ESPN's 30 for 30

They’ve done a crap job promoting them IMO. It was hard to tell at first what the big deal was, or even if they were actually on TV or were DVDs or what was going on.

When I finally took a second to check the guide on the DVR, I figured out what was going on. As it stands, they’re awesome little capsules that beat much of their regular programming, especially the talking head shows that dominate much of their airtime it seems.

Oh man… how can I forget Without Bias. That one is fantastic. I remember all of it vividly like it was yesterday, but I didn’t realize just how much it contributed to drug legislation, and that it’s almost a sort of unsolved mystery as to how he ended up with cocaine that pure in his system.

I was pleased to find that many of these are now available to buy off of iTunes for $5 each.

Iverson was on last night. You know, that guy went through a hell of a lot before he made it to Georgetown. You can really see in that doc how he turned into the guy he is today. Four months in prison certainly changes a person.

Here’s an interview with the guy who made the Iverson entry. He also did Hoop Dreams.

I really enjoyed Winning Time (Reggie Miller doc). Lots of game footage that showed the NBA before it got all pussified. It’s kind of amazing to watch that stuff and see some of these non-calls and really physical personal fouls and then watch, say, an OKC game where a guy gets called for breathing too hard on Durant. I think they’re showing it again this Saturday so I recommend watching it if you’re interested and missed it the first few times–although it might sour you a bit on the upcoming playoffs.

Unfortunately I missed the Allen Iverson one yesterday, but will try to catch it when they re-air it.

I am not ashamed to say that I really liked the Chris Evert Martina Navratilova piece.

Yeah, it was good. I didn’t know how close they were during their careers. And then they distanced themselves, and then became friends again. It was really interesting stuff.

Looks like they are doing a Bloody Sock movie. Not surprised, though apparently Kevin Millar took video of the ankle in question and it’s going to be used in the piece, which should hopefully put down the conspiracy theorists for good.

— Alan

Too bad I’m going to be on vacation on October 4th when they cover the greatest four nights in sports history.

You mean they’re doing a 30 for 30 about the four days during which I floated on air after Liverpool snatched victory in the 2005 Champions League final in the greatest sporting event in the history of ever?

Don’t be crazy, that was in May!

So the guy pitched with a bad ankle? Is that really such a huge deal? Seriously. Like he’s the first person to rise to the task under pain?

It’s sort of like this: If you can perform with the injury, you do so and deal with the pain because it’s only a couple of hours and then you get to rest. If you can’t perform, you sit.

Did he cut off part of a finger like Ronnie Lott so he could play? Did he get smashed in the face and have to get stitched up and then go back out like hockey players do? Did he play with a broken leg like Jack Youngblood did?

Stop comparing baseball to sports.

I wonder if there’s any context that might further explain the significance.

Naw, you’re right, probably not.

Now Mark’s got me waiting for gehrig38 to drop by this thread. Heh.

I haven’t watched the Little League 30 for 30 yet. Good?

Also, I really enjoyed the one on Rotissiere League Baseball. Very entertaining.

The bloody sock thing is definitely a cute piece of Red Sox lore, but it doesn’t have too much interest among people who aren’t hardcore baseball nuts or Boston fans, does it?

Some of these docs, while short, have been interesting watching. I had a personal attachment to “June 17th, 1994,” which was surreal to watch, having lived in NYC at the time.

Ooh, a Vlade Divac doc on Oct 12th. I’m so there.

head explodes

The documentary is called Four Days in October. It’s not just about the sock, it’s about one of the biggest comebacks in baseball history leading to the end of one of baseball’s most famous losing streaks. The sock is just a fun moment that really stood out. Frankly, I prefer Veritek taking a swing at A-Rod.