Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

SteamSpy. Heh. It makes so much sense.

https://metacouncil.com/threads/epic-game-store-spyware-tracking-and-you.766/
Epic Store reads your Steam data

Sounds like someone is about to see a GDPR order.

Wow, and what if say they were to create a plan to give away free games to get everyone to install the EPIC game launcher. To be able to mine your Steam data?

D:

I only have 3 friends (My wife, Talisker and Creole_Ned. And I don’t care if they watch me playing XXX Hentai Bikini Babes Xtreme Date Sim Anime Lustbots Grim Dawn.

How can you only have 3 friends with that wonderful avatar.

Because I’m shy.

Props to your wife for not being bothered by ahem Grim Dawn when the client pops up that little notification.

Epic Games is just so scummy. This is exactly the problem. Their ‘roadmap’ seems noble, but the moves they’ve been making have been aggressive and dismissive of consumers. There’s a great danger lurking in them, rather than Valve, dominating the PC scene.

It’s just one more launcher… with your credit card information, personal information, and now mining data off your Steam account without your permission!

Gosh, this is a really surprising development from Epic. They’ve been so customer-focused in their drive to make the Epic Store a thing, I never saw something like this coming.

Wonder if they are pulling Steam DB info to see which Steam titles/devs/genres have the most user “engagement” to input into their decisions for offering Devs exclusivity deals?

Seems like a smart move.

Now I am paranoid about the info Steam has on me…

That’s why I never actually play any games on Steam, I just buy them.

I’m greatly anticipating Epic’s explanation for this behavior.

People, “Epic, this is preposterous. So what do you have to say for yourselves?”
Epic, "Free 30-day Battlepass! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

957d4eaa653f3d97b55e37e1c8e2d1bd48a91afdd1a5f3db761c0a5a1d1d "

Epic is actually unaware there’s a backlash due to their lack of forums.

And they can’t be review bombed either because there aren’t any reviews. :D

It’s genious really

Its a lot. Just fyi.

Not that excuses Epic getting in on the spying on gamers act.

But yeah its bullshit Epic (and all game companies who do this, which is most) should get much more heat for this stealing of data.

note: the industry code word for spying on you is called “telemetry” just as an fyi. So if you ever want to ask a publisher what they track if you are not lucky enough to live in a GDPR country ask about that.