Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

I bought it yesterday. Epic installed a shortcut on my desktop like I asked, and it’s a Uplay icon. But that launches Uplay and then launches the game.

However, I did launch Uplay just now separately on its own, and I do indeed have Far Cry Primal in my library of games now, but it shows it not under the games I currently have installed, but my overall game library. So it looks like I could uninstall the Epic version and just install it from the Uplay app if I want.

This name is reliable in the SNK community. Sounds like Epic was making a play on Samurai Shodown reboot.

So, I’m playing Operencia, but I’ve noticed that I don’t need the launcher for anything. The question is, how do the games get updated?

Magnets.

Launch the epic launcher and it will tell you what installed games have updates available.

Also, refunding a game doesn’t remove it from your library, or stop you from launching it.

Which is generous.

tenor

Tim Sweeney admits what we all knew.

tl;dr - Paid exclusives are the only way to compete against Steam.

What utter horseshit.

I do believe this will lead to greater profits. That makes me ecstatic for the little guys out there, and that’s important. But the idea that this is somehow going to translate into price reduction for consumers is such bullshit, and he knows it.

Price reduction huh… we’ll see. If only there was a way to see if there was a price reduction involved say, if a game was actually available at multiple stores at different prices.

resulting 18% increase in developer and publisher revenue

Oh, for fuck’s sake. I would have expected at least Sweeney to have done the math, and know it’s actually a 25% increase in revenue.

I’ll go where the developers go, as long as they have a game I want to play, at a price I think is reasonable, on a platform that is usable.

If it makes them more money, that is great. If it saves me money, that would be also great. If it makes them more money, but doesn’t cost me more money, that would be okay.

It absolutely should not be controversial to say that lower costs and greater competition can lead to lower pricing.

I mean, it won’t. But it could.

I’m not price sensitive. I don’t care about that, games are too cheap anyway. I was buying games for $60 twenty years ago. What I want are better games, and more of them, and it should-- again-- not be controversial that lower costs and greater competition leads there.

My takeaway is still no release date for Outlaw Galaxy Rebel Alliance.

It’s not controversial at all, except that statement doesn’t include exclusives which is the reality of today. Also, it is not a given that price savings are just going to be passed on to consumers… still waiting for all the lower prices due to tax cuts, sometimes companies just pocket it?

Tim is talking about a year or two down the road, when they will assumedly stop paying for exclusives.

I don’t think price cuts will happen either, my post was pretty clear on that. I just don’t care about that. Although he was being facetious by saying it.

Yeah. And the only word we have for this…

Is the guy that walks back what he says all the time. There is no reason to believe him or the devs that are being paid by him.

If you could actually see different prices in different stores, and one of those stores offered better pricing and presumably offered enough through their application and store to attract and keep customers, maybe this would be true… but that’s not what he’s doing.

Great, so they pay for exclusives forever. I don’t care about that either.

It’s anticompetitive, but I’ll criticize that when the Epic store isn’t the little guy.

Well then you already know why it is controversial for him to say it.

Whether or not he sticks to his word… ever/this time, we’ll see.

All these posts, I figured everyone was talking about The Last Day of June being free.