Equifax breached ... 140 million accounts. The worse breach in history.

I am torn. I think I can make a legit argument for about 5 hours of effort. I don’t think I can argue for much more.

Lie.

According to the eligibility website, I was not affected. So I was not one of the 150 million people. That surprises me a little.

And I heard on NPR this morning that the $125 per person is capped at $31 million. So, quick math, that’s 248,000 people. So if more than that sign up, the $125 goes down accordingly. So if all 150 million affected by the breach sign up, that comes to a little over 20 cents a person.

I don’t care if it’s a penny, I’m going to make them print out the check, mail it to me, and I’m going to cash it. Screw those guys.

Same.

I went with the credit monitoring. Thanks for the update @Woolen_Horde

Big mistake, credit monitoring is useless.

Can’t go back now.

At this point everyone should keep all of their credit accounts frozen and only unfreeze when necessary. It’s what I’ve done since the breach last year and it’s honestly pretty easy to open it up for a week when applying for credit.

At least everyone is learning their lessons from this terrible… wait, I am getting another update:

Yes, exactly correct. Freezing works, nothing else does.

Ms Thompson faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $250,000 (£204,713) fine.

So about 1.6 seconds and 25¢ per person. Wow, data is cheap.

For some reason I can’t find where I stored the 10 digit PIN for my and my wife’s credit freeze, and we need to do a credit check to get the power turned on temporarily at our rental property.

This should be fun.

Well that was fun.

What was the financial institution you paid student loans to?

Uh those have been paid off for more than a decade I have no idea

What is the minimum payment due on your credit card?

I always pay my credit cards off in full, so no idea

Them: Did you have a credit card that you closed? What was the balance?
Me: Uh $0 because I closed it???
Them: Yep that’s correct

etc… etc… etc…

Shit, why is it such a tiny sum go being with.

What a bunch of scumbags. They should dissolve their corporate charter.

So is $0 from Equifax, so think of it as ‘there is no wrong choice’!

It won’t be $0. It will be some non-zero amount.