Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

For anyone who clicks that idle champions freebie and wants to play it:

• You have to log in right now.

• Bookmark this link and put all the codes in for free stuff:
    Combinations - Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms Wiki (fandom.com)
    Save the electrum and patron chests for now.

• Play the current event up to level 50 in each hero-unlocking scenario.
    These events happen every three weeks with rotating heroes.

• Every third week is a “free timegate” that lets you unlock a retired hero.

• Try to work towards unlocking the global blessings in campaigns.
    First tier in all except Icewind, second tier in Kelemvor.

I installed and played a bit of the idle champions game. Weirdly addicting.

I certainly play various idle games on my phone from time to time. Usually I’ll play one daily until I get it the point where it’s pay to play. Or I’ll just tire of messing with it for the ever smaller returns. Then I’ll grab another and tinker with it for a month or so. Enjoyable but totally a time waste when on a boring bridge at work or just killing time waiting. I just can’t imagine futzing around with one on a computer when there are so many other real games I could be playing. Or why you wouldn’t just play it on your phone so you would always have it with you. Obviously plenty of people disagree with me and play these f2p things on there pc. I just don’t fathom why.

My brother does them on PC. Auto clickers and scripting.

I actually played this one on Playstation instead, but just when I wanted a break from a “real” game or couldn’t decide what to watch on Netflix.

Aaah, that sort of makes sense then. If your stuck at the pc but want a brain break. Cool

God, I love lawsuits that end up revealing all kinds of juicy internal documents.

The thing that strikes me there is that those numbers on claimed games are way too stable. When I was crunching the numbers on Humble Bundle a few years ago, there was an order of magnitude difference between the key redeemal rate of a popular vs. filler game. These are super steady 2M-3M.

I think most of the free game redeemals are probably bots. With humans, you’d expect a steeper gradient.

$1-$5 to acquire users isn’t bad, but the real question is how many of them convert to paying users.

I think the answer is around 7%

unknown.png

7% is very, very, good.

I suspect many people join up for the free games and then got converted on one of those sales with infinite $10 coupons. So really Epic would have paid the initial acquisition cost of say $5 plus $10 to convert to a paying user, but even a $15 conversion cost is pretty good.

Doesn’t look like it’s growing all that much.

That was 2019 so starting from zero. Borderlands 3 they had to pay for the exclusive so a great deal of that chunk went to gearbox.

Too bad that the figures only include anything up until September 2019. Would love to see the the number of users that signed up for the GTA5 freebie and how much Epic paid to Rockstar.

The lawsuit also revealed that Saints Row V and the eternally delayed Dead Island 2, now under development at Dambuster Studios, will be EGS exclusives.

Are those papers legal to share? It has clearly marked “Highly confidential” on them?

It likely wasn’t legal to leak them in the first place, but once something is out, it’s out.

Yes, they’re part of the discovery process. One of the reasons why companies usually try to settle instead of going to trial.

In other news:

Ahh so they were not sealed, OK.

Btw, in case anyone cares about document dumps and Epic’s and Apple’s opening presentations: