ESPN's 30 for 30

Anyone else been watching these? For those who don’t know, ESPN has produced a series of 30 one hour long documentaries about the biggest stories in sports in the last 30 years. These aren’t amateur films either; some of the people directing include Barry Levinson, Peter Berg, Spike Jonze, Ron Shelton, Joel Surnow, and Ice Cube. Tuesday night is the fourth film, titled Muhammad and Larry, and is about Muhammad Ali losing to Larry Holmes at the end of his career. If you’re interested here is the 30 for 30 website.

The first film, Kings Ransom, was about the 1989 trade of Wayne Gretzky to the LA Kings, and directed by Peter Berg (creator/director of Friday Night Lights). This was probably the single biggest story in hockey in the last 20 years. Gretzky left an Edmonton Oilers team that had just won its fourth Stanley Cup in five years to go to the second worst team in the NHL. He had just had what is arguably the best single season ever by a hockey player, was on a team that was a legitimate dynasty, and was one of if not the biggest celebrities in Canada. The film talks to all the major players in the deal (Peter Pocklington, owner of the Oilers, Bruce McNall, owner of the Kings, Glenn Sather, coach of the Oilers, and of course Gretzky himself) and retells a dark time in Canadian hockey wonderfully. Wayne Gretzky is surprisingly candid about his thought process at the time and how it feels now looking back on the situation.

The second film, The Band That Wouldn’t Die, was about the Baltimore Colts marching band and how they stayed active even after the Colts moved to Indianapolis in 1983. It was directed by Barry Levinson (best known as the director of Rain Man) and was the best of the three shown so far. I got my girlfriend, who only tolerates sports, to watch it with me by telling her it was about a marching band and even she thought it was great. The story is just incredible: after the football team packs up and leaves in the middle of the night, the Baltimore Colts marching band decided that they would stay together and do everything they could to get a professional football team back in Baltimore. This was an emotionally powerful film and shows just how much sports can unite people, and how it’s more than just a game but a cultural significance.

The third film, Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?, was about the rise and fall of the spring football league known as the USFL and was probably the most interesting of the three films so far. Mike Tollin (director of Radio and producer of Smallville, among other things) directed this film about the USFL and how Donald Trump was instrumental in its downfall. Tollin ran the production house that did all of the highlights and game films for the USFL and provides excellent insight on how a fledgling football league built up an impressive product on the field in the sprigtime and eventually tried and failed to go head to head with the NFL in the fall. I knew nothing about the USFL having been born the year it started, and was amazed at the impact it had on football as we know it today.The best part of the film is hearing from the players, many of which couldn’t make it in the NFL and were playing as much for the love of the game as anything, and just how much fun they had in this league.

As I said earlier the fourth film will be Tuesday night on ESPN and I highly recommend that you check it out, even if you only have a passing interest in sports.

Just to clear things up, this is a series of 30 documentaries that are each an hour long, not a series of 30 hour long documentaries.

Weak.

I’ve seen all three movies so far and thought they were all quite interesting. I knew a little bit about the each of the topics but of course they all went into much greater detail, and all had insightful interviews with all of the key players.

I thought the Trump interview was especially good. Trump’s line as he takes off his mic and leaves the interview was basically “it’s all in the past, don’t worry about, it was small potatoes” was such a huge contrast to everyone else’s seemingly glowing memories of the league. A number of famous NFL types who I didn’t know were involved with the USFL all loved their time there, and everyone besides Trump regrets it didn’t work out.

That did indeed confuse me at first. I was wondering how they’d get 30 hours out of Steve Bartman.

Steve James of Hoop Dreams fame returning to sports? Holy shit, this is indeed something worth watching.

I wish someone made this thread three weeks ago, though.

The Trump interview was excellent and a great illustration of how he cares only about himself. In the 80’s he was telling Tollin how great a job he was doing of promoting the USFL and now he could barely give the guy the time of day. I too was amazed at the talent that was in the USFL first. Herschel Walker, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Doug Flutie (admittedly he was a much bigger star in the CFL but he did win the Heisman), and Reggie White all started in the USFL.

According to the website Kings Ransom will be on ESPN December 6 at 4:30, The Band That Wouldn’t Die will be on ESPN Classic Christmas day at 5 (along with the rest of the films that have been already shown), and Small Potatoes will be on ESPN Classic November 22 at 8. It will take a little while but you will be able to watch the first three documentaries.

I thought that The Band That Wouldn’t Die was an absolute gem. For those that don’t know, it is about the fans of the old Baltimore Colts and the aftermath of the team’s owner pulling them out of town literally in the middle of the night and moving them to Indianapolis.

That’s right. Literally.

I don’t know, I kind of liked it.

Not Gallant’s comment. Where’s my 30 hour documentary on the 91 second Tyson/Spinks fight?!

I have been watching these as well, thumbs up here for both the concept and the execution. Especially The Band That Wouldn’t Die, which I agree turned out quite excellent.

It’s hard to get into documentaries sometimes if it’s stuff I don’t particularly care a ton about, but everything I have seen from 30 for 30 so far has been interesting enough to just grab me, and of high enough quality to keep me watching. As a bonus, they’re all shown with limited commercials - they run a good 50-54 minutes of actual programming in the hour.

Winning Time:Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks
Reggie Miller single-handedly crushed the hearts of Knick fans multiple times. But it was the 1995 Eastern Conference Semifinals that solidified Miller as Public Enemy #1 in New York City. With moments to go in Game 1, and facing a seemingly insurmountable deficit of 105-99, Miller scored eight points in 8.9 seconds to give his Indiana Pacers an astonishing victory. This career-defining performance, combined with his give-and-take with Knicks fan Spike Lee, made Miller and the Knicks a highlight of the 1995 NBA playoffs. Peabody Award-winning director Dan Klores will explore how Miller proudly built his legend as “The Garden’s Greatest Villain”.

I remember that game. I hated that man.

My wife was a Balt. Colt fan (still bitter) and a marching bander. I’ll have to keep an eye out for that one on DVD.

Relive the moment!

As a diehard Knicks fan, that was a tough game, but I’d already lost my heart for the team after the game in '93 where Charles Smith didn’t dunk the goddamn ball! Most Knicks fans will know what I’m talking about.

I saw “Who Killed the USFL” yesterday and its amazing the quality of players they brought in, and the footage was amazing. It was completely one-sided, but Tollin said in his interview with Bill Simmons that this was his condition for making the doc.

I’m a big, big fan of this series so far, especially since all the docs to date are about events that happened before I started caring about sports.

Did anyone see the one on the Holmes-Ali fight? Holy hell that was depressing. I can’t ever remember hearing about it when people discuss Ali’s career. He looked punch drunk as hell during training, fat and slow and inarticulate, and everyone around him kissed his ass. So sad.

I love this series.

I’m glad to see a thread on these as they have been superb. I didn’t know a thing about the Baltimore Colts Band, though I definitely knew all about the team leaving in the middle of the night (literally!) and moving to Indy.

I didn’t get to catch Ali this week, but I think it’s on again so I’ll set the DVR to get it.

As for the upcoming Knicks/Pacers one, I watched that game and the best part is hearing Walton writing off the Pacers as not giving enough effort before Reggie drives home the daggers. Love it.

Having lived through pretty much everything they’re going to show, I’ve really been enjoying these. The USFL was a big thing in its day. Shame they moved it to the fall.

Man I keep missing these now. I need to DVR them as well.

Also, according to wikipedia the Reggie Miller one isn’t on until next March? Not sure if that’s right I don’t know why they would have such a long gap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_for_30

That article also mentions the first one didn’t get good ratings. Hopefully ESPN will keep airing them.