Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Lucky you. :)

Cloud Sync that works, Steam overlay, Steam Input, etc. You can get some of these by adding the game to Steam but that’s a pain and for somethings doesn’t work nearly as well.

So if Epic is doing it for you, then congratulations! It’s just annoyed me every time and made me appreciate Steam more.

The overlay?
I assume that syncing saves now works since I haven’t had any issues with it.

These are not great numbers, but I am sure they don’t expect many to do… math.

Sure they did. They have been very open about the fact that they’re buying customers and exclusives, and only a fool would expect them to be in the black year 1 hemorrhaging money like that.

Now what will be more interesting is their numbers in year 2 if they stop throwing piles of money everywhere.

That’s great news for customers that they’re going to continue to give away games through 2020.

At least 52 more free games, you guys!

I don’t think anyone who says those numbers aren’t great actually said they should be making bank like Amazon. It’s just way low for the customer base they have.

Even as someone Epic Skeptical, this is true. It is hard to look at their strategy in year 1 as intentionally being a loss leader in order to gain market share. I very much expected leadership and all expected to run red this year, and probably even next.

What happens once the userbase is there and invested is the question.

You can still have a large loss on customer acquisition but have a lot higher revenue. We’re not talking profit here. This is their revenue, and that revenue for their number of customers acquired is not good. To talk about red in the first place implies profit to begin with which no one is really talking about. Revenue is not profit.

Sure, but I wonder what the user trend line and sales lines look like.

EGS did not have the full 100+ million users all year, so the question is what was the growth rate in users versus revenue. With more full data, such as a user over time chart, you could do some math to annualize revenue per user. Because someone signing up in November and someone signing up in January would have different expected revenue values.

Don’t you dare get me started, Mr. Lego. Don’t you dare. :)

Sure. I am not making it what it is not, again I said nothing about profit. We know how this kind of works. Etsy has a shit ton of users who don’t buy anything too. It’s not something Etsy actually wants though. I mean it’s fine that they share this, but apparently the bulk of their users are not buying anything. It’s less than 3 bucks each.

Right, it means they succeeded in enticing tons of people to sign up and provide their credit card to get free games, but converted very few of them to paying customers. And again, I’m not particularly surprised by that. I’d bet nearly all of the people they did convert did so for a specific exclusive or a crazy-good sale, and both of those things are loss-leaders too.

Well enticing people who are presumably still buying their games somewhere else.

Well you don’t’ have to be surprised. 3 bucks though, that’s way lower considering they have the exclusives they have. Nearly every customer they have right now would cost more than their acquisition cost, but you can’t even discount that… because they already had a huge Fornite following. Some of those customers weren’t, you know, really acquired. They were already there. That group is still buying of course, but not really their third parties.

I assume all the first-party revenue is fortnite, yes, and only looked at the 3rd party number. Epic doesn’t have any other modern games in their store, other than Shadow Complex Remastered and I can’t imagine that selling through millions of dollars.

Well, I bought a handful of games (4) on EGS, so I’m glad I could pick up so much slack for the pure freebie hoarders ;-)

You’re making it sound like it would have be a lot. Even if a small fraction of the Fortnite players actually bought one game, I would expect higher than that. I mean we’re not talking about extreme purchasing here… one game from some of those Fortnite players and one paid for game from some of their newly acquired customers I would expect would’ve turned out higher numbers than that.

No. Not expecting profit, or high revenue from each customer just a bit higher than less than 3 bucks after a year of what they’ve been doing… keeping in mind that they already had a base from the start, their Fortnite group. This was not a store front that actually started at zero or even with zero paying customers. This should’ve given them a head start, an advantage with having that.

They had a base of converted users, you mean? I suppose, but I really don’t think a kiddie playing F2P fortnite and paying for a donut hat is the same as a PC gamer buying Control.

Going by their revealed numbers, that almost makes you an EGS Whale. ;)

I probably spent nearly $100 there the past year, mostly heavily discounted games.

Edit: Just added up the receipts, I spent just under two hundred dollars at Epic.