Entropy and empires collide in Sunless Skies, the best game of 2019

It won’t matter when you beat Tom’s level on the Sunless Skies leaderboards.

Yep. Same deal as movies. The difference is that movies have matured and artful narratives which take full advantage of the medium exist.

Can’t wait for the same to be true of games.

This is currently 50% off on GoG.

I always knew my life would end at the bottom of a bottle.

Oh hell no, you are not alone! I adore this too. Games I love playing in VR include Slay the Spire and Faeria. Both simple to play games that work oh so well with a Rift and a touch controller :-)

I’ve been playing a few hours and I’m really enjoying it. Sunless Skies gives me a great feeling of exploration, similar to Breath of the Wild. That said, I felt the beginning of the game was a little obtuse with regards to explaining mechanics. The prospect system is interesting, but in so much as it works differently than most RPG quest systems, I found it a challenge to find in the interface the information that I needed to understand what to do. As such, I burned through some of my money unnecessarily, not really understanding how the economy works. I may have to start over to avoid that type of stupid mistake.

One of the things the game really doesn’t make clear is that the places you can turn in port reports – which is a mainstay for building your funds up early on in the game and probably should be part of what you do throughout the game as you influence factions back and forth – are not actually in the main hub port. They’re smaller docks that are fairly close by the main hub port, but you have to explore to find them.

Once I figured that part out, the game is kind enough economically early on that I could absorb my trade and money/cargo management mistakes well enough. But until I solved that I was worried about funds for sure.

If only someone had bothered to mention how damned good this game was. Inconsiderate, really…

I’ve been home recovering from the flu, and this has really hit the spot. The pace is just a tad slow at times, but just about everything else is hitting the spot. And even though I’ve started a new captain upon each death, I think just having the option of reloading a save has taken a lot of the sting out of death. Also, train whistle!

This absolutely would have made my Top 10 for 2019 if I had bothered to even load it up then…

Sunless Seas is due on Xbox and Switch later this month, but there was also this update on the Sunless Skies port:

The studio also notes that it’s currently working on Sunless Skies: Sovereign Edition - an enhanced version of Sunless Sea’s wonderful spacefaring sequel - which is expected to launch on PC, Switch, PS4, and Xbox around August/September this year.

Guess I’ll be waiting a bit to finally play this one, but that’s fine.

Good news and bad news.

Good news: The iPad version of Sunless Seas (the first game, to be clear) is on sale at 50% off this week. And the Switch Zubmariner Sunless Seas version is coming shortly.

Bad news: The definitive “Sovereign Edition” of Sunless Skies that gets a cross-platform release (and free update if you own the game already) has been pushed back to August/September.

Stop reminding me! I saw the Tweet a few days ago and was just coming to terms with the delay, only to have you show up and re-demoralize me!

Seriously, though, they can take all the time they need. As far as I’m concerned Sunless Skies is timeless. I’ve got plenty to do until then, and whatever they need to do to call an update sovereign with a capital S, they can take their time to do it right. I did have a lot of plot threads in the air, though, when I stopped playing because I thought the Sovereign update was just around the corner.

Hmmm, Sunless Sea on the Switch. Not that I’m going anywhere anytime soon that I need a portable Sunless Sea. I imagine one of the casualties the pandemic is the utility of mobile platforms…

-Tom

I was luxuriating in how much different Albion was to where it was when the game launched…but yeah, I can wait.

Psh, considering my daily commute is from bed to desk and back, my Switch is my constant companion these days! Well, except when the gf steals it, at least.

The mobility of the Switch is still kind of a lifesaver with my wife and I both stuck in the house. If we were both trying to use the tv when we decide we need some time “alone together”, I’d never get any gaming done.

Aw, that’s so cute. I miss that.

We got married in January, so we still have a lot to figure out about living together in general. Then suddenly two months into that, everything is closed and we can’t visit anyone, so that has made the learning curve steeper than we expected. But overall it’s a lot more to be thankful for than to stress out about.

Is there an “end” to this game beyond the ambitions? I’m about 40 hours in, with a good 25 of that on my current captain, and so far happily following various plot threads and saving up for a top-tier locomotive and gear, but will it actually wrap up or do I just play until I feel done?

Rather curious as to an answer to this question myself.