Euphoria (HBO)

Is anyone watching this? I saw the first episode last night and I will probably watch another, but I’m not sure how I feel about it. I like shows about drug addicts, but I hate it that they are going so far out of their way to make Zendaya a sympathetic drug addict, complete with childhood mental health crisis. I am also not sure how I feel about all the narration she does. Sometimes it works like when she’s explaining teenage sensibilities around selfies (or whatever), but when she starts to talk about why she’s using drugs, it just gets really old. I don’t find any of that rambling particularly believable or compelling. The transexual girl seems like the most interesting character to me. I was a little surprised at how they presented her gender. I think it’s intended as a reveal – or maybe I’m just so stodgy I didn’t pick up on it until, uh, the scene where it was obvious. Either way, I intend to watch the next episode largely based on her character.

Big, small, shower, grower - this show has A LOT of 🍆 🍆 !!

Eggplant?

In an era when edginess is synonymous with craft, what could have been a one-penis-five-second exchange is blown into 30 penises shot in various states, distances, and angles.

Lots o’ cock!

Ah, yes, I figured, but I wanted to be sure, so thanks for clarifying. I was okay with the locker room scene. I disagree with the article and think that scene made its point about the character having a troubled relationship with his sexuality. I did think it was sort of shocking and odd to see so many flaccid penises. But not so original that I feel we should get more similar montages.

I kind of like what they’re doing with the transgender character, especially with regard to how they introduced her. It’s just sort of weird (in a good way) and out there for people to make what they want of her, as it would be if she were to show up at your school or job or what have you. They’re letting you just make what you want of it, without having her do a whole monolog on why she is the way she is. I wish they would have done the same for Zendaya, but thankfully they haven’t felt the need to revisit those first few monologues and instead they’re just letting her find her own pace, which I heartily approve.

I’m still not sure how I feel about the whole series but I’m three shows in and getting ready to watch four tonight.

I watched 6 episodes (stopped like 5 minutes short of finishing 6 anyways) and I’ve dropped it, mainly because of 2 reasons (not really spoilers I think because I think they get at this stuff in the first episode):

1. Nate - The trope/archetype of sociopath who can make anyone do anything because he’s so smart and diabolical. Super exaggerated. One of my least favorite bad guy tropes.

2. I thought the show started really strong with the focus they had on Rue and Jules and I still very much enjoyed the scenes with them. But as they started to expand and focus on the other stories and cast I really started to get a “DeGrassi: HBO edition with the full frontal nudity and the assaults” vibe and it feels like it’s just drama for the sake of drama at the expense of a good focused story.

Quick side note: The character “bios” narrated by Rue (mostly in the beginning of each episode?) are god damned amazing and I really wish the rest of the show was as good as those are.

I’m not much of a judge but I think the actors are really good.

For no good reasons that I can think of, I ended up binge watching the whole season over the weekend. Overall I mostly disliked the series and thought the writing and direction was a pretentious load of crap.

The young actors, however, were almost all excellent and the music was really great. Reluctant thumbs down from this dude.

I might have been a tad harsh in my judgement of the first season 😋

I just watched the new Special Episode and thought it was an excellent meditation on addiction, love, and spirituality.

This show is at its worst when it slips into self-indulgent lecturing but when it’s honest and real it’s pretty awesome.

I did not expect this to happen! A lot of Euphoria is pretty dumb but I like some of it anyways. I don’t have strong feelings about this special episode. It was fine and I wasn’t bored by the long conversation but if they were out of work for months couldn’t they have written something a little better? Part of the problem is that I don’t feel like this needed to continue past the first season because the ending was good.

I might have to jump back in this. I haven’t watched anything in a long time! I must binge watch something now to balance out the scales of justice.

I’ve seen 6 episodes of the first season so far. While I can see arguments about the plot not being what some people want (I’m liking it well enough), I could watch this purely for the cinematography. Every episode so far has multiple shots that are a mix of jaw-droppingly beautiful scenes and crazy camera work.

Maybe I’ve been in the wrong threads, but I’d expect someone like @marquac could extract a million beautiful animated gifs.

I’m lame, so I have to rely on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB_PXea_fOA

I shall look into the series and see what I can do. :)

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/euphoria-star-angus-cloud-role-fezco-dies-25/story?id=101879304

One enormous danger sign is people indulging in serious drugs / alcohol at early ages (12, etc). This almost never ends well for anyone involved in the situation.

The show itself is quite good and refreshingly honest and open… but very difficult to watch as a parent; it reminds me a bit of Thirteen which I intentionally did not watch.