Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Fair do’s. Yeah its a me thing for sure. I am the guy who shouts at youtube every time it shows me a video of political opinions I dont like. I cant just look away I have to click on it to get angry. :)

I just looked at the store front for two games that I thought might have some pretty vile reviews: Metro: Exodus, which was pulled from Steam as an Epic exclusive, and Gone Home, which is a walking sim featuring a gay protagonist. I didn’t find anything offensive. I know it’s out there, but you kinda have to look for it.

Yeah to my eyes I honestly think that screen looks really bad and not a high quality store front. Shrug, its cool, all opinions and taste. If it works for you that’s great.

Yeah, that’s on you then. I haven’t gone through all the extensive options in the Enhanced/Augmented Steam but I don’t think “hide reviews” is an option. You could always use uBlock Origin’s eyedropper tool and block those out but I don’t know if the rule would block it out for just one product page or the entirety of Steam.

Lol, Maybe they meant the steam community was the reason people were going to epic.

All 5 Linux and Mac gamers upset Epic owned Rocket League dropping support in March.

Steam reviews are amazing. Sure, you get some crap, but the ability to know right away what people have issues with, what the game gets right – steam is amazon for games. GOG reviews, for example, are far more nostalgia-driven, and the sheer number of people on steam means you get a better balance of viewpoints and a higher chance of a quality review appearing.

Yeah, I find the Steam reviews valuable. I mean, you have to first use a fish scoop to get the biggest turds out of the water and then apply another filter after that, but there’s good info to be had there if you take the time to dig a little instead of solely looking at the aggregate scores.

Steam discussion forums also document problems and fixes where most games no longer have forums.

It’s the first place I go when I have a problem. Guess who else goes there for in game problems, Epic users.

I am Jack’s total lack of surprise, as I said at the time of the purchase. Fuck Epic.

Epic doesn’t have enough money to support Linux. They spent it all buying exclusives and giving away free games.

And I appreciate it!

Yes, it’s hard for such a small company with so little profit offer the same support that AAA developers like Psyonix, inXile and Obsidian previously did.

As a smaller company it might have been worth it for them to broaden their appeal but the calculus done by a larger parent company seems to indicate the return on investment isn’t worth it for a smaller unprofitable niche. What’s wrong with that?

Changing the functionality of a product they sold as having it, or to be less friendly, killing it’s main functionality for many costumers.

Just buy a different costume dude

Most of the things I’ve bought on Epic have been disappointments. I’m starting to view the service as cursed.

I’ve only bought 3 games and 2 of them were big let downs. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw was pretty cool though.

What were the letdowns and why?

Phoenix Point: Just… what? I think I hate everything about it. Neat idea, but the execution is terrible.
It was a chance I took so doesn’t bother me too much though it was really a let down on many levels to me.

Outer Worlds: After hitting a bug that murdered Pavarti when I was really into it, my desire to play it withered and nothing has gotten me back in. The bug being fixed didn’t work for my save file, so… blah. Probably the source of the “cursed” feeling. A game I should love and then I never got anywhere with it.

Now with OW my big issue that I wouldn’t have had so much on Steam? Updates. Let’s say I owned Outer Worlds on Steam. Had this bug. I could go to the discussion, find out I had the bug, lament things and then… wait for an update, visible from my Library telling me when it was fixed. On Epic? I guess I gotta go to Twitter and hope Obsidian posts something I see. Wait for it to detect an update and hope that update fixed my problem, I guess? No way to know since I can’t easily see what is going on.

Not Epics fault per se, but an example of where their crappy system annoyed me. And I was already really annoyed that the game I was enjoyed got shot in the head suddenly on me. It’s more a me problem than anything, but it’s pretty rare that this sort of bug kills me enjoyment of a game so completely. Having to go to Reddit to find out what is going on is also a pain and just added to the already bad mood I was in from the bug happening in the first place.

It should’ve been a game I loved, but instead I can’t even think about it without getting annoyed. Those hours of frustration and confusion stick with me. I was playing it from release so it was quite a while before people even really understood what was going on. At that point I’d checked out.