Epic Games Store - 88% split goes to devs

Do I have some great news for you!

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/god-of-war

Nice. Three years seems a heck of a long time to wait for a game to come out on PC, and still be full price, but still, nice.

I wonder why Brad might care more about Steam and Microsoft than Sony and Tencent.

It is a mystery.

Yeah. I mean, the straight up fact that this acquisition moves Microsoft into third place in terms of revenue in the video games space is a pretty hard argument against this merger being anti-competitive. I mean, if they aren’t allowed to compete with bigger companies, how can they succeed?

As for Sony, they have lost a lot of goodwill in my mind over the PS4’s lifetime particularly because of their insistence of not allowing cross-play. This in itself is completely anti-competitive. If you want to play game X with your friends, you better have the same 500 dollar console is kinda shitty.

Honestly, Sony has kind of made their bed with this situation, and now they have to sleep in it.

I have softened a lot on the EGS exclusivity. I much prefer using steam as a platform (support, steam workshop access, achievements etc) they are doing a lot to be consumer friendly with sales, coupons, free games etc.

To me Steam is a game launcher and game patcher. I don’t care about the other stuff. Ok, I do like the reviews but it’s easy enough for me check Steam reviews of a game I’m interested in buying on another platform, so there’s no advantage to choosing Steam for reviews.

For me if I really want a game and it’s just as cheap on EGS as Steam, I’ll probably get it on EGS just to reward them for the free games and coupons.

Sony has a very very long history of this sort of idiocy. One of the most glaring examples is what they did with Betamax vs VHS. Sony refused to let anyone else build beta machines, and even though beta was a vastly better format in every way, everyone built VHS machines and because of proliferation it became the standard. The same thing happened with Apple and Microsoft and the OS license, which really hurt Mac for decades. If apple had allowed anyone to build their own box using apple OS, the world would be a very different place right now.

There are a lot of examples of greed ending up costing companies billions. Sony never seems to learn lol.

Oh golly, yes. Sony is infamous for forcing their shitty proprietary formats on users.

Oddly, they don’t do this on Playstation which is far more open than Xbox. You can just slot in a consumer drive to expand storage.

And yet you ok with Epic exclusives.

God of War on PC is $49.99… not a huge discount but not quite full price either.

God of War on PC was $36 on Voidu a couple months ago. Lowest “official store” price at the moment is about $40. The proliferation of these kinds of storefronts on PC is the major difference between it and the “walled garden” consoles, in my opinion. Not many places sell Epic keys that I’ve seen.

I mean, I did state that all my arguments were “tongue in cheek”.

And as I stated early, the only thing I care about is -

So, for the most part, I don’t care all that much about which store I need to purchase something from.

I know that sometimes I’m not the best communicator, but I hope this clarifies things.

That is a good point, and you do get the DLC built-in.
I just don’t buy games that are priced above 20 dollars, with the exception of Dominions or RPG Kickstarters so 49.99 seems high to me.
And let’s face it, we all have backlogs. We could all stop buying games for the next 2 or 3 years and still have plently to occupy us.

For me, it’s this + AIM replacement.

As for EGS, I know my individual decision won’t matter, but I just don’t want to reward a system that leads to needing multiple launchers, one of which only got marketshare via payola.

I mean, this has been brought up before, but when Microsoft was the US market leader during the X360 generation, it was Sony who was suggested crossplay functionality, and it was Microsoft who made clear they had no interest in that. Seems to come down to who happens to be in a more dominant position at a given time.

Oh yes, that is absolutely correct.

I can understand not wanting multiple launchers, but it’s not payola.

Maybe not 20-30 but at least 10 in my case, and my Steam Library count is still under 500 I think. Some of you guys with libraries thousands deep, I could see 20-30.

But keep in mind, some of our games suck.

A lot of my games are games I got in a bundle and will never play. Some of those Fanatical bundles are stuffed with marginal titles.

I’ve managed to curtail that particular buying habit but yeah, used to be if I saw a 10 game bundle going for a buck or two, I’d buy it no questions asked. I wonder how much of my Steam catalog is made up of total shovelware.