Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Is there any resistance to give the player some hurdles?

Part of the storyline is creating inter-planetary supply chains.

So you create a village, then a second one, then eventually you find a broken spaceship and your goal is to repair it. And then I believe you go to another planet and do it over again. Because not all planets have the same resources.

I know for a fact there are space whales. But to be honest I didn’t get that far and I’m not sure how much of a threat they pose. It’s unclear if there are other threats or if the game is mostly an exercise in balancing your production change.

That’s a bold statement.

Here’s a book about Space Whale Diarrhea.

https://www.amazon.com/Space-Dumplins-Craig-Thompson-ebook/dp/B00SZIBTP4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=space+dumplings&qid=1590447139&sprefix=space+dumplings&sr=8-1

I don’t need a military threat or danger. If it is just balancing production it’s good enough if it requires some thought and good decision making to succeed.

I’ve bought Ubisoft games on Epic (FarCry 5 and Assassin’s Creed Odyssey) and they just get added to Uplay anyway, so you can launch them straight from there if you want, without the Epic launcher being involved.

can we not bring the Star Citizen thread in here?

I purchased it and am enjoying playing around with it. It is pretty complete feature wise but the balancing needs work. The new functionality added in the last update regarding guards and guard towers are pretty pointless at the moment and there are various little things that could be streamlined. However, in my opinion the game is fun and playable at the current state.

“Redistributables” often refers to the C++ runtimes. If these were in the folder then deleting it would cause problems.

From my experience since the inception of Steam (and before, but wasn’t that big a deal), the Redist folder that often comes ladden with games more often than not included:

Visual C++ 2010 Redistributables
Visual C++ 2011 Redistributables
Visual C++ 2012 SP1 Redisributables
DirectX9 Redistributables
etc etc etc.

Basically - INSTALLATION files that are not required for the running of the game after (or even before, as you had already installed these 1000 times already, most of the time) - and depending on how piss poor job the people making the game installer did, they’d either do a forcibly reinstall or just a quick check if you had the package (ids) in your system already, depending on whether they used the default installation files from microsoft (or others) or modified them in their superious wisdom.

Regarding GTA5 the Redistributable folder contains:

So it contains installers (For Directx9, Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Setup, Social Club, Rockstar Games Launcher) - that are not required for the running of the game (once you have installed the 50 diferent Rockstar services and whatnots) AND a little launcher file - which should then have been located elsewhere as it is the “odd one out”.

The game launches successfully without any of the files except for the 357KB “Rockstar-Games-Epic.exe” which is just a redirect between Epic and the Rockstar Launcher.

I know StarDock included required files in their “Redist” folder for GalCiv 2 or 3, which I believe was the .dll files used by Miles audio.

Yeah, was wondering if they had a similar setup. Doesn’t sound like it is, though.

Yea, but just one file.

I recall some developers liked to instead name the folder of “stuff you need for the game that we didn’t make ourselves” “3rdParty”, and leave the ReDist folder to -actual- redists, such as the directX’s and the VisualC++'s.

Better for all.

On the other hand, it only took Steam, what, 15 years, to make a SHARED Redist folder for all installers on that platform, so instead of having 100 games with 100 directX SDK’ installers, you get one.

I believe they’re used in the event that you need to repair the game due to missing and/or corrupted files. It’s like some Windows programs which keep their installation files - and if you delete them, you can’t repair the installation.

Also, that the game knows about them - and fails to run if they’re missing - tells me that they are also part of an integrity check that the game runs at startup, thus failing to continue if it doesn’t find those files.

Yeah, I ended up buying it. I figure even if it’s not totally ready to play today, it will be soon and I’m certain very much worth my six bucks.

Well, any sane repair/verification function could.

1. Check if its installed (i.e. all the x’s and y’s crossed in the registry that is so bloated, files are where they say they are, etc…) → Failure, can the user be asked to direct to the installation folder and run 2.

2. Check if it has the files (and instead of doing a SHA1 checksum on all, they could first just do a simple “is the file here and the correct size”) → Failure, what files do we need to run the game, do we have the installer for those, or can we grab them from somewhere with 3.

3. Download just the missing files it detects, if these are required to run the executable, or even better recreate the missing files based on parity/par files - depending on which has the smallest footprint.

I’d also question the reason for them doing a full file integrity check immediately, instead of first doing an installation check and “is this file here” check, instead of checking the integrity of every file already. I.e. Troubleshoot “soft” first, is everything working → ok, or still fail → go deeper.

Still, in the end only one file was required to run, and it was a “detour” executable to link EGS and Rockstar Launchers, not any of the “Redistributable” files. Might possibly be able to launch it directly with the rockstar launcher, just adding the lauch parameters that EPIC adds to. Going to try that :)

Edit: obviously this should be handled by the “installer” service, i.e. Microsoft Installer or similar and not be a wheel for every developer to invent themselves. But now we have UWP containers, so I guess the problem is solved :-)

So you are in this Epic Game Store thread to complain about patcher logic not meeting your superior standards?

Weird flex, but OK. :)

For such small files too. I thought this was about huge files or something, but these are smaller than 100MB, in a game that’s over 100GB in size by now.

Do you also go in and delete files that are 13k in size that you might not need? Just how short on hard drive space are you?

These days, if a file or folder isn’t at least 500 MB, it’s really not worth trying to figure out what it is and whether I need it.

I do wish Windows would show folder sizes automatically and let you sort by folder size, though.

If was related to a problem launching a game and then responses to replies, but move it to another fucking thread if you like, Officer.

Waste is waste.

“the ocean is big, its just a tiny plastic straw”.

Directory Opus is a good file-explorer replacement that does this for you.

I’ve been addicted to Hades the way people are addicted to Slay the Spire. It’s terrific. “Early access” but feels pretty complete to me.

Yes, but it’s not free.

These are:

https://freecommander.com/

https://explorerplusplus.com/