Enter the Game Music Thunderdome

Mass Effect 2 and Ultima Underworld

I was a bit torn between nominating The End Run or Grunt. The End Run is probably a more memorable track, but Grunt is more varied. Tali came in a close third behind the two.

Okay, I’ve not played any of the other games so, aside from the familiar Elder Scrolls themes, they’re dry runs. With Ultima Underworld the MIDI sound is hard to listen past but I really liked its sparse and forlorn sound. It feels like it would suit the game based on my very limited time with Arx Fatalis which I hear was a successor of sorts to UU. Surprisingly evocative.

I’m very much in agreement with @krayzkrok in that the Oblivion theme never measured up to Morrowind’s and what (I think) it did introduce was fleshed out more in Skyrim’s OST with Unbroken Road. I adore that piece.

Grunt’s pulsing electronic sections I really liked but the rest just didn’t do much for me, even after a few listens.

So in addition to my Doom vote above, I’m going with Ultima Underworld, unexpectedly.

Oh, so I submitted BFG Division because, aside from being an absolute beast of a tune, it perfectly captures the feeling of running and gunning, ripping and tearing through hordes of demons like a bona fide badass. It’s just the perfect marriage to me and I can’t help but feel that same thrill every time I hear it. This video pretty much sums it up:

I mean, even Mick Gordon himself dropped that into his Doom: Behind the Music presentation.

The final section of the piece starting at 3:45 always felt like the chaos ringing in my ears once the dust had settled. The version on the soundtrack is far too long and overwrought but the in-game rip (submitted) is just perfect.

I submitted the Soundblaster one because it’s the one I heard when I played it. :)

Doom
Ultima Underworld

The Doom track is the music I want playing when i die a glorious heroic death in a last stand.

Doom and Oblivion for me

Doom and Ultima Underworld are the winners here for me.

Busy and away from the computer at the moment, but round 2 will start tonight.

Time for loading music?

Are the pairings set? If so I’d like to start work on the bracket image.

Not yet. Need to go through and enter the last few rounds of results.

Ok, just let me know when, I should be able to whip one up tomorrow morning.

I vote for Doom and Mass Effect 2.

Group AF Results:

Doom: 14
Mass Effect 2: 10
Ultima Underworld: 8
Oblivion: 7

And with that, the group stage is over, and round 2 is underway! Each remaining track has already prevailed against two worthy adversaries; the remaining rounds will be single elimination. The tracks have been re-seeded into this bracket: https://challonge.com/12kl0nvq

Each day I will post two separate head-to-head matches. Vote for your preferred track in each match. Also, @nesrie reminded me that Discourse has polls built in, so I’m going to try them out for voting and see how it goes. We will continue to have 24-hour rounds, but I’m going to start posting new rounds in the evening.

Match 1:

• Cybernoid
  • Ace Combat Zero

0 voters

Match 2:

• Donkey Kong Country
  • Wolfenstein

0 voters

Just a tiny point on the poll text, the tune in question is Cybernoid II.

Thanks!

I love the polls!!

Oh, man. Ace Combat Zero just reminded me that I didn’t nominate anything from the Shadow Watch soundtrack. :(

Ok here is the final round robin image

And here is the real deal tournament one v one bracket!

It’s big, sorry.