Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

What’s up with the lack of hatred in this thread today? Went to look last night to see if I wanted to buy anything and noticed practically everything is full price now. Did they just give up on the sale?

No. Click through to the individual game page, and you’ll see the discount. It’s quite odd.

Edit: Poking about, I guess the way it goes is that they’ve got games that are on sale and they show the discounted price on the front page. Then any game that’s $14.99 or more (after the sale discount has been applied) will be $10 cheaper on the game’s own page.

If people got angry about all bugs, they wouldn’t use computing devices.

I really wanted to buy Oxygen Not Included and Bloodlines 2, but witnessing this debacle provided days of entertainment at no cost whatsoever, so I guess I still came out ahead.

Oh thanks, wonder why they pulled the discount off the front page now. Maybe too many people were getting confused on if that price included the $10 off.

Its because the sale prices are almost non-existent (I think there are maybe 10 games with a discount of more than 25%), and the only real deal is the $10 off discount direct from EPIC which doesn’t show till you hit the cart checkout screen.

So 50% of the site then? :P (seriously, I just checked and slightly more than 50% of the available titles are on sale).

As someone said up-thread, I think it’s more likely that developers/publishers don’t want their title, associated via IsThereAnyDeal, with a price that low. I’m sure the guys behind John Wick were thrilled that their ‘Lowest Historical Price’ was tracking to be 40% of their launch price.

On THQ Nordic’s investor call the CEO told attendees that although Metro Exodus did well digitally, the “absolute majority” of sales were on console. When asked specifically about Epic Games Store performance, he hesitated then said Exodus performed better than expected “in the beginning of the year” but would not elaborate.

He ignored a question about Satisfactory’s sales.

I think a lot of people are waiting on the epic store to see how it develops and for it to mature.

Or are just waiting for the timed exclusive period to expire. :)

That seems to be a reference to steam sales before it was taken off steam.

2009 Corporations Are People, Too - Us on P&R - “This is outrageous, of course they aren’t.”

2019 Us on Games - “Leeeeeaaaaave Epic alooooonnne!”

Have we all been collectively brainwashed to personify and empathise with corporations?

There are just as many “F EPIC!!1111” as “Leeeeeeave Epic aloooooone” posts around here. Some see brainwashed corporate lackeys supporting Epic while others see misinformed and ignorant gamers who are unaware of developer/studio business challenges.

EGS doesn’t understand how I use Steam. It’s my… [checks] 285 piece games collection browser/launcher with a store added on it. I guess the origins where Steam was how I played Q2 and HL mods and it grew from there. All my purchases are based around sales.

I have EGS, Uplay etc I just don’t open them when i fancy choosing what to play. The only way they might be used if they are consistently cheaper on the sale items I buy, I assume there’s a site which shows it all side by side but even then I suspect Epics only chance of having me open it daily and check it is time travel and launch EGS and release something better than Day of Defeat 1.3 about 19 years ago. First time Fortnite players outnumber first time HL players so Epic are laughing all the way to the bank anyway they’ve got an entire generation.

You didn’t link to a source, but listening to the actual call this is really bad spin. The exact question asked was:

“Let’s start with Metro and the Epic performance. Would you say that the sales on the Epic Games Store have performed in line or better than what you expected in the beginning of the year?”

He was not hedging or being shifty with the “beginning of the year” part of the answer, that’s specifically what the caller asked about! And “would not elaborate” is misleading, because the next question from the same caller was:

“And do you see a continued strong takeup at the Epic for the game?”

And he answered:

“In a way yes. However you need to remember this is a single-player game, you have a substantial part of the revenues coming in early. And then the revenues are driven by promotions.”

(Which is exactly what one would expect: either you buy a story-driven single player game within 1-2 weeks of launch or you wait for the sale).

He ignored a question about Satisfactory’s sales.

No he didn’t! That was the question that followed:

“The strong results from Coffee Stain were mainly due to sold copies of the Satisfactory game on the Epic Games Store?”

And the answer was: “Yes, that’s the right way to put it.”

(This was in reference to Coffee Stain’s sales had been specifically broken out on the slides, as 98M SEK, so a bit over $10M, vs 14M SEK in the previous quarter. These numbers + the confirmation that the revenue was indeed mainly from Satisfactory sales suggests it sold about 300k copies in Q1.)

New exclusive

New free game RIME is available, next game will be City of Brass.

I am impressed by Epic’s consistent ability to choose games I am not interested in for their giveaways :)

Natch, we both know it’s all about the gamecount++.

There’s a bit of me that wants Hades for $10, but I’m not sure I want to deal with the Epic launcher. Also, given their horrible performance so far on basic things like “sales,” I’m not 100% comfortable the launcher is actually going to be supported in 3-4 years.