Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

If you’re referring to me, that’s not what I am. I happen to work at Epic but I’m not posting here in any official capacity.

It is definetly a commercial success, but Monster Hunter appears to have sold at a better clip if we look at concurrent players (330k), so saying it has outdone anything on Steam isn’t accurate right now.

Yep, I have posted that exact Monster Hunter number as a comparison point earlier in the thread.

But please note that I didn’t write “anything on Steam”, because that would be obviously ridiculous :) Borderlands 3 isn’t PUBG or CS:GO, and is unlikely to ever be. The comparison I was making was to “anything released on Steam this year”. MHW was released last year, and is exactly the kind of thing I meant by previous years usually having a handful of games with bigger launches.

Ahem779340
This moved 1 million copies on PC , in the first week. On Steam.

Oh geez, you’re right. I cant believe that was last year. I was thinking it was early this year.

Where does the time go?!

Sure. That had 190k concurrents at peak, so I’d still bet on Borderlands 3 having sold more: Total War: THREE KINGDOMS - Steam Charts

But fair enough, that’s close enough to 250k that they can feasibly have equally fast sales. I looked at half a dozen AAA games from this year, and nothing was even close. I’m really surprised that Three Kingdoms was that popular compared to the Total Warhammers.

I would point out that because BL3 came out on multiple platforms, so it’s likely that they cannibalize each other. Few people will buy the same game twice. Some will, but not the majority.

3 Kingdoms does not have that issue.

I would like to see a more apples to apples comparison.

Chinese market is the difference. That also ties in to some of the discussion here earlier, about how the global market has grown since the release of Borderlands 2.

No one was claiming that, just that Pitchford’s numbers in isolation don’t say anything. As @CraigM said, we’d need full numbers to understand what they mean: have console numbers similarly grown? Has PC grown but consoles shrunk or stayed even?

The market is a lot bigger now than it used to be. That doesn’t mean the game was sure to find success, though, so hearing it has more concurrent players is great news for Gearbox. It just doesn’t really tell us much about EGS, other than AAA exclusives can succeed there (which I don’t think has been in question).

So, what is the most recent AAA title that came out on multiple platforms that we can compare it too?

I don’t even know if you can just grab a AAA title and compare, because there’s a lot of variation between franchises as well. We’ve seen higher numbers with games like MHW like has been pointed out, and surely many lower as well.

I think all we can really take away from this is that AAA exclusives will move units on EGS, which is terrific news for Gearbox or other devs because of the better revenue split.

Unfortunately, it’s probably Anthem Or Rage 2. You have to find a multi-platform, AAA budget, big marketing spend game, and those usually come out in the latter half of the year.

The next closest candidates would be Wolfenstein: Youngblood or Far Cry New Dawn, but both of those are more like AA games since they aren’t primary franchise releases.

So, as of yet, no good comparisons? So, we just have to wait a bit longer.

I’m genuinely asking this question, but what are we waiting for, exactly?

AAA FPS/RPG hybrid that is on Steam, Xbox and PS4?

That’s pretty specifc. You’ll be waiting forever.

I think you can just compare Borderlands 3 to any AAA shooter being released an all major platforms.

Sorry, I meant what is the question you’re looking to answer?

Batman, Batman, Batman!

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/collection/batman-free-week

Damn. It’s everything EXCEPT for the Telltale series. All 3 Arkham games from Rocksteady, and all 3 lego batman games.

Do the Lego Batman games have good voice acting like Lego Underworld? Or are they mute games like the Lego Star Wars games?

Edit: To answer my own question, it appears the first Lego Batman is done in mime, like the Lego Star Wars games, but Lego Batman 2 (and 3, I’m assuming) has voice acting.

What?! You think you can BUY my loyalty with free games? Phsst . . . wait, the Batman Arkham collection for free and even more stuff every week? Where do I sign up?