Euro Truck Simulator 2: Slow Ride

I would also like to know how to add certain streams. It appears that the NPR stream comes in a couple of different formats (Windows Media and .pls) as far as I can tell from their site. I spent a fair bit of time last night trying to figure out how to get rwd.fm, which is also .pls, to work and had no luck. I checked the stream with VLC and everything seems to work outside of the game, but it would be nice to get it to integrate nicely. I read some instructions about how to edit the live_streams.sii file with no luck.

!!! Didn’t know this existed, but now that I do I so got to have it!!! Is it playable with a steering wheel, and more importantly: do the controls feel somewhat realistic?

Of course it’s playable with a steering wheel. That’s the best way to play it.

I can’t judge the realism from the wheel because I don’t know what it feels like to drive a semi-truck. There is force feedback. Maybe you could turn up your wheel’s steering lock range so you have to spin the wheel more. For me, the simulation came from rowing through the 12 gears using the stick shifter on a Logitech G25. There are also a few controls to turn on and off while driving.

…Ahum, oke, I’ll admit the question about the steering wheel was, anno 2013, a bit unnecesary. Thanks for answering it anyway! :-)

As for the realism: I just hope it isn’t anything like TDU2…

Keep in mind that these are slow, large, heavy vehicles. While physics is important, it’s not to the degree that you’d immediately notice it like you would in a high-performance supercar going 210mph down a winding road. Also, you’re never racing in this game, so there’s no way to see BS physics working on other cars near you.

Try the demo.

You know Stephen Tobolowsky’s adventures are on his podcast, so you could just run that in the background while you drive. Hell, that’s what I do at work (not driving, but you get the point).

Yeah, I could do that, but I’d really like the stream from NPR that actually sounds like a radio broadcast. I found a decent compromise by loading the BBC news stream.

I personally change the radio station to one in whatever country I am currently driving through. It adds a ton of flavor for me, and really reminds me of the times I’ve driven around in Europe.

Yeah, I could do that, but I’d really like the stream from NPR that actually sounds like a radio broadcast.

Why not just play the NPR stream in the background on your PC while playing?

While physics is important, it’s not to the degree that you’d immediately notice it like you would in a high-performance supercar going 210mph down a winding road.

Well, you’ll notice it if you try to take an off-ramp at 80km/h and tip your truck over.

Well, tried the demo last night, and I’ll definitely be buying this (after I stop playing Star Trek online that is, don’t have time for both). Parking is hard, or actually, with the normal camera, impossible. With the top-down camera I found it doable, but then it doesn’t really feel like you’re the one doing all the work…

I do have some issues with the steeringwheel. It doesn’t let me use all the buttons I want to use (looking left-right, indicators etc can’t be set to the buttons on the wheel?), and especially at higher speeds there’s no feedback at all, making it twitchy. Part of this may be adjustable though, and another part of it (indicators?) might be solved in the full version? Anyway, even with not-perfect controls, it’s still very nice to cruise around Europe!

Lorry drivers responsible for crashes should be forced to play this game as part of their custodial sentence (for how ever many months their ‘ban’ might be in force etc).

Well, to be fair, so should every cardriver that has ever tried to sneak ahead of a truck at an intersection. Perhaps if they experience the annoyance of having to go through all those gears again, not to mention the truckdrivers horror of not knowing whether he’ll be able to stop in time now the space he left in front if him is gone, perhaps they’ll think twice about doing it again…

As for the above described issues I had with the wheel: I found a way to set the controls the way I wanted, after a bit of searching. So that’s in the demo aswell, which makes me wonder all the more: what ísnt in the demo and why should I buy the full version if the demo is more fun then I have time for?

I didn’t play the demo, but I’d be surprised if it included any of the management stuff. Basically as you earn money you can buy garages, acquire more trucks and assign drivers to them, upgrade the trucks and your garages etc. It’s not the most intricate of systems, but it gives some long term goals other than roaming around Europe.

You might be able to get away with just playing the demo. It’s been on sale before if you’re somewhere in between.

Look back through the thread for my comments on force feedback. I seem to remember a feeling of weightlessness in the wheel at high speed. I think I fixed something – maybe the spring force in the Windows game controller properties, which is normally supposed to be disabled for best feel in racing games.

As noted earlier in the thread, literally the only restriction on the demo is that you can’t go past level 4.

Ah, well that rules out the management stuff, as most of the upgrades and better trucks require you to be above a certain level.

I haven’t played far enough to tell for sure but it doesn’t look like any of the actual company management stuff is level-locked. You’re correct that a lot of the better trucks and truck upgrades require a level that you can’t reach in the demo, but that wouldn’t prevent you from buying the baseline trucks, buying garages, running your own hauling missions, or hiring NPC drivers, would it?

I might be wrong, but I don’t think you can buy more than one garage, or unlock more than one truck slot in that garage, at less than about level 6.

I thought it was only a level lock too. But their website implies they locked out some locations too. Did they release a second demo, or did I imagine that? Anyway, you’ll figure it out.

Honestly, I have no idea what the demo locked out. I spent about 4 hours piddling around with it before I knew I had to have the full game.