Euro Truck Simulator 2: Slow Ride

It has very compressed distances.

The trailer for this is awesome – that song and truck driving to NOT mix – but I gotta say the visuals look VERY impressive. Grabbing the demo.

Likely as these are much, much simpler than flight sims. :/

Alright, I just played a couple of missions in this – no, really – and I found it surprisingly both engaging and relaxing at the same time. The graphics are also REALLY nice, I think, and I almost crashed a couple of times trying to look around. ;) I can’t see me paying $40 for this – $10 maybe – but I could see it being a nice diversion.

It also has a really nice wizard to take you through setting up the game, making it as easy or as hard as you’d like, which I thought was really nice.

Overall, fun time!

I guess this would appeal to the same part of me that kind of likes the civilian flight sim. However, some of the “fun” I’d get from those games comes from when things go bad and I have to pull myself out of a catastrophe by the skin of my teeth. What is the fail state here? You miss the delivery? Are there crashes? Can you get in trouble with the law?

This game would be waaaaaaaaaay more fun after a couple of bowls.

Desert Bus 2012

I guess you can crash because damage is modeled, but I’m not sure about the police. I bet’cha you could though.

Oh, don’t be silly!

Police aren’t modeled in the game, but you get fined for almost everything- going over the speed limit, blowing through traffic lights, smashing into traffic.

Damage is a big factor as well. The physics are modeled pretty well here, and it’s tough to bring a big truck like this from 60 mph to a stop in a hurry.

The game also has a mandatory speed limiter installed on each truck because I guess they are required on all trucks operating in the EU now. There is a mod to remove it though, which is extremely easy to install. Instructions in the video description:

How faithfully rendered are the cities? Is it just the Eiffel Tower amongst a bunch of genereic buildings, or is it more detailed than that? As a yardstick, I thought TDU2 did a pretty good job with Honolulu.

Does it support TrackIR?

Most importantly, is “Convoy” on the soundtrack?

It looks like as if you can add your own music, so maybe?

Don’t see why not if the first one did.

I just ran a couple of missions, and found it very similar to SCS Software’s other truck sims (the 18 Wheels Of Steel series, etc.). Which is to say, I’m enjoying it. They improve their graphics engine more with each new release. I like the engine. It’s always been very smooth, very stable, and very pretty. Not as pretty as the expensive first-class engines of today, but easily adequate enough to lose yourself into the world. And they’ve always managed to fit that engine (along with the sim) into a nice 500 meg download, which still amazes me.

The trucks have always felt right, the sound effects are decent, it’s got a nice variety of options (reverse Y-axis is supported - yay!), and it controls well.

All that said, $40 is steep for me, considering that I’ve bought all of their other sims new for $20. I’d pay the $40 if there was twice as much content, but as of now, I’m not seeing it. I’m guessing it’ll come to Walmart next year for $20, so I’m tentatively waiting for that.

SCS has always been a solid budget-minded development house (see also Hunting Unlimited 2009 and 2010, but not 2011, which was done by someone else), and this is no exception. I like it a lot.

I’m actually considering pulling the trigger on this. Help me.

You can get it on GMG in a few days for $24.99 if you use the front page code.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/simulation/euro-truck-simulator-2/

I dunno if I’d bite on this just now, I mean Farming Simulator 2013 is out tomorrow.

Edit: Supposedly. Thursday on Steam. I don’t even know why I’m talking about this.

If this was available on Steam, I would be more inclined to purchase it. As it is…I’m still thinking about it…?!

Strange question: can you change languages in-game, or download any language version if you buy the game? If I buy it, I would like to get a little extra kick out of it by using it to practice my German…

Strangely compelling. Bought, after playing the shit out of the demo. Thanks for the heads up.

What the fuck is going on here?