Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

I believe so, since I already owned it and wouldn’t have purchased it on Epic.

Must have been. I was surprised to see I have it on the Epic as well. Didn’t have the Metro game, though. One more for the pile that will probably never get played.

Looks like For the King was free on April 23, 2020. I’ve bought…two games? (Hades, Griftlands) on Epic store but I claim the freebies regularly, so whenever I see “Bought” on the Epic store buttons I think “oh I also got this for free”. Having so many free games is doing weird things for my game playing prioritisation - I feel like I should try to play the games that I’m paying for on Xbox GamePass but does this mean I’m missing out on great games that just happen to be given away??? Game Backlog Confusion ++++

On the game note, I’m only partway through a run that I started on GamePass before I realised I owned it - it’s fun and cute, but roguelike so I’m currently stressed about continuing it because I’ve actually gotten pretty far along and I don’t want to mess it up? But the longer I wait the more likely I’ll totally crash and burn the second I start it up because I’ve forgotten how it works. And I’ll lose all the unlocks when it leaves GamePass and grrr… Does Epic have cloud saves?

Boom.

ALL IN. HOLD THE LINE. TO THE MOON. DIAMOND HANDS. MOM’S TENDIES.

Not necessarily, some privately held companies have dedicated people handling investor relations. For example, Sweeney might want to hire somebody to deal with Tencent so he doesn’t have to, or they may be soliciting private funding elsewhere too.

I dunno what Mom’s Tendies are but I ain’t touching them!

Yup. There’s a few reasons a company would hire an investor relations person other than going public. They could just be checking out options. They could be needing one to handle Tencent issues. That said, I think people have been expecting IPO for them since the big money started rolling in. People would love to get in on that Fortnite money.

Depends on the mom and method of preparation.

Dumb question but why would Sweeney want to go public? What advantages would it have (apart from more money to raise that he doesn’t need) ? I always thought he was like Gaben and wanted to keep it private with him as majority owner.

Money. Shitloads of money. They can say anything they want but selling stock… it’s money.

Frankly the only way EGS makes business sense is to pump up the user numbers pre IPO.

No way. EGS loses massive amounts of money, you wouldn’t do that and then immediately try to go public. Doesn’t make any sense at all.

Now Epic Games, as opposed to the Epic Games Store, could be trying for an IPO based on that sweet Fortnite money. But the EGS isn’t some masterful plot to do it.

Right, but Sweeney in particular does not strike me as someone who wants more money (already has billions) and seems more concerned with having control over Epic.

I will assume no IPO is coming then.

Good points for sure. I don’t know what his goals are right now, but that’s usually a large driving factor for the change. … I also don’t think that listing means what it means. You can get investment, and they have, without public. Investors does not mean public offering.

Why is he investing millions into a digital games store in that case?

Good point, but if EGS is successful it will make him more money without him having to relinquish any sliver of control over Epic. Plus there is that idealistic “12% instead of 30%” thing which I do believe Sweeney is honest in wanting to push and make developers make more money from their work in general. Even if I dislike one of his strategies (exclusivities) to get there.

Tech sector valuations are often more about usage figures than profitability - especially if there’s clearly money in the business. I think the market will assume EGS will keep much more of its market share when the giveaways stop than is actually the case.

He could create the IPO so that he keeps all the control and prevents the board from overriding him. Much like Facebook.

Also, Epic is not just him. Employees/investors could also make millions. It’s not just about what he wants.

I know nothing about the guy, but ego, perhaps? To show he can do it better? Be more successful?