’s a good thing!

Also I have to say - this thread is an amazing idea. I’m loving listening to all of this music. Bringing back lots of great gaming memories.

Ok I have some nominations. First, and I could fill a thread with songs from this series, the incredible Metroid Prime

The game just oozed atmosphere, and one critical aspect was the music. When you first step out onto the snowbanks, after some intense fighting, to be greeted by this serene plateau with this gorgeous track? I just stood there and took it in.

Speaking of another series that has an impressive coterie of music:

It isn’t my favorite game of the series, but damn if it doesn’t have some of the best music.

And my third pick, one I am legitimately surprised to see no one pick this studio yet (cough @rhamorim cough) , is something from Supergiant.

Could easily tab stuff from Transistor here too.

And one that I include because the band, not the game. Because @ArmandoPenblade was to weak to cheese any of the real bands into the competition. I know you know about Blind Guardian’s inclusion Randy.

So now for alternate song choices for those three, since it would be easy to do

You might start noticing I have a ‘type’ of song I find particularly good for video game music, you’re not wrong.

Yeah Uematsu is a master of game music, no getting around it.

Seriously, Ashlet Barrett’s singing is sublime.

A fantastic pick, for sure. If I could mention more than four you can be sure it would be there in the top ten. ;)

A New Days Begins by James Hannigan from Republic: The Revolution:

The Synapse (Wan Chai Marketplace) by Alexander Brandon from Deus Ex:

Caprice by Jeremey Soule from TES III: Morrowind:

The Noble Tauren (1 & 2) by David Arkenstone from World of Warcraft: Cataclysm:

In the beginning there was SID

Monty On The Run - Monty On the Run

and if I wasn’t playing my C64 I was down the arcades. I could probably find better but this was an earworm for years.

Salamander - Stage 5

fast forward a bit and I got a PC and Q2

Quake 2 - Operation Overlord

hard to choose which of my other early PC games but this evokes so many memories.

Diablo 2 - Tristram

I cant honestly say these are my top 4 because I would have spent all night trying to choose but I opened youtube and went for these instinctively and fairly quickly. There are so many 8-bit and 16-bit tunes i love its silly, and I barely scraped into this century on PC, and ignored entire generations of consoles.

Edit: I scrolled through this thread again and saw Tristam in the 2nd post, despite checking a few times before posting. Ctrl-F next time i guess.

I’m sure there are better, but these are some that stuck with me.

1. Broken Valley Wakes - Divinity 2
  1. Lelianna’s Song - Dragon Age Origins
  1. One of my favorite pieces of game music ever, but also one that for years (pre-internet) I had stuck in my head and had no idea where it came from. It has a sci fi feel to me that feels almost out of place in a boxing game, but is just a great composition.

Punch Out - Fight Theme

1. We could probably do a bracket with just MM2 and Streets of Rage 2. While it’s impossible to pick a “best” track, this is my favorite. This is the song I think of when I think chiptune.

Mega Man 2 - Metal Man

1. Persona 4 and 5 are already represented, so I’ll toss this in there. Is it actually good, or just Stockholm syndromed I to your head after 100+ hours of gameplay? Who knows?

Persona 3 - When the Moon Reaches for the Stars

1. This is kind of a comedy nomination, although I actually do like this one. I think the fighting game community hates it, but I think it’s a great, dumb pop song. Stick around for the chorus.

Street Fighter 4 - Indestructible