Entropy and empires collide in Sunless Skies, the best game of 2019

It’s easier to see in safari.

I guess my bigger issue is that none of my passwords seem to work, so I was wondering if something was going wrong. Anyway, I can wait for it to go public!

Read the supporters post fully. The password is in there.

THAT makes way more sense. Thanks.

(Pssst: don’t tell anyone, but I was trying to figure it out yesterday too. ;) Armando with the assist on figuring that out.)

It’s public now. I have released it into the wild!

-Tom

It’s coming straight for us!

A review that makes me want the game mightily!

Typo (maybe in the source material or otherwise when copied over):

The less said about the lion timer, the better

16878_1

Bathwater!

I don’t pay you Patreon money to receive special rewards Tom, I pay you Patreon money to hopefully allow you to keep turning out content like this. Knocked it out of the ball park, well played!

I find myself slowly migrating away from AAA to niche simulation and indie titles. “Games” have so much potential for powerful storytelling, but the industry is still clumsily immature. The coordination of gameplay with narrative is steadily improving though, and indies seem to be where that is occurring fastest.

Based on Tom’s recommendation I played Oxenfree over this past weekend and feel that it was worth my time. Not there yet, by a longshot, but a step in the right direction. Now I am looking closely at Sunless Skies, a title I would probably never have found on my own. Thanks Tom for pointing it out. Here’s to hoping it pushes further ahead toward that grand potential.

Dinosaur bones on the moon is a flourish on top.

It’ll be awhile before I get a chance to play Sunless Skies, but I put a hold on Brannen’s book as soon as I read this. Thanks for the review!

The review got me excited for this and I googled and discovered it’s coming to the Switch! No idea when, but I can probably wait for that version with my current backlog. That’s the platform I can play most often, so I’m excited for that.

And that should also be the Sovereign Edition which will be (probably) the final, feature-complete/story-complete version of the game.

And Xbox, and PS4! I mostly play stuff on my Xbox, but the comment upthread about playing in VR makes me want to try that with PSVR. Probably too low-rez, though. And yes, it is the Sovereign Edition for all three.

Thanks for the review, Tom. It’s really well written, and you said all the right things to get me in (not that that was your goal). I loves the writing in FL, but the gameplay was stupid. I actually really like Cultist Simulator, but the need to go through the entire game to get to New Game+ just kills my interest. Hearing that they struck the right balance between gameplay and exploration makes me happy.

There’s always going to be a large number of mainstream gamers who spend lots of money and don’t want any of this.

Done the exact same thing!

I finally read the review. That felt very abstract. I guess I won’t really understand the review until I play the game one day. I felt the same after Fallen London’s review. I have this abstract idea about what’s in the game, but it’s obscured by London fog.