Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Is that right? General rule of thumb back from MMO days is total sales=5*concurrent. Only like 100k sales on PC is pretty grim.

The developer of Assault Android Cactus publicly noted that Epic denied their studio’s application to be on the Epic Game Store.

So they do a reverse 1 year exclusivity too? Huh, interesting.

Yep, there’s only so many snowflakes that fit on a curated store, who could guess, and wasn’t this what everyone wanted?

That reminds me of the time I threw a board game from our local Gaming Goat into our white elephant exchange at work.

“Oh, it’s a…game!” (Yes.)

confused look “Have you played it?” (No.)

“It looks…British or something!” (???)

It was pretty clear that Epic was only recruiting developers who already “won” and had plenty of mind share and name recognition - they minimize potential payout on a guaranteed sales agreement. Picking up a smaller indie with a passionate core of fans that might be turned off by exclusivity, leading to poor sales? Not a good look for a new store.

Really? Just because you want something to be true doesn’t make it so. This comment seems to forget or be ignorant of the fact Epic has been around a long time and were very profitable well before Fortnite (Unreal, Gears of War, etc.)

Assuming you’re right regarding the store’s dependency on Fortnite, when do you expect your timeline of the “Fortnite well dries up” event to occur? I propose it’s many years from now. I have been amazed at the longevity of online games; I stopped playing Everquest and World of Warcraft years ago but they’re still running and likely still churning a profit. Declaring predictions of the store’s demise also doesn’t seem to consider how much money Fortnite has made for Epic’s bankroll. Given the mountain of money they have, why do you believe they’ll abandon their store just because Fortnite is no longer the flavor of the month? You realize it only takes one more solid game for them to fatten their coffers some more (especially if it was built on their engine)?

Although I agree the Epic Games Store longevity and overall success is still an unknown, comments declaring it as dead once Fortnite declines shows a general lack of understanding around business and Epic’s place in the gaming industry.

That gameindustry.biz article has been updated with a clarification on that $500M quote:

“We misspoke at the GamesIndustry.biz PAX East Investment Summit and the number being reported is not accurate,” the representative said. “While we aren’t sharing revenue numbers, the store is off to a strong start, and we’re excited about the opportunities for developers and players in the coming year.”

I was talking about the Store, not company as a whole. I give Fortnite ~3 years max.

Jesus H. Christ. No. You’re paying for those services via the 30% royalty cut that Steam takes from your sales. EGS provides a competing but less advanced service for a 12% cut.

Most of what Valve built into SteamWorks used to be built by us. Even those of us who had our own similar systems, eventually migrated to SW because 1) it made sense 2) we were paying for it anyway

Tweet deleted. I wonder why. heh.

It’s more nuanced than that. e.g. take a look at the indie games they give away. Those are paid for by EGS to the devs.

Really? You know Warframe just turned 6, right?

First of all, not even remotely comparable. Second, do you know how many players DayZ had? Where is it today? Do you know the bleed rate of playerbase for PUBG since Fortnite came to the scene, and then Apex?

Fortnite has been out long enough that competitors had time to come up with similar products. Apex is just the first big hit.

At its peak, DayZ had 43k concurrent players while Fortnite has something on the order of 11M. I’m not sure using something that isn’t even remotely comparable as a counter-argument against something not being remotely comparable is productive. Very meta.

Another Ubi game to abandon Steam after release.

https://www.anno-union.com/en/ubisoft-is-partnering-with-epic-games-store-for-anno-1800/

It’s the game PUBG evolved from.

And if you can’t understand why Warframe has no relation whatsoever on this discussion then I don’t know what to tell you.

Yes, but they’re about as far apart in style, mechanics, and basic gameplay as can be. It’s like predicting Apex’s future from the performance of Titanfall.

Believe what you want. DayZ pretty much started the trend of survival games that pulled insane numbers, especially on streaming sites, and that eventually led to the popularity of BR mode.

Anyway, as I said. 3 years.

I still don’t get why Warframe isn’t comparable. Because it’s not PVP focused?