Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

If they told me that Nolf 2 would be there instead of Golf…

Have to disagree here. The story is better, yes, but the setting, world, variety, complexity of in-game stuff to do, variety, and moddability of F4 set it on another level. I’ve put far, far more hours into Fallout 4 than I have, or will, into The Outer Worlds. One thing Bethesda does well, even with Fallout 76 is build worlds, and the Boston area is fabulous. So is West Virginia. Both are far more interesting environments IMO than anything in the generic sci-fi setting of TOW. I really enjoyed TOW but in no way does it hold a candle to the fun I had in F4.

Though F4’s horribad main quest does justify a lot of scorn, for sure.

I used my $10 coupon to get Control to $30 and bought that in the sale. It’s my first purchased game from the EGS. Process was painless using Paypal.

Now I just have to play a bunch of it before next Friday for the GotY awards here. I really wish we’d do that in like February instead.

Oh wow, I didn’t see the close deadline. You’re right, January 10th. I thought in the past we were given the month of January to finish voting? I guess I should get on it too. I need to check out a few game pass games in case I want to change my vote. (Outer Wilds, DMC 5, Slay the Spire, Remnant: From the Ashes).

I wish I’d been able to play more Rebel Galaxy Outlaw this year. I only played a bit, which I loved, but not enough to vote based off of it. Maybe I’ll include it in the top 5 anyway, in the hopes that it lives up to that vote.

The current free game is something called Sundered. Apparently a well-reviewed Metroidvania game that I’ve never heard of. Installing now to check it out.

Wonder why the For The King game that was supposed to be free was changed for Sundered?

I agree completely with this. Check out the Fallout 4 thread. Survival mode there makes the game good if not occasionally awesome. The story? Ehhh…. TheWombat is spot on in my opinion.

Probably a mistake, they gave out For The King for free not too long ago.

Well, shit. Had Steam from the beginning and never knew I could add non-Steam games to it. Spent this evening adding what I could from Win10 Store and Epic Launcher.

Only ran into a few that didn’t work:

Doesn’t work:
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order /opens Epic+Origin, runs but doesn’t show play status in Steam presence
Tetris Effect /runs shows some splash screens and crashes
World War Z /runs but doesn’t connect to multiplayer
Metro Exodus /get an error upon attempted launch

Works:
Hades
Journey
Untitled Goose Game
WHAT THE GOLF??
Outer Wilds
Control
The Walking Dead: The Final Season
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw /with -EpicPortal switch and without
Wattam

But be aware that streaming of non-Steam games (if you do that) is currently very broken in the next-gen client.

It works intermittently for some things. Crashes often. Have opened tickets and complained and nothing has happened in 2 months.

Diego

108 million people spent 251 million on nonFortnite games.

Is it just me or is that somewhat low?

That does seem underwhelming, iff it’s an accurate read of this chart.

So customers spent an average of $6.30 apiece, and I assume that includes Fortnite. For third-party titles, they spent $2.31 apiece, which is… not great, over 13 months.

Their biggest hurdle is that there is nothing like playing an Epic Store game to remind you how awesome Steam is these days.

Counting a bit more, 250 million, of which Epic gets 12%, so 30 million. Of that, they spent 23 million on voucher coupons and 9 million on Control exclusivity, so they are 2 million in red, and then there are exclusivities of Borderlands 3, RDR2, Outer Worlds and all the other games, as well as the payouts to indie devs for free games.

So all in all Epic’s nonFortnite part of EGS might be some what, 50-80 million in the red?

Well, as long as parents of Fortnite kids are paying for it :)

I suppose it is a nice gravy train for now. Unless it teaches people to stop buying indie games because why buy when you can just wait to get them free. Might be harmful in longterm.

You got to balance that out with the chance that the market moves to a more equalitable split for developers, which I think is necessary for the health of the market as a whole.

And also that many of the exclusivity deals are in the form of guaranteed sales, so they should really be counted in the 12% figure (or whatever value for the given engine).

I don’t understand this comment. I’ve not bought anything on Epic, but have played a bunch of the free games and while playing them have never noticed a difference between steam or Epic.