Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Yeah, so basically making more money.

Maybe he wants to buy more forests? I hear that’s one of his hobbies.

Wow I had no idea he did this, that raises his standing significantly in my eyes.

Maybe he doesn’t like to see a single player dominate digital games distribution.

What’s up with the crazy EULA on Metro Last Light Redux before you can even get the game? Is that a new thing? I don’t remember having to agree to one for Metro 2033.

And now it asks me to "verify my information but I don’t see any info to verify, hmm. Seems the store is having a bit of trouble.

Halcyon 6 is free this week.

2 free games next week listed:
Absolute Drift and RAGE 2.

Noice.

They’re also having a sale, but there’s no $10 coupon. The $10 coupons have really spoiled all sales on every platform for me now. Without the $10 coupon it just doesn’t feel like an exciting sale.

And I found it interesting that the last coupon from the holidays didn’t extended past the eve of the sale. Wonder if the coupons might not be going away.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/10/tech/tim-sweeney-epic-games-risk-takers/index.html

“We’re still a highly independent company who’s not beholden to public markets in which we have to show ever-increasing profits,” said Sweeney. “And anything like a fight like this [with Apple and Google], which loses us money for a year or more, would never be tolerated. So we have the financial independence to do that.”

Epic’s business model gives it a flexibility that other tech companies don’t necessarily have.

“Unlike Facebook, iOS doesn’t drive the majority of Epic’s revenues. Unlike Spotify or Netflix, Epic is highly profitable,” said Matthew Ball, a former Amazon Studios executive and strategist who has penned over 20,000 words on Fortnite and Epic. “And unlike almost all other large companies, Epic is private and majority controlled by one person.”

Ball added that the fight with Apple and Google didn’t come without sacrifices for Epic, which might see avid iPhone users find other games to replace Fortnite as the app spends months if not years in legal purgatory. “But Epic is uniquely able to push back,” he said.

I said it before, but the following quote really illustrates to me what is wrong with the current setup when it comes to Apple Walled garden.

“We were legitimately planning to switch to Unreal for our next VR project but after Tim decided to poke the bear we decided it wasn’t [worth] the risk,” game developer Ryan Engle tweeted in December. “I love Epic and Unreal, but business is business and the real-world consequences of Apple banning Epic is too much risk for us.”

I just got the Halycon 6 game but now when I try to install I’m getting a DP-06 error saying that I don’t have permission to install the game. Anyone else ever have this? I’ve installed games from Epic before and never had a problem. I don’t get the error right away, so I’m wondering if it’s timing out. Does that mean it’s server side?

I hope they IPO, I’ll be in. I made some decent money off Activsion/Blizzard, EA and Take Two last year. The whole gaming sector exploded with Covid.

It’s probably an issue with the default install location after an update. For instance, it may be program files instead of program files (x86). You could also try running the launcher as admin.

That’s a shame about Halcyon 6 not installing, because it’s a pretty cool game. I love the music and effects during the space battles.

I received an error like this several months back with some other game and re-ran the Epic Game Launcher with elevated admin rights and installed the game that way successfully.

Thank you! The install location was the problem. I don’t know why it would have been like that considering I already have at least 4 or 5 games installed already. Weird.

So…is Rage 2 kinda like borderlands? Is there co-op?

No co-op. Its worth playing I guess for the combat, but the main story is horrible. I never finished the dlc, just got so bored with it.

Haha. That reminds me. I never did go back to try out any of the DLC.

The whole game was just so “meh” to me.

You need to go back and hate-play it. :)

It’s not even really hate-able, it’s just kind of … there. But for free, certainly worth a look.