Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

I guess not letting you buy it even if you could use it is better than letting you buy it even if you couldn’t use it.

I don’t really fault them for that behavior since it makes sense for probably 99% of people in that situation.

I was going to buy it but if I couldn’t link my account then get a refund since it would obviously be unplayable if I did not own the base game.

I’m in a similar situation. To be more customer friendly, Epic should do what Steam does and allow you to add a license to their store.

My Anno 1800 situation is a little weird since I bought it on Steam before Epic paid them to yank it off the store.

I bought Anno 1800 of EGS last night. It installed quickly. Then I spent an hour trying to navigate the Ubi bullshit, log into my account, then it wanted, through Ubi, to do another patch. After it all, it crashed on startup with my external monitor connected, so I had to reboot, run it on my laptop screen, quit, connect the external monitor, then run it again. By the time I was done, I was too tired to play.

You’re obviously expecting too much from these games. Programmers are only human after all.

I have similar issue. Read some good reviews for Ghost Recon Breakpoint DLC, so I decided to get it on Epic sale (where I also bought the base game and through some fuckery managed to activate it on Uplay).

So now the game is purchased on EGS and I have zero idea if it is active on uplay or how to activate it. I played the game a bit but did not see any indication whatsoever that it is active, nothing downloaded either.

It is amazing how shitty and unintuitive EGS is. It has been what, 2 years since it launched? Any advice? I did try googling.

I think you only need to connect Ubi to EGS one time and then it remembers and registers future Ubi games on your behalf. If you have not connected the two, you cannot “launch” a game in your library. Instead, it will tell you to log into Ubi.

My experience buying a handful of Ubi games via EGS for myself and my family is that you often have to restart the EGS client completely before the “activate” button will appear for the Ubi titles.

I have had to click that “Activate” button on each Ubi title whether I’ve already done it before or not.

I restarted it and nothing, which is when I went and wrote the post.

Then I restarted it again, and suddenly the prompt to activate appeared under the game in the EGS library. Then it opened Firefox window where I had to login to Ubi account. I logged in.
Then EGS showed me little message in the lower right corner:
“activation unsucessful, error code…”

But it showed me that same message when I bought the original game too. Both the game and the DLC are now active (I hope - I started the game and little message appeared for 2 seconds “thanks for activating year 1 pass”).

One of those cute little quirks I guess.

And of course, nothing downloaded to let me know I have it. I guess Ubisoft just forces everyone to have the DLC content on their drive even if they dont have it purchased. Which is shitty too.

This is pretty standard for mp games these days, since parts of the DLC are visible to others. The alternative would be to split it up in separate downloads, but it’s easier to just have everybody download everything.

Achievements SOON!

Finally! Wait. “As you unlock them.” Does this mean I’d have to replay all of Borderlands 3 to get my achievements?

Because there’s no chance of that happening.

EGS coming at us like it’s 2007!

Seriously, though, good to see more features slowly being rolled out.

Yeah, I think you might have to pay me a decent sum to get me to go through that campaign again. Luckily for me I don’t care about achievements, so no pressure here. :)

I like EU4 achievements

But that’s because they do what good achievements do, encourage alternate play styles.

Yeah, EU4 is a bit of an outlier for me in that the achievements are almost scenarios or at least campaign ideas for your next playthrough. Even then for me they serve as inspiration and I don’t really care if Steam flags me as having the achievement or not. I’ve come to the conclusion that my brain just lacks the wiring that achievement hunters have, I know a lot of people who absolutely love them and don’t want to play games without them.

Yeah, my last campaign was unusual in a lot of ways, because I wound up comboing something like 30 achievments, with some of them being things I otherwise wouldn’t. Christian Imperial Colonial Japan? Really converting was a pain that in a straight campaign I would ignore. But it gave me some unusual options in that mid game stretch.

Easier for the players to download content they’ll never see or use, or the developers so they do not have to spend an extra week making a proper patching system?

Yes…