Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Man, I loved Ascendancy. IIRC, it was super unbalanced, but I played the hell out of it.

She sure has got a sublime voice! Yeah, there are so many pieces I could have chosen too and I’m tempted to make some changes still, but I think down that road lies madness. I’d have difficulty not choosing the subterranean version of Torvus Bog! Red Soil is an old favourite of mine.

Torvus vs Phendrana was indeed a tough call.

@CLWheeljack Mega Man definitely has some top tier music.

Here are my 4…

Bioshock : The Ocean on His Shoulders - Main Theme by Garry Schyman

The Legend of Zelda - A Link To The Past - Ending Theme

The Wolf Among Us - Intro Theme

Portal - 'Still Alive’

@CraigM I had actually forgotten “Sacred” was initially released for the videogame and not the album. D’oh! Damn, that woulda definitely cracked my top 4.

Wow, that is… a lot better than I expected, actually. Thanks for sharing! I may even buy Sacred 2 the next time it shows up in a GOG sale because of that. ;)

It was Blind Guardian, of course it was good. I don’t love them quite as much as @ArmandoPenblade, but they would comfortably be contending for a top 10 spot with me.

Yes, @rhamorim, if you dig Lord of the Rings, be sure to give their album based on The Silmarillion a jam sometime:

Yes, Blind Guardian probably makes my top 10 artists, but Nightfall definitely makes my top 5 desert island albums.

I know I’ve suggested it to @rhamorim before. He would like it I think.

Kudos for finding a way to sneak in Blind Guardian!

Anyway, since A) we have plenty of entries, B) it’s been a couple days since the last new entry, and C) nobody has mentioned needing a week to sift through their vast mp3 collection and come up with the perfect nominees, I’m thinking of bumping up the start date to Wednesday Feb. 14.

If anyone would prefer to delay, though I’ll stick with the 19th as originally scheduled.

This is a great thread idea. Looking forward to the competition!

My #1 nominee is from VVVVVV. I could have nominated several of the tracks. The pinnacle of chiptune music, for my money:

VVVVVV - Passion for Exploring

Star Control II - Commander Hayes Theme (couldn’t decide on the best track here… Are there other favorites?)

Katamari Damacy

And then in the semi-self-promotion category, I’m going to mention something from Before the Storm because it really is one of my favorite game soundtracks ever:

Life is Strange: Before the Storm - Glass

Honorable Mentions

• Curse of Monkey Island
  • Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
  • Outcast

Can’t watch that video… blocked in my country. :(

But yeah, I’ll see if I can find and listen to that album. Thanks for the recommendations, people!

That’s some classic OG shit right there.

I loved that scene in Sacred 2! I’m not a metal guy but a bunch of werewolves head banging to nordic hair metal is kind of the coolest thing ever. Too bad Sacred 2 is broken now on PC…

Yes, I’m going to be ‘that guy’ and point out that Blind Guardian are German (as are the Sacred 2 devs). :)

(also not hair metal…) ;)

The 65daysofstatic soundtrack for No Man’s Sky. (again, good speakers help)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlTF1lzrdjg

Ona Hei from Shogun 2 Total War. A Japanese figure skater actually used this music in the Olympics during her performance.

Jeremy Soule’s Awake from the Skyrim OST

Damn i do love this track from Shadowrun: Dragonfall. I want to make an animated gif out of it i love it so much. (having decent speakers helps)

Star Control 2 totally slipped my mind. The Yehat theme is probably my favorite.

…do they not have hair?
Pedantry 1, Accuracy 0!

(but, yea, didn’t know they were German.)

Haha well you were right that it’s an awesome scene and kind of the coolest thing ever, that’s the main thing. :)

(not to delve too deeply into the mire that is metal sub genres, but ‘hair’ is basically another name for ‘glam’ metal, which was a pop/rock style as done by bands like Poison, Motely Crue, Bon Jovi, often thematically focused on women, cars, drugs, etc.

Blind Guardian would be considered ‘power metal’, which as a style tends to be bombastic and symphonic, and often based thematically around fantasy and mythology.)

Breath of Fire IV ~Opening Animation~

Jade Empire ~ The Way of the Open Palm~

Secret of Mana ~ Fear of the Heavens ~

Dragon Age Origins ~ King Edrin ~

Hard to choose just four. I probably could pick for from one album but here’s my attempt at least.

Honorable Mention

Gemfire - Opening Theme
because kind of forgot I had this and wanted to share