Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

I guess because the one is one magnitude bigger than the other.

Sure but he’s trying to compare it to DayZ which had an all time peak of 45k players on steam while Warframe has a peak 135k, with a peak just this month of 115k. The last time Warframe had an average concurrent count that was below Dayz’s peak count was September 2017 except for one month. Unlike DayZ, Warframe seems to be gaining concurrent players overall (month to month is noisey but a rolling average looks to be increasing).

More or less yes. It doesn’t have survival pvp or BR pvp, both of which have mass streaming appeal for whatever reason (I honestly don’t understand it, but the numbers don’t lie).

edit: It also doesn’t have any direct competitor, f2p or not.

edit2: Also, DayZ literally had a BR mod back in the day. Let’s not forget that, yea?

This doesnt impact me as I was buying it off uPlay anyway but this seems to have little upside for anyone and will piss off a lot of folks who could do without the hassle.

With Anno 1800 there seems to be an opportunity to make a statement?

Just checked the steam site:

Sales of Anno 1800 will be discontinued on Steam after April 16th due to a publisher decision to make the game exclusive to another PC store.

The publisher has assured us that all prior sales of the game on Steam will be fulfilled on Steam, and Steam owners will be able to access the game and any future updates or DLC through Steam.

With steam preorders still being honored up until the release date, thats a window of 2 weeks where everyone wary of the Epic store buyouts and wanting to support steam, should buy the game there during the next 2 weeks. In theory if this number represents a significant amount of the total Anno sales, that should send a message to the industry?

(Though I’m probably just being naive here)

So did Arma 2. Which is where DayZ came from.

And? People bought Arma 2 so they could play DayZ, not the other way around.

I slammed the buy button on Steam as soon as I saw the news. Not as a way of supporting Steam per se, but it’s where I want to buy and manage my library of games.

I stopped buying full priced games on steam right after they started price matching the local brick and mortar stores. I refuse to pay an additional 10 dollars per game. Luckily Green Man Gaming doesn’t and has regular 10-20% off on most games.

I dunno. You tell me what point you’re trying to get to with DayZ. I gather that you think its wasted potential and poor release somehow predicts the future for Fortnite, but you still really haven’t connected the dots.

So about that not pulling games that are already on sale on Steam…

It’s better to watch their actions because so far their talking points have been bullshit, made up numbers, or moments where they ‘misspoke’ as today has proven quite handily.

Yeah, Epic is pretty scummy, as I’m sure the PUBG folks can testify to. Their game engine is fantastic and I’ve enjoyed a lot of their games (including PVE Fortnite), but I don’t trust them. The exclusive thing, while I understand the business side of the argument, has further pushed me away from their store.

I don’t know, my Steam library is pretty vast and amounts to thousands of dollars. While no one can know what happens to Steam down the road, they’ve earned my trust over the 12 or so years I’ve been using the service. They’ve had dominant market position for over a decade but they’ve never abused it from a customer POV. Prices for games have never been better and there’s a bunch of stuff like Workshop and Steamworks (for multiplayer) that’s made gaming so much more convenient for me. The thought of Epic being in a dominant position like that makes me a little nervous.

Sounds like Ubisoft was really happy with how Division 2 went to me.

In the contest between who is scuzzier, I’d say it’s PUBG Corp every time.

Well I am not the one that made Epic state for public record they wouldn’t do something and then watched them go do that same thing in like a week. Words matter.

You’re assuming Epic is responsible for this. I am positing that Ubisoft may have unilaterally decided to pull the game from Steam on their own.

It’s their store front. They’re not some fragile filly here just the victim at the whims of their developers. They don’t get to pretend they don’t know about Fig, or come out and say they wouldn’t do it this way again and then feign oh gosh it’s all the developers decisions and it’s not at all like we’re pushing exclusivity and tell anyone who doesn’t like it to fuck off. They made the bed their lying in.They don’t get to point at others anymore and say not me.

Everything coming out that camp seems to be a lie; hell they even had to pull back the numbers they released.

Dayz -> DayzBR -> PUBG. I mentioned it because it has a tangible connection to what followed. Its poor release has nothing to do with the future predictions, it’s just there to show how newer games completely encompassed it. I don’t want to say the games that followed were necessarily better because I honestly don’t get either mp survival or BR, but it happened.

If DayZ trips you up so much you can argue the PUBG case instead. It went from ~3m players to what, 1m?

Epic cares about Valve!

If you can predict what makes one of several similar shooters the king of the hill for any month, you should find a way to make a lot of money out of that, because I can’t make head or tails of it.

I don’t think he could possibly be more slimy if he tried.